OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
looks pine brothers softish throat drops is a new sponsor for locthe. guess he'll just have to take what he can get and work his way back up, if he can even do that.

Are you Brazilian or have ties to Brazil? Just wondering.

The "ludicrous story" that was told by Lochte and friends, though embellished in some areas, is shaping up to be mostly true... so what is there to be offended by? The civil police chief in Brazil himself admitted that the two security guards were in fact state agents; local news outlets reported that they worked at the prison nearby and were doing private security when Lochte and company showed up. So seems like no fake badges there. If they did flash badges, they were real. (USA TODAY Sports investigation raises questions about Rio cops, Lochte incident

As for the corruption and robbery, it's not a complete lie. At first, it seems as if the athletes thought they were getting robbed, because of the language barrier, until another person, who spoke English and Portuguese, stepped in and translated for both parties. (Refer to previous USA Today article.) It's not a lie that there is a lot of corruption in Brazil. And street robberies in Rio have gone up a reported 24% from a year ago - murders up 15ish%. (Facing crime wave, Brazil to deploy 85,000 soldiers and police to guard Olympics - The Washington Post) There have also been reports of tourists being held up in Rio prior to the Games starting. So it wasn't like they didn't have a reason to think they were being held up. (Side note: if they were forced to pay more than what their "damages" amounted to, you could argue it was technically a robbery. But I'm not that petty nor do I really care.)

You can be mad at the swimmers all you want. But Brazil/Rio police have as much to do with the scandal as the swimmers do, in my opinion, more so. The difference is that, though the story might very well have been embellished by Lochte, the police force, a group with power, engaged in dishonest and fraudulent conduct, which is the definition of corruption. Verbatim.
I don't really think my race is relevant. And I have acknowledged that there is a lot of corruption in Brazil, hence why people were so quick to believe their story.

Are we all forgetting that the first story Lochte told was a complete falsehood? That he was pulled out of a taxi, had a gun cocked to his forehead? That all his friends got down on the ground but he was a hero and refused? That he was robbed although somehow kept his phone, watch and credentials? That is not an embellishment, that is a lie.

What if the Olympics were in New York, and a visiting athlete explained away their bad behavior by saying that they were mugged by guys in hoodies? We would be offended. Because that's perpetuating a negative stereotype of the host city.

Last edited:
Are you Brazilian or have ties to Brazil? Just wondering.

The "ludicrous story" that was told by Lochte and friends, though embellished in some areas, is shaping up to be mostly true... so what is there to be offended by? The civil police chief in Brazil himself admitted that the two security guards were in fact state agents; local news outlets reported that they worked at the prison nearby and were doing private security when Lochte and company showed up. So seems like no fake badges there. If they did flash badges, they were real. (USA TODAY Sports investigation raises questions about Rio cops, Lochte incident

As for the corruption and robbery, it's not a complete lie. At first, it seems as if the athletes thought they were getting robbed, because of the language barrier, until another person, who spoke English and Portuguese, stepped in and translated for both parties. (Refer to previous USA Today article.) It's not a lie that there is a lot of corruption in Brazil. And street robberies in Rio have gone up a reported 24% from a year ago - murders up 15ish%. (Facing crime wave, Brazil to deploy 85,000 soldiers and police to guard Olympics - The Washington Post) There have also been reports of tourists being held up in Rio prior to the Games starting. So it wasn't like they didn't have a reason to think they were being held up. (Side note: if they were forced to pay more than what their "damages" amounted to, you could argue it was technically a robbery. But I'm not that petty nor do I really care.)

You can be mad at the swimmers all you want. But Brazil/Rio police have as much to do with the scandal as the swimmers do, in my opinion, more so. The difference is that, though the story might very well have been embellished by Lochte, the police force, a group with power, engaged in dishonest and fraudulent conduct, which is the definition of corruption. Verbatim.
This. Adding that Brazilian is not a race.

I don't really think my race is relevant. And I have acknowledged that there is a lot of corruption in Brazil, hence why people were so quick to believe their story.

Are we all forgetting that the first story Lochte told was a complete falsehood? That he was pulled out of a taxi, had a gun cocked to his forehead? That all his friends got down on the ground but he was a hero and refused? That he was robbed although somehow kept his phone, watch and credentials? That is not an embellishment, that is a lie.

What if the Olympics were in New York, and a visiting athlete explained away their bad behavior by saying that they were mugged by guys in hoodies? We would be offended. Because that's perpetuating a negative stereotype of the host city.

.... No, that wouldn't be offensive to me in anyway whatsoever. It wouldnt bother me at all. The actions of others have nothing to do with me or the way I feel about myself. And those things actually happen in NY - both mugging and police corruption. And if it turned out to be a lie or an embellished story, which is essentially the same thing, then I still wouldn't give a single f*ck because there are far worse happenings in the world than lying, mugging, and petty crimes/misdemeanors to concern myself with. I'd be more concerned if the police in NY then acted in a corrupt way and lied about the story and their "findings" and then extorted the people for money. And at that point there would still be nothing for me to be offended about.

My issues with your statements on here is that, in recent light, it seems his stories aren't completely false like the media and Rio Police originally reported. Its been reported that they were removed from their taxi/prevented from leaving, guns were drawn on them, they did think they were being robbed at first, badges were flashed. They embellished the guns to their head, the part where after they learned they werent being robbed, and maybe Lochte's heroics. I asked about your relations to Brazil because you seem to refuse to accept some facts that are key in this story and I can't think of a single reason why except you have ties to Brazil or you really have it out for Lochte. If you are Brazilian, then the actions of the police don't reflect the image I, myself, have of the Brazilian people so I don't see why you seem to be so offended about us talking about the corruption there. You keep deflecting to lochte whose straight up misdemeanors and embellishment of his story do not even warrant media attention.

