College 2017 University Of Kentucky Cheerleading Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They aren't the only school who believes that. If I ran a college program I probably would do similarly if I am presented with only 1 budget for maximizing school spirit at athletics events while ensuring that team fulfills all their other duties as students too. While staying coed, UK has been able to make scholarships a real thing because their budget for 'scholarships' isn't thinned out.

As for UofL, their 3 teams along with what they do for gameday are an absolute cluster. It's even said that some of the people that compete with UofL have never cheered a football or basketball while at the school.

WOW, someone knows a LOT about U of L cheer program. I guess I'll get to see the "cluster" in a few weeks since my daughter will be starting her Freshman year there & made the all girl team. And since we're hauling our cookies all the way to Louisville from Cali I'm gonna be pissed if my kid isn't cheering at that football game. But for competition I'm NOT assuming she'll be on the mat at Daytona. Upper class men get priority and she'll just have to bust booty all year and beat some hella skilled ladies for a spot. BTW SHE didn't have that "real high school cheer" experience since at her high school academic clubs and the Marching Band are the popular things to do resulting in a pretty empty stadium during games. However she had cheered all star for 13 years and wanted to continue with a college that competed with the all star style at NCA AND had the D1 game experience she never had. ALSO having coaching that was as close to what she's had for the past 4 years at her gym was what was the deciding factor since she'd made SDSU's team as well. From what I've heard there is NO ONE who's never cheered a football or basketball game yet competed. The rules and style I've heard of so far don't support the tone of that post which sounds like UofL cheerleaders put school representation and game day cheering way below competing. Seems to me they're expected to treat EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING they do with the same dedication and excellence of performance. blanket statements negate the possible accuracy of the rest of this comment. What I DO KNOW is my daughter is from one of the toughest conditioning, highly skilled cheer gyms in the West and Louisville is NOT a walk in the park for her and unlike most freshmen SHE has solid level 6 stunting skills so she's a tiny bit ahead of most rookies in that area. As for the cluster that is supposed to be their game day performance, I'll save my opinion until I've seen it for myself. Believe me I'm pretty darn critical so if it is a cluster I'll say so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are usually two (really three) types of program philosophies for college cheer (and really school cheer in general) -

1. Cheerleading's purpose is for school spirit at events and games/appearances, competing is a bonus or extra.

2. Cheerleading's purpose at this school is to compete, games and appearances are the extra/bonus requirements necessary to compete (that most people just tolerate so they can compete.)

Then there's the third:

3. Cheerleading's ONLY purpose at this school is for school spirit. There is no competitive aspect at all. Games only.

I've definitely thought of and heard of UL as being mostly #2. Athletes tend to go to UL to compete. Games are just the extra. UK is definitely a good balance of 1 and 2.

There are also still some really big schools out there who fall under #3. Ex: UFlorida I believe and schools like TCU.

Since I already gave my opinion on this I'll simply say I disagree with your comment about why "most" of UofL cheerleaders cheer there.

WOW, someone knows a LOT about U of L cheer program. I guess I'll get to see the "cluster" in a few weeks since my daughter will be starting her Freshman year there & made the all girl team. And since we're hauling our cookies all the way to Louisville from Cali I'm gonna be pissed if my kid isn't cheering at that football game. But for competition I'm NOT assuming she'll be on the mat at Daytona. Upper class men get priority and she'll just have to bust booty all year and beat some hella skilled ladies for a spot. BTW SHE didn't have that "real high school cheer" experience since at her high school academic clubs and the Marching Band are the popular things to do resulting in a pretty empty stadium during games. However she had cheered all star for 13 years and wanted to continue with a college that competed with the all star style at NCA AND had the D1 game experience she never had. ALSO having coaching that was as close to what she's had for the past 4 years at her gym was what was the deciding factor since she'd made SDSU's team as well. From what I've heard there is NO ONE who's never cheered a football or basketball game yet competed. The rules and style I've heard of so far don't support the tone of that post which sounds like UofL cheerleaders put school representation and game day cheering way below competing. Seems to me they're expected to treat EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING they do with the same dedication and excellence of performance. blanket statements negate the possible accuracy of the rest of this comment. What I DO KNOW is my daughter is from one of the toughest conditioning, highly skilled cheer gyms in the West and Louisville is NOT a walk in the park for her and unlike most freshmen SHE has solid level 6 stunting skills so she's a tiny bit ahead of most rookies in that area. As for the cluster that is supposed to be their game day performance, I'll save my opinion until I've seen it for myself. Believe me I'm pretty darn critical so if it is a cluster I'll say so.

Wait, so you're a mom of a brand new UofL cheerleader who hasn't cheered a single game or attended a single class at UofL, but can somehow tell me my friends' and peers' experiences are also false? Please elaborate! /s

I get it, you came here looking for some good cheer chatter and were met with some alarming stories about where you and your daughter just committed a lot of time and money to. That's frustrating for sure. Doesn't mean she won't have an incredible experience. Doesn't mean she won't love being a Louisville Card.

Slow your judgement there......If you READ my post and not assume yours pissed me off perhaps you'll realize I wrote "from what I've heard" that in no way is me calling anyone's info wrong. I made sure to say we're brand spanking new to the program. AND that SHE hasn't been told official ANYTHING regarding All Star, Daytona etc...in fact I was hoping your post was a little bit of info since I've received next to none so far.
My main point was directed at the statement that "most" cheerleaders are at UofL for competition. Hell, I didn't even take offense with the "cluster" comment. It made me lol because I've been predicting that exact thing since finding out how little they get to practice as a team over the summer.I simply stated my kids reason for wanting to cheer there since THAT was the gist of the initial post.....which college teams focus on what and/or why the athletes go there. My comment was directed at THAT hence the novel on what factors went into her choice. When you write "most" it is not something I can count on as being what I think "most" which frustrates this newbie college cheer parent who's trying to gain any reliable info out there. College cheer is the equivalent of being on a different planet from all star. All I've heard is vague rules, consequences and expectations for the coming season. And THAT is why my opinion differed about UofL cheer. Because it sure as heck sounds like games are a HUGE focus for this program to me. I was hoping for more comp focus because it's just what I LIKE to watch and even though she's a cheerleader her college academics need to come first. Without all the pesky rules, the mandatory games & all that comes with them, I wouldn't be lecturing her about time management as much as I am now. Yeeeesh, people assume the negative on this board.

Back