High School 2017-18 High School New Uniforms/ Trends

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

IMO, that is a little high, unless they are getting some kind of super amazing warmup, or having multiple routines choreographed. There isn't even a pair of shoes in there. Did you get price breakdown as to ho much went to what?

I would think warmup would be $100-150
bows anywhere from $20-50 (depending on what you are doing)
Choero and music here would be about $500 total for home pom and one routine, divided among 10 girls is $50 each, A smaller squad would be closer to $75
Going with the high estimates that is $275, so they are charging $225 to rent a uniform?? You can buy one with all the bells and whistles for that. Even if choreo costs are higher, it still doesn't add up.

I agree. This was for a neighboring MS, I was talking with parents at our all-star gym and I had questions about that $500 and most of the parents just paid it. I told them there was no way I would pay that LOL. MS teams here don't even compete, they are strictly sideline and they have "cheer festival" where all the MS in the city get together to perform their cheer in front of other schools and its done at the end of the fall season.

The whole idea of unifrom rental, ect just blows my mind because it isn't a thing around here. Everyone pay s for all their own stuff. Most sports are the same, with players buying their own equipment. The exception being some team's jerseys and football helmets because they must be certified. Everyone pays a fee to play sports.
Total cost for Varsity cheer at my school this year was right at $2100 for new girls. It included
3 uniforms (3 shells, 3 skirts, 2 liners, 2 bloomers)
warmup
2 sets of poms
megaphone
shoes
socks, ribbons, ect
3 night 4 day summer camp
6 summer tumbling sessions

JV is not tumbling and has one less uniform so it was closer to $1600
Uniforms rotate on a 3 year cycle, so a second year JV girl will already have 1 of the 2 uniforms and a second year varsity 2 of the 3 so returning costs aren't as high.
This is pretty standard for the 7 high schools in our district, and for the surrounding districts. I don't know of any high school in the area where cheer costs less than $1000. CP's middle school was $860 this year, and they do a home camp.

I don't know why they need so many uniforms but its what everyone around here does. Middle schools always have 2. Most JV teams have 3, varsity 3 or 4. Our sponsor cut JV back to 2 last year and there was an uproar about it.

When I coached CP in elementary school it cost us right at $100 to outfit them with shell, skirt, bloomers, shoes, socks, bow, and poms via GTM.
We have an a similar yearly dues total. But we only include a $50 cleaning/repair rental fee for uniforms. Girls have to order their bodyliners when they join the squad (and if they need/want a new one later in their career).

Most of our cost comes from camp, choreo, and comps, as well as our tumbling dues ($750 for 10 months of 1 practice a week), as well as some 'booster club' type costs for team bonding, goodie bags, etc. Practice/camp wear, shoes, warmups, bags, etc are all on an as needed basis from the previous year, which usually ends being mostly new squad members having to pay for those items because returners having theirs from the years prior.

We have an a similar yearly dues total. But we only include a $50 cleaning/repair rental fee for uniforms. Girls have to order their bodyliners when they join the squad (and if they need/want a new one later in their career).

Most of our cost comes from camp, choreo, and comps, as well as our tumbling dues ($750 for 10 months of 1 practice a week), as well as some 'booster club' type costs for team bonding, goodie bags, etc. Practice/camp wear, shoes, warmups, bags, etc are all on an as needed basis from the previous year, which usually ends being mostly new squad members having to pay for those items because returners having theirs from the years prior.
Our squads are ground bound sideline only. No competition. I can see paying that kind of money for a highly competitive experience similar to all star, but not to stand on the sidelines at sporting events.

Our squads are ground bound sideline only. No competition. I can see paying that kind of money for a highly competitive experience similar to all star, but not to stand on the sidelines at sporting events.
100%
If our kids did camp and sideline only, our season dues would be easily under $750

I'll look into GTM and I could contact a varsity rep too and see if I can get a quote if nothing else lol
Why do HS uniforms still use a shell and a liner? Is there some benefit to that over just a long sleeve uniform top?

