All-Star 2018 - 2019 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From what I read here, teams in the US just seem way too intense at the lower levels/ages

Yeah and the creation of the Summit has only made it worse. The lower levels aren't for learning anymore, now those kids have to be intense national level competitors as soon as they get their back walkover and spend a ton of money on out-of-state competitions and plane flights chasing Summit bids. Instead of cutting down on the number of event producers in cheerleading (there are way too many), we instead let them hand out Summit bids to entice more teams to spend more money to attend more competitions. Why do we need national competitions for elementary age kids with back walkovers and back handsprings? The sport caters to the crazed cheer parents rather than the sane ones, and it has pushed a lot of the sane parents out of the sport.

It used to be normal to see teams with 30+ kids on the floor, and that division doesn't even exist anymore in Levels 1-4. Smaller team sizes throughout the industry is the norm, and may even be advantageous. The less stunt groups, the less risk, and the better the chance at a Summit bid. Why do we care so much about something called a Summit? Other sports must think we are crazy. It was better years ago when we just had normal, end-of-the-season cheer comps in Florida that you could attend without any bid chasing required.

And no, the Prep divisions don't really help either. That just dilutes things even more in a sport that already has too many divisions.

Last edited:
Yeah and the creation of the Summit has only made it worse. The lower levels aren't for learning anymore, now those kids have to be intense national level competitors as soon as they get their back walkover and spend a ton of money on out-of-state competitions and plane flights chasing Summit bids. Instead of cutting down on the number of event producers in cheerleading (there are way too many), we instead let them hand out Summit bids to entice more teams to spend more money to attend more competitions. Why do we need national competitions for elementary age kids with back walkovers and back handsprings? The sport caters to the crazed cheer parents rather than the sane ones, and it has pushed a lot of the sane parents out of the sport.

It used to be normal to see teams with 30+ kids on the floor, and that division doesn't even exist anymore in Levels 1-4. Smaller team sizes throughout the industry is the norm, and may even be advantageous. The less stunt groups, the less risk, and the better the chance at a Summit bid. Why do we care so much about something called a Summit? Other sports must think we are crazy. It was better years ago when we just had normal, end-of-the-season cheer comps in Florida that you could attend without any bid chasing required.

And no, the Prep divisions don't really help either. That just dilutes things even more in a sport that already has too many divisions.
This is CP's 4th year of cheer and I can honestly say I don't ever want to go to Summit. Her gym is accepting Summit bids now but aren't chasing them and won't automatically go if they get a bid. At least they took UCA off the schedule this year because if I had to potentially go to Disney twice in 3 months I'd be mighty annoyed.

My wallet hurts for anyone whose child's schedule has NCA, UCA and Worlds or Summit. Two Disney trips in that time frame (following NCA) is excessive.

Back