High School 2016-2017 Hs Competition Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Was it not Bill Ahern? I could be wrong, but I thought that's who it sounded like.
Other guy is Scott Thompson. He and Mark did commentary last year as well. And I think he's learning a lot for someone who has just recently become familiar with the sport, let's cut him some slack!

Shared album - Alexandra Kalakay, [email protected] - Google Photos
This is the first routine I've ever coached/choreographed and I am in love with it. We scored very low (6s) on floor mobility, execution, team coordination, and overall impression.
After reciving scores, we are considering changing the opening, and the formation in 2 straight lines right before they say "the time has come" and move into 2 diags. Also considering slowing it down & possibly adding more motions before the ending?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Obviously I recognize the timing issues, mind bobbles by a few of the girls and some technique things. Would love some advice, we scored in the 180s and would really have liked to be in the 200s.

Last edited:
Shared album - Alexandra Kalakay, [email protected] - Google Photos
This is the first routine I've ever coached/choreographed and I am in love with it. We scored very low (6s) on floor mobility, execution, team coordination, and overall impression.
After reciving scores, we are considering changing the opening, and the formation in 2 straight lines right before they say "the time has come" and move into 2 diags. Also considering slowing it down & possibly adding more motions before the ending?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Obviously I recognize the timing issues, mind bobbles by a few of the girls and some technique things. Would love some advice, we scored in the 180s and would really have liked to be in the 200s.

I'd be willing to help, but need more information.

Got any videos of the competition?

Got a link to a scoresheet somewhere?

The first thing that jumped out at me was the girls crawling on all fours. That would be an instant "overall impression killer" for me, but I am not familiar with what is "normal" at this particular competition. The words and pace seem...forced (for lack of a better word) and unnatural to me, but again, if this is "normal" for that particular competition, so be it. It could just be my lack of familiarity with what is expected.

I'd be willing to help, but need more information.

Got any videos of the competition?

Got a link to a scoresheet somewhere?

The first thing that jumped out at me was the girls crawling on all fours. That would be an instant "overall impression killer" for me, but I am not familiar with what is "normal" at this particular competition. The words and pace seem...forced (for lack of a better word) and unnatural to me, but again, if this is "normal" for that particular competition, so be it. It could just be my lack of familiarity with what is expected.
I'm waiting to get the competition videos sent to me! I pasted a condensed version of the scoresheets since I'm not sure how to attach a word file.

The crawling is super weird- I'll be the first to admit it- but after talking to a lot of state finals judges who are sick of seeing the same thing over & over we wanted to think outside of the box.One judge commented today that it was "cute & they love the personality". I do think it needs to be executed much better.
Voices are pretty normal. We've been getting 8s & 9s so there's definitely room for improvement. We're thinking they need to go deeper & a lot more choppy? It's something we've been working on but have been having a lot of trouble.

I also put a video of the team that's won states the last 2 (?) years in our divison (4, the smallest division). They were at the comp today and won as well. The round 1 in this video scored a 233.50 while ours was a 184.1. Our last competition we scored a 193.

Sorry for the long post & thanks for being so willing to help :) :) :)

ROUND 1 – REQUIRED ROUND – HIGH SCHOOL SCORESHEET

The following categories will be judged on a 1-10 scale using a tenth of a point system.

JUMPS

The first two jumps must be different

and will be scored on technique,

level of difficulty, togetherness and ease.

VOCALS

Voice inflection, clarity, squad

volume, appropriate choice of words,

and diction.

FLOOR MOBILITY

Accuracy of formations, spacing,

effectiveness, ease of transitions,
transition moves, visual patterns,

from formation to formation.

TEAM COORDINATION
Precision and timing of all motions

(mistakes, missed motions, punch,

crispness, hit.)

EXECUTION

Placement and accuracy of all

motions (high Vs, Ts, wrists, lunges,

leg positions, etc.)

GENERAL IMPRESSION

Creativity, continuity, team

confidence, overall impression,
and uniqueness.

DIFFICULTY AND VARIETY

Movements, motions, peel offs,
levels, enhancements, arm whips,
ripples, etc.

Maximum Points Possible TOTAL

I'm waiting to get the competition videos sent to me! I pasted a condensed version of the scoresheets since I'm not sure how to attach a word file.

The crawling is super weird- I'll be the first to admit it- but after talking to a lot of state finals judges who are sick of seeing the same thing over & over we wanted to think outside of the box.One judge commented today that it was "cute & they love the personality". I do think it needs to be executed much better.
Voices are pretty normal. We've been getting 8s & 9s so there's definitely room for improvement. We're thinking they need to go deeper & a lot more choppy? It's something we've been working on but have been having a lot of trouble.

I also put a video of the team that's won states the last 2 (?) years in our divison (4, the smallest division). They were at the comp today and won as well. The round 1 in this video scored a 233.50 while ours was a 184.1. Our last competition we scored a 193.

Sorry for the long post & thanks for being so willing to help :) :) :)

ROUND 1 – REQUIRED ROUND – HIGH SCHOOL SCORESHEET

The following categories will be judged on a 1-10 scale using a tenth of a point system.

I just went back to look at your video again and compare to the scoresheet, but it seems to be gone. So, here are some general thoughts based on the scoresheet below. These are things you can focus on developing not just into your routine for this year, but into your program for future years.

JUMPS Find out what jumps are considered to be "difficult" and spend the majority of your jump practice time working on those. My state has "pikes," "double 9s," and "around the worlds" listed in the most difficult jump category.

The first two jumps must be different

and will be scored on technique,

level of difficulty, togetherness and ease.

VOCALS I don't think your whole team has to sound like Richard Sterban (see The Oak Ridge Boys - Wikipedia to understand my hilarious analogy) in order to score well here. Make sure they enunciate, and are easy to understand. One of my pet peeves with routine formats similar to the one under which you compete, is that only about 1 out of 10 of the cheers ever make sense to me.

Voice inflection, clarity, squad

volume, appropriate choice of words,

and diction.

FLOOR MOBILITY This probably goes without saying, but as long as you are competing only six athletes, every formation must be absolutely spot on. Anyone who is a half step out of line will be painfully obvious.

Accuracy of formations, spacing,

effectiveness, ease of transitions,
transition moves, visual patterns,

from formation to formation.

TEAM COORDINATION See above
Precision and timing of all motions

(mistakes, missed motions, punch,

crispness, hit.)

EXECUTION See above

Placement and accuracy of all

motions (high Vs, Ts, wrists, lunges,

leg positions, etc.)

GENERAL IMPRESSION The longer you do choreography, the better you will get a hitting this element of the scoresheet. I think of something new every year, though the last three years have been more difficult than previous years because I'm coaching all girl for the first time.

Creativity, continuity, team

confidence, overall impression,
and uniqueness.

DIFFICULTY AND VARIETY Ripples with six people have to be DEFINITE. Meaning you do not want to give the judges an opportunity to THINK that something was supposed to be synchronized but wasn't.

Movements, motions, peel offs,
levels, enhancements, arm whips,
ripples, etc.

Maximum Points Possible TOTAL

Back