We don't use a shell and liner. I have a totally different tank top and long sleeved uniform. With GK, it was cheaper to do two different than it was to do a liner and shell with other companies. It gives us totally different looks, and accommodates the 106 degree game at the beginning of the season and the 40 degree game at the end.

Our cost for the season was at $900, which a lot of that being because it's a new uniform year and camp. They have the option to purchase a uniform, or "rent" one from the booster club, but this year we did not have one person rent.

Camp is the one cost that is always ridiculous for me. We are going somewhere cheaper this year because the local camp we normally attend was almost $500 per girl ($480 something?). And then to top it off, you have to have coaches there but oh! You have to pay a ridiculous amount for them too! Nope. We are moving on.

The whole idea of unifrom rental, ect just blows my mind because it isn't a thing around here. Everyone pay s for all their own stuff. Most sports are the same, with players buying their own equipment. The exception being some team's jerseys and football helmets because they must be certified. Everyone pays a fee to play sports.
Total cost for Varsity cheer at my school this year was right at $2100 for new girls. It included
warmup
2 sets of poms
megaphone
shoes
socks, ribbons, ect

Uniforms rotate on a 3 year cycle, so a second year JV girl will already have 1 of the 2 uniforms and a second year varsity 2 of the 3 so returning costs aren't as high.
This is pretty standard for the 7 high schools in our district, and for the surrounding districts. I don't know of any high school in the area where cheer costs less than $1000. CP's middle school was $860 this year, and they do a home camp.

I don't know why they need so many uniforms but its what everyone around here does. Middle schools always have 2. Most JV teams have 3, varsity 3 or 4. Our sponsor cut JV back to 2 last year and there was an uproar about it.

When I coached CP in elementary school it cost us right at $100 to outfit them with shell, skirt, bloomers, shoes, socks, bow, and poms via GTM.
Do they use all those uniforms in one season/year? 2100 seems reasonable with what you get with that money.

warmup
2 sets of poms
megaphone
shoes
socks, ribbons, ect

This is mind boggling to me. Where I am we have it set at $750 a year for newbies and I think around $3oo for returners with people who make nationals mat having to pay more once the team is set, and even then the kids struggle to pay. Most of them have to pay on their own (their parent's can't afford it) so we fundraise almost all of our expenses during the year. If cheer cost that much I honestly think we would have a team of 2 or 3...

We don't use a shell and liner. I have a totally different tank top and long sleeved uniform. With GK, it was cheaper to do two different than it was to do a liner and shell with other companies. It gives us totally different looks, and accommodates the 106 degree game at the beginning of the season and the 40 degree game at the end.

Our cost for the season was at $900, which a lot of that being because it's a new uniform year and camp. They have the option to purchase a uniform, or "rent" one from the booster club, but this year we did not have one person rent.

Camp is the one cost that is always ridiculous for me. We are going somewhere cheaper this year because the local camp we normally attend was almost $500 per girl ($480 something?). And then to top it off, you have to have coaches there but oh! You have to pay a ridiculous amount for them too! Nope. We are moving on.

I saw a GK uniform (I think) that was a full top uniform and a tank top uniform, and you could use the full top as a "Shell" to make a third uniform.
I was thinking of doing this and making the girls buy the tank top uniform as a practice wear kind of thing and then just having them wear black nike pro type bottoms (whichever they prefer/already have) instead of our usual practice wear and then getting the uniforms for the school. I thought it might cut back on uniform cost and give us the option to change the "practice wear" every year and always make it match the long sleeve uni if they wear the practice top over it so we could have options, but I don't know if that's really very cost effective.
I had just seen some tank top practice wear that looked pretty uniform like and it gave me the idea. Do you think that would be possible? Like if we had them use their own shorts and got the tank top practice wear from a uniform company and a T shirt from a local printer instead of a practice wear top from varsity, shorts from varsity, and a T shirt from varsity, do you think pricing would break about even?

