All-Star 2019-2020 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Back tuck baskets are actually pretty easy. Kick doubles (or any level 5 appropriate basket) are significantly harder. On my college cheer team, I learned this first hand - we threw girls in tuck baskets that had weak tumbling on the ground and they were fine. And sometimes these baskets were LOW. Sometimes the flyer freaks out in the air the first time they try it and comes down feet first like they are doing a tuck on the ground, but even that isn’t really dangerous. I’ve never seen anyone come down head first or anything like that.

Girl you don't need to tell me. Most of the double full baskets at my college didn't have so much as a backhandspring on the floor. The prettiest double basket I've ever seen was flown by a girl who didn't tumble at all. I would much rather throw a flyer on her first tuck or full than on her first kick double. Inverting baskets have a tendency to come down feet first when they go wrong, but kick doubles have a tendency to kamikaze and invert/come down head first when they go wrong.

That said, this is not the perception of people in all star. Allstar coaches often have no experience with college baskets or pyramids and are weary to attempt fielding a team at that level. Most level 7s at all star gyms exist in towns where there are big college programs that the gyms are pulling athletes from. It is very rare to have a level 7 team that isn't majority college crossovers/retired college cheerleaders. There isnt a single level 6 pyramid skill that acts as a progression skill to college pyramids and I think that plus baskets scares a lot of programs away unfortunately.

I would love nothing more than to see level 7 grow, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon unfortunately.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that CA only has 3 senior level 6 teams in all their locations. It seems like a lot of gyms are moving the bulk of their worlds teams into divisions that are 14+ rather than being in the senior divisions that have an age cap at 18. A part of me wonders if there's fewer young athletes in cheer anymore so gyms have to rely on older talent to field teams. Maybe there are fewer people entering the sport due to cost?

Idk I just think it's an interesting trend that more and more gyms only have international/open cheer teams. It makes me wonder what the future of cheer will look like.

I find it interesting that CA only has 3 senior level 6 teams in all their locations. It seems like a lot of gyms are moving the bulk of their worlds teams into divisions that are 14+ rather than being in the senior divisions that have an age cap at 18. A part of me wonders if there's fewer young athletes in cheer anymore so gyms have to rely on older talent to field teams. Maybe there are fewer people entering the sport due to cost?

Idk I just think it's an interesting trend that more and more gyms only have international/open cheer teams. It makes me wonder what the future of cheer will look like.
I think a big part of it is that those divisions really cover all ages. You can be on an open team at a younger age than on a senior team. So it allows anyone that is eligible for a senior team, plus people that are younger and people that are older.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can't speak for every gym, but we have more "senior-eligible" athletes and more Worlds teams than we have ever had. FWIW, I can't recall us (or anyone for that matter) having more than 3 senior Worlds teams in a single year.

Last season WE had 4 Senior Worlds teams: Generals, Black Ops, Recon, and Lady Rage. This year 3 Senior teams & 1 Open Worlds team: Generals, Black Ops, Recon and Gunsmoke.

So what are the crossover rules for the NT? Can a kid on 4.2 be on the NT and the 4.2 team?

So what are the crossover rules for the NT? Can a kid on 4.2 be on the NT and the 4.2 team?
Not at worlds and summit. They CAN compete at most regular season comps EXCEPT for NCA nationals in Dallas (check with each comp to see if they have a similar crossover rule but most are ok). If an athlete competes at worlds though on an NT team, they cannot compete at summit on a 4.2 team.

[QUOTE="AndyT_T, post: 1238686, member: 10063
Idk I just think it's an interesting trend that more and more gyms only have international/open cheer teams. It makes me wonder what the future of cheer will look like.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts:

USASF age grid:

Junior 6: 9-14 y/0 (avg 9 year old height/weight 53"/63 lbs)
Senior 6: 13-18 y/o (avg 13 year old height/weight 62"/102 lbs and avg 18 y/o 64"/122 lbs)
Senior Open 6: 14+ (avg 14 year old height/weight 63"/109 lbs)

IASF age grid:

Junior 6: 10-16 y/o (avg 10 year old height/weight 54"/72 lbs and avg 16 y/o 64"/119)
Senior 6/Open 6: 14+ (avg 14 year old height/weight 63"/109 lbs)

A 14 year old base/back on a Jr 6 USASF team that ages out will essentially go to handling a flyer on avg. 10" taller and 46 lbs heavier on a Senior team. A 16 year old base/back on a Jr 6 IASF team that ages out will essentially go to handling a flyer on avg 9" taller and 37 lbs heaver. I have seen teams with petite beast of bases/backs and taller flyers, but it's not ideal from a stunt group make up point of view. The smaller the age gap on a Sr team means fewer people you have to choose from, I'd choose 14 and older, as well.

