3 Parental Mistakes Which Are Holding Back Your Child Tumbling Progress

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 5, 2013
Great article. CP's private lesson coach has always told us as parents to "trust the process". Essentially, that he has a plan for every kid and that the ultimate goal of that plan is to produce high quality skills and minimize injury and mental blocks. It often means that they don't progress as quickly as some would like, but the end result is a better quality product. It took me a while to truly get on board with the idea, but it has made a huge difference in CP's confidence and her tumbling quality. My kid is NOT a natural talent at tumbling. She isn't going to fly through progressions or progress a level per year. That being said she is a solid level 3 athlete today because she has a coach who will stick with her for as long as it takes to perfect a skill. Once I realized and accepted that, the stress level surrounding cheer in out house went way down., and CP's enjoyment and confidence in the sport went way up.

Early on, I made many of the mistakes you discuss in the article. I was the mom who was complaining that CP spent a year getting to all er level 1 skills, and a year perfecting her level 1 skills. I thought she would never progress, and didn't understand why she was working on the same things over and over. It took a coach willing to communicate who sat me down and basically told me what you are sharing here to get me on the path to trusting the process and the coaches. We worked with a couple of coaches who had a "my word is law, I shouldn't have to explain myself to a parent" attitude before CP's current coach, and I think that fed a lot of parent issues. They were unwilling to discuss anything with parents. I think if more coaches presented this up front to parents, it would cut out a lot of issues from the beginning, and they would have a lot less parents trying to micromanage Suzy's tumbling.

Back