College 2021 Nca College Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So I've never really paid much attention to college cheer (I'm in the UK) but since we've had virtually no cheer at all this season I treated myself to Varsity TV so I'm all set to watch Daytona for the first time! Any must see teams to make sure I catch?

So I've never really paid much attention to college cheer (I'm in the UK) but since we've had virtually no cheer at all this season I treated myself to Varsity TV so I'm all set to watch Daytona for the first time! Any must see teams to make sure I catch?

I find the junior college divisions to be great. Not just advanced (Navarro, TVCC) but the others as well (Blinn, etc.)

The most popular divisions are those in Advanced 1A, large coed, small coed, and all girl being the most. Favorites usually being Louisville, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. Advanced open is typically fun to watch too.

Does anyone eles HATE when teams have those mascots on the floor? I think it's the most annoying and frustrating thing. It's so distracting. I just wanna see the skills, not the mascots running around and being distracting. It ruins an amazing routine for me. Like Texas Tech did so so good...but there stupid mascot keep making me looking away from the skills because it was so discracting.

Does anyone eles HATE when teams have those mascots on the floor? I think it's the most annoying and frustrating thing. It's so distracting. I just wanna see the skills, not the mascots running around and being distracting. It ruins an amazing routine for me. Like Texas Tech did so so good...but there stupid mascot keep making me looking away from the skills because it was so discracting.
This really confused me with Louisville! Their mascot was just skipping about the floor and weaving in between the stunt groups, and then was just weirdly floating around during the dance section. As I posted above I don’t really follow college cheer and it felt really random to me.

Navarro were incredible! Amazing routine.

The mascots may be annoying, but they're a huge boost to scores. I competed there with my college and we couldn't get the mascot to come with, and it was basically like a 5 point hit just for not having them on the mat. Not sure if the rules have changed since then, but I remember being pissed that we couldn't just shove somebody from the team, one of the alternates or something, in the costume and call it a day. They don't have to do much, just 'promote school spirit'.

Yes, it's very dumb.

The mascots may be annoying, but they're a huge boost to scores. I competed there with my college and we couldn't get the mascot to come with, and it was basically like a 5 point hit just for not having them on the mat. Not sure if the rules have changed since then, but I remember being pissed that we couldn't just shove somebody from the team, one of the alternates or something, in the costume and call it a day. They don't have to do much, just 'promote school spirit'.

Yes, it's very dumb.
Thanks for the insight ☺️ School mascots are really not much of a thing in the UK so it just seems really weird.

I just checked out a sample scoresheet and it said it was a .1 mascot bonus. Crazy as that .1 could make all the difference between 1 and 2!

Back