[QUOTE="AndyT_T, post: 1238686, member: 10063

My thoughts:

USASF age grid:

Junior 6: 9-14 y/0 (avg 9 year old height/weight 53"/63 lbs)
Senior 6: 13-18 y/o (avg 13 year old height/weight 62"/102 lbs and avg 18 y/o 64"/122 lbs)
Senior Open 6: 14+ (avg 14 year old height/weight 63"/109 lbs)

IASF age grid:

Junior 6: 10-16 y/o (avg 10 year old height/weight 54"/72 lbs and avg 16 y/o 64"/119)
Senior 6/Open 6: 14+ (avg 14 year old height/weight 63"/109 lbs)

A 14 year old base/back on a Jr 6 USASF team that ages out will essentially go to handling a flyer on avg. 10" taller and 46 lbs heavier on a Senior team. A 16 year old base/back on a Jr 6 IASF team that ages out will essentially go to handling a flyer on avg 9" taller and 37 lbs heaver. I have seen teams with petite beast of bases/backs and taller flyers, but it's not ideal from a stunt group make up point of view. The smaller the age gap on a Sr team means fewer people you have to choose from, I'd choose 14 and older, as well.[/QUOTE]

It would be awful to have a minimum weight or height requirement. My daughter turns 17 in January and is about 88 pounds. She has been lifting weights to try and gain muscle, but hasn't seen results yet.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
It would be awful to have a minimum weight or height requirement. My daughter turns 17 in January and is about 88 pounds. She has been lifting weights to try and gain muscle, but hasn't seen results yet.[/QUOTE]

Well to that point, I think many level 6 flyers are anything but average. Not saying they are similar to 9 year olds, but perhaps more similar to 9 year olds than they are to the average 13 year old!

@Keep_Believing I tried to quote you, but for some reason it's not quoting properly.

My point of listing avg hts/wts was only to show that as the age gap narrows for a Senior team, it not only reduces the athlete pool in quantity, but also the avg athlete size. The jump for an aging out Jr. base or back spot with a 9 y/o flyer on a Jr team going to a World's team with a 14-18 y/o flyer, is on avg 46 lbs heavier and 10" taller, that's a considerable jump. If the choices are a Sr team of ages 14-18 or an Open team of 14+, I can understand why some coaches would gravitate to 14+ just to have a broader athlete pool to choose from. Someone said that the IASF Jr. division is much more popular than the IASF Sr. division in lower levels, but to me, it make sense that you have more 10-16 year olds to choose from versus 14-18 and your stunt groups would definitely have a lot more size variance (the whole work smarter than harder concept).

@Keep_Believing I tried to quote you, but for some reason it's not quoting properly.

My point of listing avg hts/wts was only to show that as the age gap narrows for a Senior team, it not only reduces the athlete pool in quantity, but also the avg athlete size. The jump for an aging out Jr. base or back spot with a 9 y/o flyer on a Jr team going to a World's team with a 14-18 y/o flyer, is on avg 46 lbs heavier and 10" taller, that's a considerable jump. If the choices are a Sr team of ages 14-18 or an Open team of 14+, I can understand why some coaches would gravitate to 14+ just to have a broader athlete pool to choose from. Someone said that the IASF Jr. division is much more popular than the IASF Sr. division in lower levels, but to me, it make sense that you have more 10-16 year olds to choose from versus 14-18 and your stunt groups would definitely have a lot more size variance (the whole work smarter than harder concept).

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense.

I’ve read that LAG senior 5 (now 6) will now only consist of five teams: SE, WCSS, Panthers, Orange, and F5. Lady Lace, Chiefs, and Small Fin Sharks have moved divisions.

Last edited:
Back