All-Star 2017-2018 New Locations/acquisitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh yeah, I see athletes talking alllllll the time about wanting *insert mega gym here* to come to KC. Unfortunately it's really going to destroy the cheer market in the surrounding area. This makes me I'm glad I'm not coaching anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find it interesting that this is the case (and it is, because I hear the same thing from all areas of the country) because it is very rare to see a "mega gym" operate the same way and/or be as successful in their expanded locations as they are in their original location. It goes to show how important brand names are to people.

I find it interesting that this is the case (and it is, because I hear the same thing from all areas of the country) because it is very rare to see a "mega gym" operate the same way and/or be as successful in their expanded locations as they are in their original location. It goes to show how important brand names are to people.

Couldn't agree more.

So true
So just slapping a big name gym on your door doesn't guarantee success.
I see very few mega gyms that all their locations are equally strong.
Cheer athletics seems to do the best job of making sure all their locations are run the same And are all doing pretty well.

Cheer Athletics IMO has the best model for it that I have seen out of all the gym that have done this. They are extremely conscientious about when and where they open a location and they due so with the major intent of promoting talent from within to new opportunities. This quality control is a major factor in the success of their other locations IMO.

I want to throw World Cup's name in the ring for great expansion model as well. Between the Jersey gym and two PA gyms, theres solid talent and great programs in place at all three. And as a resident of the area, (closest to Easton actually), It's been wonderful watching them expand. Im excited to see WC Connecticut this year! Hoping for all good things.

I appreciate the kind words. In general, I am proud of the way we have handled our expansion. We have absolutely made some mistakes and would handle some things differently if we had it to do over again, but I like our progress so far.

It is interesting to me to see the drastically different viewpoints on the "megagyms" and expansion phenomenon. I know that the way some of our moves have been characterized is, at times, the exact opposite of the way we view our motives internally. I won't pretend that every move we make is pure rainbows and goodness, but we generally believe that we are doing things for the right reasons.

The huge differences between why (some) people THINK we are doing something vs how we believe we are doing it makes me question my own assumptions. Primarily, it makes me doubt what I know about other types of programs and what their motivations are. If seemingly smart people are so wrong about us, why should I have confidence in my own view of them?

ETA: That last sentence may be misconstrued. I mean, I see how reasonable people are often wrong about why we are doing some things. There is obviously a good chance that I am wrong about them and why they do some things.

Last edited:
KC. But it will be devastating to both areas. Both areas have lots of L4, R5 or L5 athletes that would jump at the first chance to be on a mega gym/brand team. And once they go the lower levels start to follow. Better to drive 3-4 hours than than to relocate across the country. Gyms in the COMO area will be hit hard as well since it is the halfway point. Only gyms that have developed other revenue streams besides all stars will be able to sustain the impact. And to be honest once it hits one area you know it will expand to the other. Just a matter of time. We have been saying that it was coming this way for years. Well it is here...counting down to the official announcements.

It's interesting to me that they picked KC out of the two. STL has 4 programs that field level 5s and all 4 are fielding worlds teams this season, as well as there being a TON of lower level talent.

I'm not saying theres not talent in KC, there obviously is, but I figured with KCs success a mega gym would be weary of having to compete with them for kids. In contrast, STL has many very very good gyms who put out good routines every year, but with none of the gyms making finals or medaling I would think it would be more likely that their athletes would leave for a mega gym.
In my mind no matter what the program is opening up in your city, they probably won't globe at worlds at least for a while, so it would make it hard to convince teams in KC to leave a program that is having that kind of success.

It's interesting to me that they picked KC out of the two. STL has 4 programs that field level 5s and all 4 are fielding worlds teams this season, as well as there being a TON of lower level talent.

I'm not saying theres not talent in KC, there obviously is, but I figured with KCs success a mega gym would be weary of having to compete with them for kids. In contrast, STL has many very very good gyms who put out good routines every year, but with none of the gyms making finals or medaling I would think it would be more likely that their athletes would leave for a mega gym.
In my mind no matter what the program is opening up in your city, they probably won't globe at worlds at least for a while, so it would make it hard to convince teams in KC to leave a program that is having that kind of success.
I have no idea which gym is allegedly coming to KC, but proximity to Lawrence/KU may have been a factor? If they wanted to form an international or L6 team they could potentially bring in athletes from KU. I'm just speculating though.

I also think Cali has done a great job with their expansions. All (or almost all?) of their locations have brought in a globe or world title I believe.

I have no idea which gym is allegedly coming to KC, but proximity to Lawrence/KU may have been a factor? If they wanted to form an international or L6 team they could potentially bring in athletes from KU. I'm just speculating though.

I also think Cali has done a great job with their expansions. All (or almost all?) of their locations have brought in a globe or world title I believe.

Im super biased here, but Lindenwood has a much larger program to pull from if you're looking to form a level 6. They have a large coed advanced, small coed advanced, and an intermediate small coed. And they've won NCA in one division or another the past 3 years. STL also has Chrome which has been the most successful international team in Missouri/Kansas.