How did you manage to keep cost so cheap? I think raising the price from 750 to 900 wouldn't break anyone, and I think that would be a really nice alternative.
And what do you do instead of camp? Can you go to nationals without going to camp?

Sorry for the 20 questions lol High School is a whole different world for me.

Last edited:
What @mncheerqueen said, plus we make the girls buy their body liners and then the program "rents" the shells to the girls for the season to cut down on wear and tear.

This is what the school I started coaching at has done as well, and the uniform "rent" money goes into an account that, after a few years, is used to buy new uniforms.

This is mind boggling to me. Where I am we have it set at $750 a year for newbies and I think around $3oo for returners with people who make nationals mat having to pay more once the team is set, and even then the kids struggle to pay. Most of them have to pay on their own (their parent's can't afford it) so we fundraise almost all of our expenses during the year. If cheer cost that much I honestly think we would have a team of 2 or 3...

I saw a GK uniform (I think) that was a full top uniform and a tank top uniform, and you could use the full top as a "Shell" to make a third uniform.
I was thinking of doing this and making the girls buy the tank top uniform as a practice wear kind of thing and then just having them wear black nike pro type bottoms (whichever they prefer/already have) instead of our usual practice wear and then getting the uniforms for the school. I thought it might cut back on uniform cost and give us the option to change the "practice wear" every year and always make it match the long sleeve uni if they wear the practice top over it so we could have options, but I don't know if that's really very cost effective.
I had just seen some tank top practice wear that looked pretty uniform like and it gave me the idea. Do you think that would be possible? Like if we had them use their own shorts and got the tank top practice wear from a uniform company and a T shirt from a local printer instead of a practice wear top from varsity, shorts from varsity, and a T shirt from varsity, do you think pricing would break about even?

How did you manage to keep cost so cheap? I think raising the price from 750 to 900 wouldn't break anyone, and I think that would be a really nice alternative.
And what do you do instead of camp? Can you go to nationals without going to camp?

Sorry for the 20 questions lol High School is a whole different world for me.

I highly recommend going to a local t-shirt shop for practice shirts. Often times you can get them around $10 or less rather than $22 form Varsity.
While our costs are not "cheap" we do have the lowest cost of competitive cheer in the state. We do a lot of fundraising (bagging groceries, Chipotle nights, working school concessions etc.) but our biggest fundraiser has always been hosting our own local competition. By hosting this competition we make money from the concessions, cheer grams, competition t-shirts and bows, and the competition registration fees. While it is a lot of work for coaches and boosters it helps save the girls a lot of money in the long run.

I can only speak for UCA Nationals and NCA Nationals but you are required to attend a camp in order to attend their nationals. The cheapest option regarding this I believe doing a home camp for your team. I really recommend the home camps anyway because they are really customizable and concentrate on what you as a coach want.

Hope I helped answering some questions!

ac2vxd.jpg

One of our new looks

We have the rent option as well, but pretty much everyone buys- our total package withwhite uniform, red skirt (red Classic school cold weather shell is all loaners from the school ) 4 bows, 4 camp day outfits with matching sports bras, warm ups, shoes, V neck pullover, bag , poms and spirit tee ends up about $1400... 1650 if you're on comp and purchase a black comp uniform, out the door... we do UCA at home camp (4 day) and 2 day JUST ONE camp (for Varsity) 2 day UCA (home camp) for JV ... camp cost is donated. I do custom ink all the time for our team tee and sponsor tees, I use GK for our team hoodie (like their sublimated looks) however prefer Varsity for pretty much everything else...LOVE MY REP and the quality (she outfitted me in HS... she's practically a fairy godmother)

Do they use all those uniforms in one season/year? 2100 seems reasonable with what you get with that money.

Yep. One for home games, one for away, and Varsity has a 3rd that gets used for special events (homecoming, senior night ect). One uni rotates out every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back