If it was the USA Men's Basketball team that did what Lochte did it would have been perceived by the American public very differently. Firstly none of those athletes would have been on the next season of DWTS or had ANY sponsors left, nor would they have been called out as embellishing or telling mistruths by most news outlets.

Last edited:
.... No, that wouldn't be offensive to me in anyway whatsoever. It wouldnt bother me at all. The actions of others have nothing to do with me or the way I feel about myself. And those things actually happen in NY - both mugging and police corruption. And if it turned out to be a lie or an embellished story, which is essentially the same thing, then I still wouldn't give a single f*ck because there are far worse happenings in the world than lying, mugging, and petty crimes/misdemeanors to concern myself with. I'd be more concerned if the police in NY then acted in a corrupt way and lied about the story and their "findings" and then extorted the people for money. And at that point there would still be nothing for me to be offended about.

My issues with your statements on here is that, in recent light, it seems his stories aren't completely false like the media and Rio Police originally reported. Its been reported that they were removed from their taxi/prevented from leaving, guns were drawn on them, they did think they were being robbed at first, badges were flashed. They embellished the guns to their head, the part where after they learned they werent being robbed, and maybe Lochte's heroics. I asked about your relations to Brazil because you seem to refuse to accept some facts that are key in this story and I can't think of a single reason why except you have ties to Brazil or you really have it out for Lochte. If you are Brazilian, then the actions of the police don't reflect the image I, myself, have of the Brazilian people so I don't see why you seem to be so offended about us talking about the corruption there. You keep deflecting to lochte whose straight up misdemeanors and embellishment of his story do not even warrant media attention.
I don't think we need to get this heated... I just think that you and I are clearly reading different reports on the events of that night. And I also think that placing the Brazilian police at fault, complaining about the alleged corruption, is missing the point that it was Lochte and his crew that instigated the whole chain of events, Lochte in particular. I don't think the actions of the Rio police were necessarily completely kosher, but I think the blame falls predominantly on Lochte And Friends.
If you interpreted the situation as the Brazilian police being the guilty party, then fine. I just disagree.

If it was the USA Men's Basketball team that did what Lochte did it would have been perceived by the American public very differently. Firstly none of those athletes would have been on the next season of DWTS or had ANY sponsors left, nor would they have been called out as embellishing or telling mistruths by most news outlets.
I don't think we need to get this heated... I just think that you and I are clearly reading different reports on the events of that night. And I also think that placing the Brazilian police at fault, complaining about the alleged corruption, is missing the point that it was Lochte and his crew that instigated the whole chain of events, Lochte in particular. I don't think the actions of the Rio police were necessarily completely kosher, but I think the blame falls predominantly on Lochte And Friends.
If you interpreted the situation as the Brazilian police being the guilty party, then fine. I just disagree.
Yes to both of these posts. I am perplexed that anyone can defend Lochte and company for their actions - they lied and/or were not truthful about what happened and allowed a media frenzy to occur. As soon as the media got a hold of the story, every single one of them should have spoken up and said that the incident did not happen as reported. It would have been resolved that day.
I am not made of a single bit of Brazil DNA (odd that question was even posed to anyone), but I have enough respect for a country to abide by their culture if I choose to be a part of it. The blame lies solely with those who chose to cause trouble in a foreign country - particularly one well known for corruption and extortion. Rio got so much bad press about security and venue conditions prior to the Olympics - so the fact that a few American punks chose to falsify information about an incident and make it a world wide issue is so disrespectful - all three of those athletes are a prime example of why citizens of many other countries dislike Americans.

LOL more people like KD and Andre Drummond than they do Lochte. Come on now.

like someone said before being brazilian isnt technically a race, and from the video it doesnt look like any of the people at the gas station were people of color so to speak, so how is this a race thing...
using the phrase maybe "brazilian culture" would have been better suited.

in the end, i really dont care about lochte and his "lies" or what his punishment might be. Hes considered a sports celebrity to most and will probably end up scotch free with zero punishment. Which i find more offensive these days, that all these rich white kids run around committing crimes and dont serve more then a day in jail (i.e brock turner, ethan couch, etc.) celebrities included.

our justice system is complete hogwash anymore...

LOL more people like KD and Andre Drummond than they do Lochte. Come on now.

If KD and Drummond did this they would labeled as thugs terrorizing the country of Brazil, even though that's what Lochte did he is labeled a 32 year Olympic champion who made a bad decision and told some untruths.

like someone said before being brazilian isnt technically a race, and from the video it doesnt look like any of the people at the gas station were people of color so to speak, so how is this a race thing...
using the phrase maybe "brazilian culture" would have been better suited.

in the end, i really dont care about lochte and his "lies" or what his punishment might be. Hes considered a sports celebrity to most and will probably end up scotch free with zero punishment. Which i find more offensive these days, that all these rich white kids run around committing crimes and dont serve more then a day in jail (i.e brock turner, ethan couch, etc.) celebrities included.

our justice system is complete hogwash anymore...
I don't think he will escape unsanctioned. Look at Hope Solo.

If KD and Drummond did this they would labeled as thugs terrorizing the country of Brazil, even though that's what Lochte did he is labeled a 32 year Olympic champion who made a bad decision and told some untruths.

32 year old KID Olympic Champion.

I will never get past people referring to him as a kid, I also don't think Lotche and Co can be defended. They embarrassed us, themselves, and the host nation and the fall out from that is more than deserved.

Draymond Green (Sorry, not Andre Drummond--I don't know basketball at all and got names mixed up) put a picture of his genitals on Snapchat and they didn't lose anything.

The Rio Communications Director called Lochte + company "kids," not anybody in the American press. The American press promptly told said person to screw off.

Back