All-Star 3 Year Old Bhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 11, 2012
Anyone have any tips on drills or anything I can do to help my 3 year old get her back handspring? She does great with a one hand spot and on the trampoline she can do it with jsut my finger touching her but shes scared so she wont jump as hard or she falls to her back when she goes to do it herself. i'd really like her to get is before her 4th bday in january but the sooner the better so we can put it in our routine

I would hate to offend anyone here, but nevertheless I have the feeling I will. Children aren't even supposed to start bridging until they're five. The reason she can't do it is because her little arms aren't physically at the point where she can hold herself up. It's likely her arms aren't even that much longer than her head. I've never seen a three year old be able to do a BWO much less a BHS. Her little bones are still developing and any time she lands on her hear or back could be causing serious damage

Anyone have any tips on drills or anything I can do to help my 3 year old get her back handspring? She does great with a one hand spot and on the trampoline she can do it with jsut my finger touching her but shes scared so she wont jump as hard or she falls to her back when she goes to do it herself. i'd really like her to get is before her 4th bday in january but the sooner the better so we can put it in our routine

Why does she need it before her 4th birthday? She will get it when she is ready. My daughter is young and a decent tumbler and it took me time to learn that.

I would hate to offend anyone here, but nevertheless I have the feeling I will. Children aren't even supposed to start bridging until they're five. The reason she can't do it is because her little arms aren't physically at the point where she can hold herself up. It's likely her arms aren't even that much longer than her head. I've never seen a three year old be able to do a BWO much less a BHS. Her little bones are still developing and any time she lands on her hear or back could be causing serious damage

I've heard this before and it simply isn't true shes been able to hold herself in a bridge with her head off the ground since she just turned 2....she was doing it the first month she started gymnastics. She can go down into a backbend from standing as well but can't quite do the kick over yet.
Edit to say I havent seen many do it but i have seen a quite a few 3 and 4 year olds do it over the years

Why does she need it before her 4th birthday? She will get it when she is ready. My daughter is young and a decent tumbler and it took me time to learn that.

She doesnt need it by her birthday....but were doing her party at the gym and she wants to be able to show it to everyone so i was just seeing if anyone had any tips on how to help me help her get it since shes so close

I've heard this before and it simply isn't true shes been able to hold herself in a bridge with her head off the ground since she just turned 2....she was doing it the first month she started gymnastics. She can go down into a backbend from standing as well but can't quite do the kick over yet.
Edit to say I havent seen many do it but i have seen a quite a few 3 and 4 year olds do it over the years
It's not so much that they can't, but that they shouldn't because it's not healthy for their developing bodies. I've seen a few 4s but never ever a 3

It's not so much that they can't, but that they shouldn't because it's not healthy for their developing bodies. I've seen a few 4s but never ever a 3

I've never in my life heard it wasnt healthy for them.....she uses more strength and pressure on her arms in her bar routine than her back handspring

The concern isn't so much in her arms as in her developing back, hips, and spine.
I have seen a tumbling phenom get her ROBHS at 4, but she's an extreme exception. You say she can't do her BWO or bridge kick over, right? Why is she progressing to BHS?

The concern isn't so much in her arms as in her developing back, hips, and spine.
I have seen a tumbling phenom get her ROBHS at 4, but she's an extreme exception. You say she can't do her BWO or bridge kick over, right? Why is she progressing to BHS?

Not all gyms teach a BWO before a BHS....i never learned a BWO.....doing a BHS and a BWO are completely differentit takes more muscle and body control to do a BWO or bridge kick over....she can do her bridge and hold one leg up for a while but cant pull it over on her own...where as a BHS is much faster

At the risk of sounding rude, you asked for advice and people are giving it to you. You can either continue to argue with them and convince yourself that it is your 3 year old that really wants to show off her backhandspring at her birthday party, or you can take a minute and think that maybe it is you that wants your 3 year old to show off and listen to what these wise posters are telling you because they are right! Go to any gymnastics or cheer gym and look at how many 3 year olds are tumbling on their own. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I cant imagine there are many coaches on this board that would condone pushing a 3 year old to get a skill just so they can show it off to family and friends. Also, if you are not a certified coach it is probably best not to work on new skills with her. She needs to learn new skills using proper technique. Learning the wrong way is so much worse than not learning at all.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Not all gyms teach a BWO before a BHS....i never learned a BWO.....doing a BHS and a BWO are completely differentit takes more muscle and body control to do a BWO or bridge kick over....she can do her bridge and hold one leg up for a while but cant pull it over on her own...where as a BHS is much faster

You're right. The BHS is a quicker movement. However the core strength necessary to do a BWO is also necessary to to a good BHS. If your gym teaches a different progression then I strongly suggest asking the coaches for suggestions.

You're right. The BHS is a quicker movement. However the core strength necessary to do a BWO is also necessary to to a good BHS. If your gym teaches a different progression then I strongly suggest asking the coaches for suggestions.

I think I'm just going to delete this post....no one in this group wants to answer my question they jsut want to give their own opinion that I shouldnt allow her to do the bhs....no one is listening to the fact that she almost has it by herself.....she jst has a mental block with throwing it on her own....im not going to wait the next 2 years out jsut so everyone can think shes old enough to do it

At the risk of sounding rude, you asked for advice and people are giving it to you. You can either continue to argue with them and convince yourself that it is your 3 year old that really wants to show off her backhandspring at her birthday party, or you can take a minute and think that maybe it is you that wants your 3 year old to show off and listen to what these wise posters are telling you because they are right! Go to any gymnastics or cheer gym and look at how many 3 year olds are tumbling on their own. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I cant imagine there are many coaches on this board that would condone pushing a 3 year old to get a skill just so they can show it off to family and friends. Also, if you are not a certified coach it is probably best not to work on new skills with her. She needs to learn new skills using proper technique. Learning the wrong way is so much worse than not learning at all.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The reason im arguing is because noone has answered my question they jsut keep giving their opinions...I didn't ask do you think my 3 yr old should be allowed to throw her back handspring...and for your information you should see her jump up and down with a big grin on her face when she lands it.....she does it every time shes loving that shes getting it down she jsut gets a mental black when doing it without a spot.....even one finger convinces her shes safer but obviously shes doing it pretty much herself because one finger isnt gonig to throw her over....and thank you very much i can teach and spot a handspring its not that hard and yes i know the proper way to teach it

Where do you cheer? Have you asked the coaches for their advice? I think it would be helpful to hear what they have to say, simply because they know your daughter and what she is capable of.

Where do you cheer? Have you asked the coaches for their advice? I think it would be helpful to hear what they have to say, simply because they know your daughter and what she is capable of.

I don't like to say where I'm from on online forums...sorry...but I have talked to them and they just say shes close and doing great...but she didnt start the one finger spot thing till tonight.....but shes not in a cheer gymnastics class anymore because shes competing in gymnastics as well so shes in the level 1 class and all they work on is there routines mainly....i think I may ask her coach to work on her bhs dring her private instead of just routines

Back