OT 5 Year Olds Kicked Off Of Team After Taking Approved Vacation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I don't care what the back story is on this or what other version of events there are, who could look at two cute little five year olds and tell them they can't cheer?

The only thing that would make me understand is if the parents were like HAIRGATE mom and were belligerent and out of control.

aww 2 nuggets kicked off a team [emoji15] I didn't realize rec cheer was so serious in other states!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aww 2 nuggets kicked off a team [emoji15] I didn't realize rec cheer was so serious in other states!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it did happen in Texas and kid you note, their 'saying' is "Black and Gold till I'm Dead and Cold" soooooooooooooooo....yeah

It's ridiculous because the vacation was approved. Why kick the kids off?
So you are assuming everything in the article is correct and 100% accurate and no important tidbits of information were left out? After hairgate I would hope we would all realize there could be very important facts that the media hides in order to create shock value and increased readership/publicity.

I'll give you another example of how easily things can get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion. I coach a middle school team. After one game I waited 45 minutes after the game for the parent to pick up. We called, texted - no response. When the mother picked up and I told her that she was supposed to pick up at 5:30, she said "I went to the first game and it ended at 6:30. I wasn't about to wait around an hour for her" I informed her that the previous game started at 5 and that is why the game ended at 6:30 but this game started at 4 and all of the information had been given ahead of time - both by a facebook post and a group text. I told her if she was late again her kid would not be able to cheer. She got home and called the AD to report me and said I threatened to kick her kid off the team because she was "about 10 minutes" late picking up. I guess I should consider myself lucky that she didn't go to the newspapers and television stations.

I'm tired of the entitlement, the "I'm never wrong and I'm going to let the entire world know I was wronged and screwed over". It just needs to stop.

So you are assuming everything in the article is correct and 100% accurate and no important tidbits of information were left out? After hairgate I would hope we would all realize there could be very important facts that the media hides in order to create shock value and increased readership/publicity.

I'll give you another example of how easily things can get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion. I coach a middle school team. After one game I waited 45 minutes after the game for the parent to pick up. We called, texted - no response. When the mother picked up and I told her that she was supposed to pick up at 5:30, she said "I went to the first game and it ended at 6:30. I wasn't about to wait around an hour for her" I informed her that the previous game started at 5 and that is why the game ended at 6:30 but this game started at 4 and all of the information had been given ahead of time - both by a facebook post and a group text. I told her if she was late again her kid would not be able to cheer. She got home and called the AD to report me and said I threatened to kick her kid off the team because she was "about 10 minutes" late picking up. I guess I should consider myself lucky that she didn't go to the newspapers and television stations.

I'm tired of the entitlement, the "I'm never wrong and I'm going to let the entire world know I was wronged and screwed over". It just needs to stop.
Yikes. It didn't occur to me in this scenario, because I don't see national headline potential in it, but you're right.

How sad is it that we can't trust news to be factual?

No, but since the youth team director gave a statement I'm fairly certain I'll take his word for it. He admits they were kicked off for this reason and the reason was they didn't provide a written note about it. I'm sorry, but for a youth team of 5 years old---that's kinda ridiculous.

@quitthedrama, you may have to carry around a time sign-in/sign-out sheet for each person to sign for your protection... Believe it or not, unfortunately, I now have a sign-in/sign-out sheet for my own protection after a child told his parent that he was with me and instead he was hanging out in the streets with his friends...

No, but since the youth team director gave a statement I'm fairly certain I'll take his word for it. He admits they were kicked off for this reason and the reason was they didn't provide a written note about it. I'm sorry, but for a youth team of 5 years old---that's kinda ridiculous.

If there are rules in place, they are for everyone - for the cute 5 year old as well as for Suzie and her mom. You can't have rules only for the people you don't like. One thing that is said over and over again in the coaches forum is, that you have to enforce the rules even with your point-everything kid that you love more than your own child.
I have not read the article, so I don't know what even happened here, but if there was a rule broken, it was exactly the right thing to enforce the consequences.

Last edited:
@quitthedrama, you may have to carry around a time sign-in/sign-out sheet for each person to sign for your protection... Believe it or not, unfortunately, I now have a sign-in/sign-out sheet for my own protection after a child told his parent that he was with me and instead he was hanging out in the streets with his friends...
I have a great AD. Fortunately he was there almost as late as I was so he knew that "10 minutes" was a blatent lie, and the upside of being forced to practice outside on the field is there is always another coach of another sport around lol

If there are rules in place, they are for everyone - for the cute 5 year old as well as for Suzie and her mom. You can't have rules only for the people you don't like. One thing that is said over and over again in the coaches forum is, that you have to enforce the rules even with your point-everything kid that you love more than your own child.
I have not read the article, so I don't know what even happened here, but if there was a rule broken, it was exactly the right thing to enforce the consequences.

I would agree with you except I actually believe the parents side of this story. And by believe I mean, I bet they told someone about their vacations and it wasn't relayed to them that it needed to be in writing. I've been in positions like this myself and it all boiled down to a breakdown in communication. If I had known I needed to do xyz, despite asking if I needed to do anything else, I would have done it...etc, etc.

I do think rules get overlooked more often than they should, especially in AS because it is a for-profit business in most cases, but this story and the comment from the director rubbed me the wrong way.

Back