Plus, UCA teams don't tend to crossover to allstar as much for whatever reason. All the gyms we think of that pull from colleges to build a level 6 international program (Gymtyme, CA, Cali, T&S, Tribe) pull athletes from teams that compete at NCA nationals (Navarro, TVCC, Louisville, OSU, CBU, OCU/OBU).
Besides KU is a good hour from KC unless they were on the Kansas side, which would be right in KC Cheers neck of the woods.

I don't think it was so much "picked" as it was an idea advanced, grew legs, and is coming to fruition. There had to be diligent work put it on both sides to get it to this stage beyond just talking. To the point that someone like me who doesn't look for that stuff found out about it. There are many lesser known gyms in both areas but IMO KC has more of those type gyms along with the larger and more well known programs to pull from than does STL.

I appreciate the kind words. In general, I am proud of the way we have handled our expansion. We have absolutely made some mistakes and would handle some things differently if we had it to do over again, but I like our progress so far.

It is interesting to me to see the drastically different viewpoints on the "megagyms" and expansion phenomenon. I know that the way some of our moves have been characterized is, at times, the exact opposite of the way we view our motives internally. I won't pretend that every move we make is pure rainbows and goodness, but we generally believe that we are doing things for the right reasons.

The huge differences between why (some) people THINK we are doing something vs how we believe we are doing it makes me question my own assumptions. Primarily, it makes me doubt what I know about other types of programs and what their motivations are. If seemingly smart people are so wrong about us, why should I have confidence in my own view of them?

ETA: That last sentence may be misconstrued. I mean, I see how reasonable people are often wrong about why we are doing some things. There is obviously a good chance that I am wrong about them and why they do some things.

I think some gyms do expansion very wells and it works great where all the locations are successful but I feel like the idea of "mega gyms" get a lot of hate because some gyms don't do it very well and even the main location goes down the toilet especially one in particular that I won't name but it has left my whole state with a bunch of locations for one gym that is definitely not what it used to be now it is more a money game for them they don't care much about winning simply because it's really the only option however gyms such as Cheer athletics, StingRays, Cheer Extreme ect... do a great job having multiple locations and keeping everything organized and keep the performance level where is should be

I think some gyms do expansion very wells and it works great where all the locations are successful but I feel like the idea of "mega gyms" get a lot of hate because some gyms don't do it very well and even the main location goes down the toilet especially one in particular that I won't name but it has left my whole state with a bunch of locations for one gym that is definitely not what it used to be now it is more a money game for them they don't care much about winning simply because it's really the only option however gyms such as Cheer athletics, StingRays, Cheer Extreme ect... do a great job having multiple locations and keeping everything organized and keep the performance level where is should be

On the flip side of this, there is infinitely more pressure on a new gym under the mega gym umbrella that it has to immediately win NCA/Summit/Worlds or the mother gym doesn't "care" about them as much... when realistically CA/CEA/WC/TG have all been around for 20+ years and it took time and diligence to grow into a successful program. They come into the new locations with the business and coaching smarts to be successful and have steady growth, but it still takes time to grow those athletes and reap the rewards.

I want to throw World Cup's name in the ring for great expansion model as well. Between the Jersey gym and two PA gyms, theres solid talent and great programs in place at all three. And as a resident of the area, (closest to Easton actually), It's been wonderful watching them expand. Im excited to see WC Connecticut this year! Hoping for all good things.

As much respect as I have for World Cup as a former athlete there... I've spoken to a few others about this and I disagree. I don't feel that world cups two other gyms compare to the freehold location in terms of performance and success. Just my honest opinion from my own experience and what I've seen over the last few years.

Im super biased here, but Lindenwood has a much larger program to pull from if you're looking to form a level 6. They have a large coed advanced, small coed advanced, and an intermediate small coed. And they've won NCA in one division or another the past 3 years. STL also has Chrome which has been the most successful international team in Missouri/Kansas.

Plus, UCA teams don't tend to crossover to allstar as much for whatever reason. All the gyms we think of that pull from colleges to build a level 6 international program (Gymtyme, CA, Cali, T&S, Tribe) pull athletes from teams that compete at NCA nationals (Navarro, TVCC, Louisville, OSU, CBU, OCU/OBU).
Besides KU is a good hour from KC unless they were on the Kansas side, which would be right in KC Cheers neck of the woods.
Good points! I've only lived in this area for school so I don't know much (anythig really lol) about cheer in the area, particularly in STL. I was just throwing out an idea. Driving from KU/Lawrence to KC is definitely doable though to do all star. I drove to KCMO from KU everyday for an internship last year.

Plenty of people drive longer than an hour, especially for a well known program.

There's also Topeka to draw from and lots of smaller Kansas towns being in KC on either side. We've considered moving to Topeka for family and would probably already be driving an hour to KC or KCAC. The only other options besides tiny gyms are in Wichita.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back