All-Star 2018 - 2019 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I’m not trying to tell you you’re wrong. I have he same observations. However.

I will say that many if these seem to be uniquely American things. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Canada just seems different. Most teams travel a few times. Uniforms seem more athletic, prices more reasonable and expectations lower.

We don’t do placements until August. Take the summer off. Maybe do some tumbling. Why do we need to train year round? Our most expensive tuition is $2100 excluding uniform and travel. We travel once (twice for our open 6 team). We discourage family vacations during the season, but it’s omag with enough notice, and the understanding that the athletes role may change depending how close to a competition we are.

From what I read here, teams in the US just seem way too intense at the lower levels/ages
Honestly, that last sentence is the current trend for pretty much all youth sports in the US. Not saying it's right, but it's definitely not unique to cheer.

Honestly, that last sentence is the current trend for pretty much all youth sports in the US. Not saying it's right, but it's definitely not unique to cheer.
Heck its inherent in other activities too. In my town our middle school has homecoming and for the past 2 or 3 years our little league football teams now have homecoming as well. Homecoming queens and kings and the hoopla that comes with it. Our high school doesn't have a dance because no one goes to it but they have a 2 hour long ceremony naming all the candidates, then they have another ceremony at the actual game during halftime naming who wins. I think parents want to celebrate their kiddos (a lot lol). Its odd to see middle school kids riding limos and wearing long formal dresses to homecoming dance in the gym. My kiddo wore short age appropriate dresses to the middle school dances. Yes the kiddos looked nice but just too old. I just think it all goes back to celebrating our kids and every parent wants their kid to shine and by extension be able to say "that's my kid out there," and live vicariously thru their kids. I have been guilty of being "overproud" myself. Its contagious here haha.

Heck its inherent in other activities too. In my town our middle school has homecoming and for the past 2 or 3 years our little league football teams now have homecoming as well. Homecoming queens and kings and the hoopla that comes with it. Our high school doesn't have a dance because no one goes to it but they have a 2 hour long ceremony naming all the candidates, then they have another ceremony at the actual game during halftime naming who wins. I think parents want to celebrate their kiddos (a lot lol). Its odd to see middle school kids riding limos and wearing long formal dresses to homecoming dance in the gym. My kiddo wore short age appropriate dresses to the middle school dances. Yes the kiddos looked nice but just too old. I just think it all goes back to celebrating our kids and every parent wants their kid to shine and by extension be able to say "that's my kid out there," and live vicariously thru their kids. I have been guilty of being "overproud" myself. Its contagious here haha.

I had never heard of youth football homecoming until a friend of mine moved to NC and commented that her son was youth football homecoming king in our groupchat. Granted, it is not a dress up event and just a halftime thing at the little game but still a bit much for like 4th graders.

I had never heard of youth football homecoming until a friend of mine moved to NC and commented that her son was youth football homecoming king in our groupchat. Granted, it is not a dress up event and just a halftime thing at the little game but still a bit much for like 4th graders.
It's a thing here in Texas, too. My co-worker was talking about her son's homecoming football game, he's 10.

It seems to be a uniquely American thing to *need* to be the best, most competitive, etc. That everyone needs the best music, blingiest uniforms, best choreography for a youth 1 team. It's insane to me. It's honestly a cultural difference.

I'm going to be brutally honest as a parent here and am sorry for hurting any feelings. I would never allow my daughter to do all star cheer today in any form if we were brand new to it. I'm pretty sure that the majority of parents who look into it and walk away from it agree with me. Here are my reasons I would never allow my daughter to do this now:

1. The cost. I'm not going to go into massive amounts of debt for a hobby. $4,000 - $10,000+ a year is not logical for a family. That's more than most car payments and even some rents or mortgages.

2. The uniforms are trashy. I'm sorry, but there are a lot of parents who are conservative and feel uncomfortable with these uniforms. The trend is towards skimpier and trashier uniforms for younger and younger girls who are doing some rather athletic things on stage. I wouldn't pay to allow my daughter to do that in uniforms that are on with a wing and a prayer.

3. Too much missed school time because of travel and competitions. Too much time is required required for privates and practices. Not having enough time for family vacations, studying, church attendance, and spending time with family. Sorry, but the work and time aren't worth it. Also, the policies of many gyms that practice is attended even when sick.

4. The stress on the athletes both physically, emotionally and mentally.

5. The toxic expectation by many gyms and coaches that paying parents are to shut up, pay tuition, and be compliant no matter what or risk being labeled a sm and their child be subjected to passive aggressive behavior from a coach or gym owner. And there's always a other parent who wants their kid on top who's willing to do whatever it takes no matter the cost so they can get their princess all the endorsements and deals and turn them into cheerlebrities.

