2019-2020 Teams

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by fullinitup, May 3, 2019.

1. JenR

JenR Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Can we get back to finding out if there is a wiki for teams this year?

• Shimmy Shimmy x 13
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. WuToDouble

WuToDouble I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    WuToDouble
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    @King

3. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It’s that time of year again: music release time.

Would I age myself horribly if I said most of it sounds the same to me? Lots of “crowns” and “queens” and “rings” and laser sounds. That’s not to say it’s bad —I know I’ll be singing all of it into my laptop come April — but it all does sound very similar. And it makes me wish even more that they hadn’t taken commercial music from us.

Speaking of which, I’d be very interested to know how WCSS got to use the snippet from “Oh What a Night.” I know it’s just a half second long and serves as a hat tip to 2015, but I’d have to think it qualifies as a music rights thing?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  4. DonnaM

DonnaM I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Especially when a bunch of teams have the same snippets. So it’s not only similar sounding, but the SAME music mixed different ways.

On music rights, you can get them for public performance/use-you just have to pay licensing fees. A cover usually costs less than the original. And as soon as admission is charged, that pushes it out of educational use, so even school cheer teams get hit with it if they want to compete.

5. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    There should be an unspoken rule that says you can’t have “queen” or “baddest whatever” or anything that suggests you’re the best in your lyrics if you didn’t win the year previous. You can still say stuff along the lines of “taking back what’s ours” or “you better enjoy it while you can” or whatever, but nothing that suggests you won if you didn’t. It can be a low-key perk of winning Worlds: you get to be the only team that gets to brag and have it be true.

6. cpersichilli

cpersichilli When all else fails.... I shimmy Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    caitlinjennie
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Soooo... no wiki yet?

7. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Super seniors are moving from medium to the open division after Majors.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Whoa.

9. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It's been a trend for senior teams to move to open and I get the reasoning, but I still hate to see it, especially for signature teams, and I consider Supers one of those teams.

10. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The reasoning is what in this case though? I knew they were switching but not following closely enough to know why.

11. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I noticed the move to OPEN with the exodus from Small All Girl to OPEN AG and it is becoming more common.

I also can't really figure out the why.

Is it age grid? I could see the advantage in having no upper age limit. If your flyers are 14 and you have the ability to have bases in upper college (beyond 19 year olds who are super senioring) that could work in your favor.

Is it competition? I feel like who is in what division HAS to play into it on some level.

12. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Opinion only, but based on what I have seen (I'm no longer involved in allstar as of this year but I imagine the trend has continued) it's lack of eligible athletes. The diehard "generation" is 20-24 age range - they are hanging in there because of their true love of the sport. The 14-17 age range seems to have burnt out - both athletes and parents (Summit - who needs worlds when you have been to "the big or big enough one" multiple times already, lots of options for high school kids as far as activities go; for parents the expense, the frustration of the industry - STP, late music, uniforms, etc. ) The younger generation seems to be more concerned with ambassador branding type roles versus hours of blood sweat and tears that it takes to get to the highest level. There are TONS of level 1-4 teams especially in D2. The NT divisions are two of the biggest Worlds divisions. It's hard to field a team of more than 25 in the regular senior Worlds divisions now. I don't know if that's good or bad for the industry.

13. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Thoughts:

1. I agree that SO MANY THINGS are vying for their time in HS. Most single-activity/sport kids quit by HS to do other things. It wasn't uncommon for my cheerleaders to be involved in at least 2 other clubs. A lot of parents are into prioritizing what is attractive to colleges, too. Headed into HS, if your child can't balance that sport, and has to choose between say, all star cheer, Model UN, and being dual-enrolled at the community college maintaining a 4.0, usually cheer is not going to win. Especially if she has already won Summit (or even Worlds depending on age.)

2. People (some parents, industry people, etc.) underestimate the pull of KIDS AND TEENS JUST WANTING TO DO REGULAR THINGS. There are kids who have been Level 5/6 athletes on for a very long time and in the gym ALL WEEK from K-8th grade. They hit HS and they quite literally see other people having fun (going to dances, being free to hang out, dating, etc.) and they want that. It's an easy choice when it has already taken a toll on your body, finances of your parents, etc. They likely are HAPPY to hear that Suzy wants a break.

3. NT is probably a big draw because it capitalizes on those who are probably in the diehard generation 20s but whose bodies can't handle tumbling in Open. I can bet it also capitalizes on the senior age bracket who maybe is a Level 6 stunter but has never had the $$ to put in the work to get tumbling. I have not decided if the division is beneficial or not. Its initial purpose was to open another avenue for teams from other countries to compete, yes? Is that what's happening? Or is it just becoming saturated with US teams?

14. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I hear what you are saying and agree with @oncecoolcoachnowmom in general re: H.S. students, sports, priorities etc. But in this specific case they are going to Majors with a medium team so clearly they have enough age eligible athletes. I guess they feel they will be a stronger team with the competition in open compared with dropping to say small or xsmall? I am not sure if any of these trends are positive for the sport. It is becoming way too fractured imo.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. california cheer mom

california cheer mom Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Agreed. Our gym has hard a hard time filling worlds teams this year, especially boys. There's really only one other worlds team in the area and they had to switch to open to get any boys at all.