2017-18 Usasf Cheer Rules & Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My question also...so no more lucky 7 at worlds for example?
I can never remember which division Lucky 7 is in, but if they're coed, they would very much still be eligible.

Let's say they have 6 females and 1 male, that still fulfils the 1-5 males & 5-22 total athletes criteria.

Exactly.. My Cp is on a Small 5 AG and while we have more than 15 currently, that could change next year as we are a smaller gym. Our first year as SS5 we only had 13-14 girls and made it to Worlds, but according to the grid, you cannot be eligible and therefore my guess is that most girls will go elsewhere if they can't be worlds eligible. Could be very bad for small gyms.

They've been international the last few seasons so this wouldn't affect that team in particular. But I have no idea what the intention is, it's likely just a typo. I don't see them not allowing teams to go to Worlds just because of their size.

I am really glad about the bottom ages on the divisions, but I'm also glad it is happening next season instead of this season. The gym I coach at is extremely small, around 65 athletes (four teams total). It would have been really difficult for us to field teams this year with those bottom ages. We have 7 year olds on our junior 1 and 2 teams because we weren't able to field youth/mini level 1 or 2. Both of those teams have summit bids though, so I suppose they were able to hang with it this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't affect CP now, but the new age grid would have prevented her from cheering at her gym last year. She was on a J2 team and her "cheer age" was 7. There was no youth or mini team at that time. I think small gyms will be the most affected by the bottom ages and even raising senior age to 11, sometimes I think D2 gyms should have slightly different age requirements.

I'd imagine there has to be some typos on the grid? There are different ranges for Male vs AG, seems highly unlikely they would allow dor 8 kids to compete medium? Im confused if there is a minimum of 15 for Small for AG, how is that going to work for small gyms that have a Small Senior 5 AG but only have say 14 athletes with 3 stunt groups. Are they now wiped out of Worlds or can they compete as small still. According to the grid, they cannot? That seems crazy to me...
It seems like a typo or mistake. It is a little complicated to explain, however, because division can be determined by EITHER number on team OR by number of males.

My quick attempt:

If there is at least 1 male on your senior 5 team, two factors may determine division for coed senior 5 teams - number of total athletes on the floor and/or number of males. Teams shall compete in the largest division they qualify for by either standard.

Total athletes:
XSmall: 5-14
Small: 15-20
Medium: 21-30
Large: 31-38​

Males
XSmall: 1-2
Small: 3-5
Medium: 6-8
Large: 9-18
A team of (10 males, 0 females) would be large coed, as would (1 male, 37 females)

You would also need to define what is going to count as "male".

Otherwise, a maxed out X small coed team with 14 members, 2 of which are males, could compete as part of the large coed division (they are within range)? At the end of the day, scores are based on ratio anyway, right? And you'd probably have an easier time trying to qualify for finals at Worlds in a division with fewer teams. Plus, you go straight to semis even with just an at-large bid for the large divisions.
I am pretty sure this is the current rule as well, so I don't think it is a typo.

ETA: I am assuming that teams with less than 15 athletes can compete at worlds in the small coed/small AG division in 2018, but there won't be a separate division for X small teams. I certainly could be reading that wrong through.

Last edited:
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think with the small coed teams now that have 3 stunts and 1-2 males that compete at worlds, x small coed '17-'18 should be worlds eligible. As it's been said, worlds teams that are already that small could lose their athletes for the sole fact that they won't have the opportunity to perform at worlds.

Also could anybody please tell me how old a child has to be to be eligible for a senior team for this current season?

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think with the small coed teams now that have 3 stunts and 1-2 males that compete at worlds, x small coed '17-'18 should be worlds eligible. As it's been said, worlds teams that are already that small could lose their athletes for the sole fact that they won't have the opportunity to perform at worlds.

Also could anybody please tell me how old a child has to be to be eligible for a senior team for this current season?
X small coed teams are Worlds eligible, they'd just have to compete under the small coed division. It's just that "X small coed" division itself won't exist at Worlds, but I don't think X small coed teams are exclusive to their own division and aren't allowed to compete for a bid under the small coed division.

It depends on which type of Senior team. If you're referring to Worlds divisions, then at least 12. For non-Worlds, it should be at least 11.

Currently, for the 16-17 season it is 12 for senior worlds teams and 10 for 1-5r.

Exactly.. My Cp is on a Small 5 AG and while we have more than 15 currently, that could change next year as we are a smaller gym. Our first year as SS5 we only had 13-14 girls and made it to Worlds, but according to the grid, you cannot be eligible and therefore my guess is that most girls will go elsewhere if they can't be worlds eligible. Could be very bad for small gyms.
Not trying to be un-pc or anything ... but they would still be eligible (if the guidelines posted are not a mistake --- coed divisions) as a coed team if at least one athlete identified as a male, right? So if these guidelines are not a mistake...and one girl identifies as a male... a team of 13 girls could compete in ANY of the coed divisions.

I am really glad about the bottom ages on the divisions, but I'm also glad it is happening next season instead of this season. The gym I coach at is extremely small, around 65 athletes (four teams total). It would have been really difficult for us to field teams this year with those bottom ages. We have 7 year olds on our junior 1 and 2 teams because we weren't able to field youth/mini level 1 or 2. Both of those teams have summit bids though, so I suppose they were able to hang with it this season!

Why are you glad about it? Don't you think it will be equally difficult to field those teams next year? It's going to make things interesting to say the least at our small gym. I think we are going to lose some higher level young athletes because we won't be able to offer level appropriate teams for them. I think its going to really effect the growth of small programs in areas where bigger ones are an option. For instance, a 10 year old with level 4 skills is much more likely to head to a gym that can offer her a J4, than to stay with a smaller gym on a J2 because that is all they can field. Under the old rules, she could have been placed on senior 4.

Why are you glad about it? Don't you think it will be equally difficult to field those teams next year? It's going to make things interesting to say the least at our small gym. I think we are going to lose some higher level young athletes because we won't be able to offer level appropriate teams for them. I think its going to really effect the growth of small programs in areas where bigger ones are an option. For instance, a 10 year old with level 4 skills is much more likely to head to a gym that can offer her a J4, than to stay with a smaller gym on a J2 because that is all they can field. Under the old rules, she could have been placed on senior 4.

Our situation this year wasn't ideal. I'm in 100% support of bottom ages. I think we (as a sport) need bottom ages. We will adapt, and be fine. Will it be difficult? Possibly/probably. Hopefully the number of athletes increase for next season so it will be easier to field teams, but if not, we will adapt.

It seems like a typo or mistake. It is a little complicated to explain, however, because division can be determined by EITHER number on team OR by number of males.

My quick attempt:

If there is at least 1 male on your senior 5 team, two factors may determine division for coed senior 5 teams - number of total athletes on the floor and/or number of males. Teams shall compete in the largest division they qualify for by either standard.

Total athletes:
XSmall: 5-14
Small: 15-20
Medium: 21-30
Large: 31-38​

Males
XSmall: 1-2
Small: 3-5
Medium: 6-8
Large: 9-18
A team of (10 males, 0 females) would be large coed, as would (1 male, 37 females)

You would also need to define what is going to count as "male".

would they be forced to compete in the large coed division though. I can see that as being a huge disadvantage. Granted i dont think ive seen a team with those kinds of numbers, but i dont see how that would be fair.

Back