All-Star 2013/2014 Team Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's exactly how the back spot catches in this scenario. In theory they're supposed to catch on the side the flyer is rolling into so they roll into the back spot, but I'm not a fan.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
It is still Safer that way... IMO..... Been coaching for 30 years, and have seen way too many accidents with the T... But what works for everyone should be the way it is....:)

That's exactly how the back spot catches in this scenario. In theory they're supposed to catch on the side the flyer is rolling into so they roll into the back spot, but I'm not a fan.

There have been a lot of coaches trying to make this happen across the board. The theory is that if they step to the side, they will still catch and protect their face, along with the face/head/neck of the flyer. For example, with double downs if the flyer only makes it 1 1/2 they are landing face to face with the backspot, causing injuries for both. By turning to the side, you eliminate that. In theory, it makes sense. In reality, SCARY. We tried doing this with my level 2 kids during a barrel roll so that it would be cleaner and it scared me, and there is no way my 4s are going to give it a try any time soon.

I wanted to let you know since you are a good friend of SE that the staff, Courtney and Ben, and my eyes say they are the best they have ever been in regards to talent and potential.
oh ok. i was just curious as to why their was no new clip from the documentary thing they are doing, usually one gets put out on fridays... but im excited for SE/Coed showcase.

Top Gun teaches to keep your arms tight by your side. As a base, I love this. I don't get my face all busted up from my flyer opening up in double downs. We learn to catch as close together as possible and as high as possible, and the backspots are taught to catch shoulders, standing to one side to avoid head to head collisions. I have been at Top Gun for 4 years and have never had a problem with this technique.
This is how I was taught! As a backspot I really like beating able to completely grab my flyers shoulders rather than just catch under her arms. I feel safer, I feel like my flyer is safer and it looks a lot cleaner than having arms flailing everywhere.

Back