All-Star 2019-2020 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No other sport has the "elite" division as 18 or younger. If Open becomes the new "elite" division I think that's kinda healthy for the sport? In soccer for example there are U18 and U21 teams but it's the teams without age limits that are the number 1 teams of course.

So true. The number of little kids claiming to be "cheer models" and ambassadors on Instagram (with accounts run by their delusional stage moms) is staggering. Why ever strive for Worlds success when you can pretend to be famous and important on Instagram at 8 years old?

I think the initial crop of cheer famous kiddos were/are talented athletes who just happened to get some cheer fame because of that and it springboarded to the modeling/brand rep opportunities

Younger kids coming up I think want to be (example) Varsity/GK/Rebel models/brand reps for social media clout (and other modeling opportunities) more than they want to go to Worlds/be on Worlds teams/win Worlds.

I also don't think they or their parents realize that cheer brand rep/modeling does not usually lead to actual modeling opportunities. Agencies are not so much looking to sign little kids with cheer modeling experience.

ive always read and seen that once you win a summit ring its basically the same thing as a worlds ring... and i can kinda see where kids are coming from on that. Maybe not the same prestige of winning a worlds ring and being at the top of the talent pool. But a ring is a ring, just like a jacket is a jacket at any level. So im kinda surprised that the level 5 area of the sport is expanding more and more.

I noticed the move to OPEN with the exodus from Small All Girl to OPEN AG and it is becoming more common.

I also can't really figure out the why.

Is it age grid? I could see the advantage in having no upper age limit. If your flyers are 14 and you have the ability to have bases in upper college (beyond 19 year olds who are super senioring) that could work in your favor.

Is it competition? I feel like who is in what division HAS to play into it on some level.

CP's second year on an open AG team.

4 - 5 kids this season on our team would not have been eligible for a senior Worlds team but are eligible for an open team, 13 turning 14 in year they compete at Worlds. We have one athlete that is over senior age eligibility but she had not planned on being on team this year.

I hear what you are saying and agree with @oncecoolcoachnowmom iBut in this specific case they are going to Majors with a medium team so clearly they have enough age eligible athletes. I guess they feel they will be a stronger team with the competition in open compared with dropping to say small or xsmall? I am not sure if any of these trends are positive for the sport. It is becoming way too fractured imo.
I'm only guessing, but since Majors isn't really a sanctioned competition they may be allowing athletes who would normally be considered ineligible to be eligible for this event. I agree about the industry becoming too fractured. There is close to 150 different divisions at Cheersport alone.

No other sport has the "elite" division as 18 or younger. If Open becomes the new "elite" division I think that's kinda healthy for the sport? In soccer for example there are U18 and U21 teams but it's the teams without age limits that are the number 1 teams of course.
I'm supportive of open in general and love giving opportunity to those who otherwise would have aged out. Unfortunately instead of being an expansion, what seems to be happening is a cannibalization of s6 and to me that is not positive.

I'm only guessing, but since Majors isn't really a sanctioned competition they may be allowing athletes who would normally be considered ineligible to be eligible for this event. I agree about the industry becoming too fractured. There is close to 150 different divisions at Cheersport alone.
Interesting!

Per kids on Coed elite, some are getting cut and the team is switching divisions.

Last edited:
Per kids on Coed elite, some are getting cut and the team is switching divisions.

Prediction: They are going Small Open Coed.

On a macro level across the sport, I also think senior-aged boys are getting harder to come by, hence going Open.

(They have never been plentiful but I think the bulk of available boy talent is over that age limit.).

I have nephews in that age range, and cheerleading is not a thing that crosses their radar of fun things to start doing.

Which is why it is becoming important to pull in boys starting in class, prep, minis.

Prediction: They are going Small Open Coed.

On a macro level across the sport, I also think senior-aged boys are getting harder to come by, hence going Open.

(They have never been plentiful but I think the bulk of available boy talent is over that age limit.).

I have nephews in that age range, and cheerleading is not a thing that crosses their radar of fun things to start doing.

Which is why it is becoming important to pull in boys starting in class, prep, minis.

Someone said small coed. I understand your statement completely but I don’t understand cutting boys when they are already so hard to come by.

Someone said small coed. I understand your statement completely but I don’t understand cutting boys when they are already so hard to come by.

Depends on what you'd mean by cutting. I assumed that cut in all star world generally meant "moved or given option to move to another appropriate team" but I don't immediately know what other coed options CEA has at their main location?

Back