2017-18 Usasf Cheer Rules & Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They just changed the age grid:
"
Dear USASF Cheer Program Members:

The USASF is listening to input from members regarding the Cheer Age Grid and Exhibition status for Tiny teams for the 2017-18 event season. As plans for team placements and tryouts are underway, concerns have been brought forward by coaches recently about the ability of programs to field teams within the 2017-18 Age Grid parameters. Additionally, while there is broad support of the 2017-18 safety guidelines for Tiny teams, concern has been voiced about limiting Tiny teams to exhibition only.

As a result of these recent concerns, the Board of Directors has determined that the prudent action for 2017-18 is to allow time for continued member discussion through Regional Conventions and Committee Meetings this summer and then make final decisions for the 2018-19 event season. Effective immediately, the following adjustments will be made to the Age Grid for the 2017-18 event season:

1. The new Age Grid will be updated to reflect the following changes to the division offerings:

• Tiny: 5 – 6 years old
  • Mini: 5 – 8 years old
  • Youth: 5 – 11 years old
  • Junior: 5 – 14 years old
  • Senior (non-Worlds Divisions): 10 – 18 years old
2. The new Safety Guidelines for Tiny Pre-Teams (ages 3 to 6 years old) will remain as posted for 2017-18, but they will also be permitted to compete rather than being limited to Exhibition only.

3. The revised Cheer Rules and Age Grid reflecting the above points will be posted on USASF.net as soon as possible.

The Board's focus is always on upholding the spirit of the USASF mission, which starts with supporting our members. We are confident that this decision will allow additional time for further conversation about Age Grid adjustments in upcoming seasons.

Sincerely,
USASF Board of Directors"

5 on a Junior team? Is that a typo?

Sorry, I didn't see this and made a separate thread for it. Why did they move senior age up to 11 , if they were just going to move it back down to 10?

I did not see this and made a separate thread for it. Sorry Why did they move senior age up to 11 , if they were just going to move it back down to 10?
Looks like they took out all the new bottom age changes and put them back where they were (except for under 5) due to people being unhappy about the changes.

Since a discussion is already going on here, feel free to delete the thread I started.

Thanks

I am really concerned about the ages for Juniors (5-14) and Seniors (10-18)...I think, the age spread for these 2 divisions is too wide and socialization of the very young and older athletes might be a problem,,, particularly, having 5 year olds on a Junior level team... I think, the age grid should be
Tiny - Exhibition 3/4
Tiny - 5/6
Mini - 6 - 8
Youth - 8-11
Juniors - `12-14
Seniors (Worlds & Non-Worlds) 13-18

I think, every division have some breathing space and no athlete will be rushed or pushed to higher levels before they are ready...Personally, I think, the new age grid is detrimental to the development of flyers and will cause older flyers to be taken out of the air in favorite of the younger flyers sooner... jmo

I am really concerned about the ages for Juniors (5-14) and Seniors (10-18)...I think, the age spread for these 2 divisions is too wide and socialization of the very young and older athletes might be a problem,,, particularly, having 5 year olds on a Junior level team... I think, the age grid should be
Tiny - Exhibition 3/4
Tiny - 5/6
Mini - 6 - 8
Youth - 8-11
Juniors - `12-14

I think, every division have some breathing space and no athlete will be rushed or pushed to higher levels before they are ready...Personally, I think, this age grid is detrimental to the development of flyers and will cause older flyers to be taken out of the air in favorite of the younger flyers sooner... jmo
This is essentially what they tried to change it to. All they did was pretty much change it back to what it already was. The only thing different between the "new" changes and what it's been the last however many seasons is a bottom age of 5 where there was 0 bottom age before.

Tiny - Exhibition 3/4
Tiny - 5/6
Mini - 6 - 8
Youth - 8-11
Juniors - `12-14

I think, every division have some breathing space and no athlete will be rushed or pushed to higher levels before they are ready...Personally, I think, the new age grid is detrimental to the development of flyers and will cause older flyers to be taken out of the air in favorite of the younger flyers sooner... jmo

I agree. I did not like the new grid that they presented a few months back because I thought the ages were too spread out. I don't see a reason that an 8 year old girl needs to be on a junior team with a 13 year old. My daughter is only 12 (this season her cheer age is 13), and she will most likely be on a senior team. I don't find that appropriate either.
The grid you have listed is the only one I have ever agreed with.

I agree. I did not like the new grid that they presented a few months back because I thought the ages were too spread out. I don't see a reason that an 8 year old girl needs to be on a junior team with a 13 year old. My daughter is only 12 (this season her cheer age is 13), and she will most likely be on a senior team. I don't find that appropriate either.
The grid you have listed is the only one I have ever agreed with.

The bigger spread was designed to give small gums more flexibility. In a gym of 30 kids sometimes it's necessary to put an 8 year old on a junior team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger spread was designed to give small gums more flexibility. In a gym of 30 kids sometimes it's necessary to put an 8 year old on a junior team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand it. My CP was a 9 year old on a junior 2 squad at a gym with 27 kids at one point. It wasn't exactly the most appropriate experience for her to be hanging out with older girls. So we have been in the shoes of others in a small gym. I just wish there was a way that they could have tighter age grids for those gyms that will only compete as D1. And those gyms who small gyms who wish to only compete as D2 could use the more liberal age grid.

Back