All-Star 2018 Worlds Wishlist

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think I've said it every year since Worlds 2015 but can we PLEASE do away with these God-awful plank up/fake handstand inversions? Especially now that some teams do a knee bend in them?! If you're going to do a "hand-stand" stunt, please do true hand-in-hands. They're so much prettier and look way better.

Also, if BABS could finally win Gold again, I'd be very happy. Oh, and WCSS; this season is 10 years since Fashionista. Shameless request to bring that dance back please.
Wut? To the bold, has it really been that long, lol. It seems like it was only a couple years ago haha

In high school and college cheer, finalists depend on divison size instead of choosing the top 10 from each division. I would kind of like to see this at Worlds! Small Coed and AllGirl are so large I really wish a few more would make finals! Nothing crazy, but maybe 12-15 depending on division size. And for divisions with less teams, cut down the number of finalists.
2011? I think, and earlier it used to be 50% moved on to finals for senior divisions. I know that would still leave a lot of teams in finals for the bigger divisions, but I wouldn't mind them going back to that.

How do teams know before tryouts what teams they can field for sure? Do they just guess based on who they know is coming back?

How do teams know before tryouts what teams they can field for sure? Do they just guess based on who they know is coming back?

Our gym makes educated guesses based on the previous year and who is signed up for tryouts. But there is a disclaimer that teams can change and are not set in stone until the end of Aug or Sept. The summer is used for skill development and finalizations of teams and levels

I always wonder why gyms announce team divisions before they have tryouts?
I think some gyms know who are trying out (most are returners so they know what to expect from them) that have the same level requirements for a certain level.

Our gym makes educated guesses based on the previous year and who is signed up for tryouts. But there is a disclaimer that teams can change and are not set in stone until the end of Aug or Sept. The summer is used for skill development and finalizations of teams and levels
ah yes, thank you this is what I meant!!

Big gyms probably use it as a motivating factor too. Announcing what teams they intend to have to motivate people to stay or come tryout for them, hoping they make a certain team. When you're big enough you can usually go FIND the talent you want. It's a weird practice but I guess I can't really fault them.

I'm more weirded out by the "hey send in videos for 'x' team, if you're good enough we've got housing and you can cheer for free". How awkward is that for lower level paying members of the gym hoping to make that team as well? But oh well.

As far as my worlds wishlist: less rubbing and smaller hair. If you're doing half up half down that's fine, but there's no need to tease it. It's distracting to me.

Big gyms probably use it as a motivating factor too. Announcing what teams they intend to have to motivate people to stay or come tryout for them, hoping they make a certain team. When you're big enough you can usually go FIND the talent you want. It's a weird practice but I guess I can't really fault them.

I'm more weirded out by the "hey send in videos for 'x' team, if you're good enough we've got housing and you can cheer for free". How awkward is that for lower level paying members of the gym hoping to make that team as well? But oh well.

As far as my worlds wishlist: less rubbing and smaller hair. If you're doing half up half down that's fine, but there's no need to tease it. It's distracting to me.

Yea I saw that and I was like . I guess if it helps attract people but worlds was barely over. I wouldn't be a really happy parent if you are advertising free tuition and I'm playing $300 a month.

Yea I saw that and I was like . I guess if it helps attract people but worlds was barely over. I wouldn't be a really happy parent if you are advertising free tuition and I'm playing $300 a month.

That's the one thing about Top Gun that I'm not fond of. They take these athletes from all over and then it's like what about the kids at their own gym. I realize TG isn't the gym you're talking about, but they've been doing it for years, probably the original team that started this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the one thing about Top Gun that I'm not fond of. They take these athletes from all over and then it's like what about the kids at their own gym. I realize TG isn't the gym you're talking about, but they've been doing it for years, probably the original team that started this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea but they charge their kids and I have never seen them advertise for out of state kids to tryout just for TGLC or at all.

Last edited:
I'll second this! And third! Let's add transparent scoring, too!
Worlds scoring this year seemed to be all over the place. How could scoring in the same Divisions be so different from one day to the next? Witnessed teams with deductions on Day 1, with raw scores being higher than Day 2 scores with zero deductions! ons! 8 to 10 points difference! Teams in Finals with raw scores higher with deductions than the day before with no deductions. It just seems that they are all over the road here.

Worlds scoring this year seemed to be all over the place. How could scoring in the same Divisions be so different from one day to the next? Witnessed teams with deductions on Day 1, with raw scores being higher than Day 2 scores with zero deductions! ons! 8 to 10 points difference! Teams in Finals with raw scores higher with deductions than the day before with no deductions. It just seems that they are all over the road here.
There are so many reasons to explain a normal and accurate change in raw scores from one day to the next. All scores and placements seemed very spot on to me this year.

- Different judges on the panel
- Variances in execution, energy and performance day to day
- Coaches changing routines over night to try to hit the sheet better based on feedback
- Comparative scoring will lead to variances because the baseline will change daily

The fact is, the scores don't *really* matter. I say that meaning, if the placements come out correctly, if you scored 132.5 day 1 and were in first and 125.5 day 2 and are in first....does it make a huge difference at the last competition of the season?

Back