6. Safety. All star cheer is a very dangerous sport. And when things go wrong, it can be disastrous.

When my oldest started full year AS 8 years ago, people were saying the same things (minus the endorsements). Things such as cost, uniforms, commitment, missed school, social media, toxicity, and safety are going to vary tremendously by gym and in parental opinion. My youngest just quit her super sr. year because her finals fell around competition weekends, our entire family was sad to see that chapter end. Over the years, I feel our gym did a great job trying to keep an expensive travel sport as affordable as possible. We gave up other luxuries, but it was a choice the entire family didn't mind making (easier when both kids enjoy the same thing). I'd hate to believe people are choosing to stay in or enter what you described above. IMO, dysphoria is just becoming more and more prevalent in America and we're living substantially "better" than our grandparents and parents.

It sure is a culture thing, this season I switched to a bigger gym which also costs more than my gym before, bc we do more comps ..but still with all comp fees, practice wear, bow, uniform etc. it "only" costs 1.000 € the whole season. And thats still very pricy for us germans. Ofcourse Cheerleading is not that big here but it sure did grow over the last few years and we took 3 Gold medals last ICU World's and I think we are envolving in a healthy way to get at the level from USA and Canada.

I have to agree as far as uniforms go. My boyfriend watched the NCA North Texas Classic with me yesterday on flo cheer and after watching level 5 he basically told me he’d never let his kid cheer because of the uniforms. I feel like we’re sensitized to how absolutely ridiculous they’ve become because we love the sport. But his perspective really woke me up. Of the uniforms currently on rebel athletics instagram I’d let my hypothetical CP wear about 12% of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree as far as uniforms go. My boyfriend watched the NCA North Texas Classic with me yesterday on flo cheer and after watching level 5 he basically told me he’d never let his kid cheer because of the uniforms. I feel like we’re sensitized to how absolutely ridiculous they’ve become because we love the sport. But his perspective really woke me up. Of the uniforms currently on rebel athletics instagram I’d let my hypothetical CP wear about 12% of them.

Because of the sparkle or the cut outs?

Funny, I had the exact opposite thought watching it yesterday. I find all the CA level 5 uniforms (which level 5 was really just CA plus one team) very athletic and I don't find them even remotely inappropriate. Their lower level/younger uniforms are even better.

I adore the new CA junior level uniform.

See also the Swoosh one that comes to a point at the bottom. Gives me late 90s early 00 uni vibes.

The uniforms 10-12 years ago were probably my top choice for an athletic look. The tops came down low enough and had full backs, so the athletes could wear a sport bra of their choice. The tops/skirts allowed for 2-4" of midriff to show, which some are adamant it is easier/safer to grab skin versus material, so be it. The skirts covered their bums to the point I didn't see cheeks hanging out just walking down the hallway.

IMO, it's just a small handful of gym owners that continually push the envelope and my issue with them, it's "shock value" gym branding at the expense of kids. Whether for branding, or just a really unhealthy mental state, it's not okay to strip down kids to the bare minimum or put them in lingerie inspired designs that aren't necessary for the sport for your benefit.

My boyfriend and I were watching cheer a while back, and I coach HS.. he was like this is awesome for the kids... then worlds was on TV and the first thing he said was Our children are NOT doing or wearing THAT. He is a soccer player and respects all sports and athletic activities, but the flat out NO based on leg rubbing and glittery short barely there "outfits" appalled him. I laughed for sure, it was funny, but now I think he brought up a great point.

Unpopular AF but I'm over the respectability politics infiltrating in to our sport . Panthers not wearing a bow will not single handedley change the view of our sport, nor will less rhinestones. I'm not glorifying uniforms that don't allow athletes to move freely, I myself am a member of the bra brigade. *Not pointed to anyone specific poster just a modge-podge of my annoyance with the entire discussion.

* Not one thigh slap in any of my routines before you all assume.
* Any and every uniform/ practice wear set I have ever designed has been comfortable and athletic.
* My flyers don't do 3 8 counts of motions.
* My girls don't booty pop in dance, (mostly due to the fact that they cant lol)

Because of the sparkle or the cut outs?

the cutouts, the mesh, the length of the uniforms. He can justify and appreciate some sequins haha Also, the rubbing and hair pull of the ponytail every team seems to be into this year didnt help the overall impression

Back