OT 5 Year Olds Kicked Off Of Team After Taking Approved Vacation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
If the contract states they would wear whatever style WE told them, it would have had the same effect, imo.

The media is going to do whatever they want to do regardless of the "truth"- we know that and we can't change it. But I don't think @catlady meant it from the media's standpoint, I think she meant it for the mom. The mom can't go around screaming about discrimination when she signed a contract that said the hair was to be done up a certain way and if you can't adhere to those rules then there will be consequences. And if the media actually took the time to research this story, the gym could deny any sort of discrimination rumors with a simple "she signed a contract saying she'd follow the rules, she didn't, she knew what was expected" and dispel any discrimination attacks. Unfortunately, the media or the mom did not act responsibly.

I will say this though - my dad is the type of person who preaches to get everything in writing. All the time. He urged me to make a "room mate contract" with my current room mate and despite my hemming and hawing, I did it. And then he said to send it to her in an email and have her agree to it via email. I thought he was crazy. But currently my room mate is trying to find ways out of paying our last month of rent. Our room mate contract says that both of us are to pay our halves each month even if we are not here and I have it in writing that she agreed to all terms. It is relieving to know that I have a bit of protection and could use that against her if, for some reason, I would have to take legal action.

So yeah, contracts are important. Getting things in writing is important. You never know when you're going to need them.

EXACTLY! Why the news media is even dumping competitive cheerleading in the subject of sports, if we are not even recognizes as a true "sport".
Declare us a sport, and then get on our backs for working our athletes too hard. Otherwise, Cheer is a wonderful extracurricular activity that does not required skill and precision...(*Sarcasm*)

Tbh, Right now in my mind, we are comparing Apples to Oranges...and I am sucking on a real bitter orange with this all negative media expos`e on this activity... (quasi sport)

LOL You'll probably find this funny, but I like to keep up with CP's old gym and a few that were in the area. While she didn't cheer at those places, she did take classes and go to camp. Last night a video popped up for one of the gyms so I figured what the hell I am sick as a dog and I wasn't sleeping anyway. One of the comments on the video, I'm not even joking was, "Future Olympians." Clearly I missed where AS cheer was becoming an Olympic sport, but it made me laugh almost in disbelief.

SM's are SM's but, Suzie has a lot less ground to stand on with others when she signs a contract stating she agrees to the terms. I edited my response above but, I'm no Suzie, tend to keep my mouth shut at the gym, and go along with the rules BUT, I would want to know if our hair changed to some of the curly styles that some gyms do prior to paying. Both of my kids would require some type of chemical treatment to maintain curl and I'm not sure I would want the added chemicals or expense it would require.

I get what you're saying and to a degree I agree. I'm one of the most lax parents around with very basic rules that revolve around money, appearance and when you want her---but in this day and age, a hairpiece can be used so I don't think you would absolutely have to go the chemical way to get curly hair; nor do I think most gyms would want you to chemically treat your childrens hair to begin with.

The media is going to do whatever they want to do regardless of the "truth"- we know that and we can't change it.

Very true, I think Kirsten Cole was the shinning example out of this entire story.

EXACTLY! Why the news media is even dumping competitive cheerleading in the subject of sports, if we are not even recognizes as a true "sport".
Declare us a sport, and then get on our backs for working our athletes too hard. Otherwise, Cheer is a wonderful extracurricular activity that does not required skill and precision...(*Sarcasm*)

Tbh, Right now in my mind, we are comparing Apples to Oranges...and I am sucking on a real bitter orange with all this negative media exposure on this activity... (quasi sport)
I see parents bashing cheer using the age-old "that won't get her into the Olympics!" as if their kid has a chance...

I get what you're saying and to a degree I agree. I'm one of the most lax parents around with very basic rules that revolve around money, appearance and when you want her---but in this day and age, a hairpiece can be used so I don't think you would absolutely have to go the chemical way to get curly hair; nor do I think most gyms would want you to chemically treat your childrens hair to begin with. Very true, I think Kirsten Cole was the shinning example out of this entire story.

Oh heck no. 1) Safety, I've seen them fly off while tumbling. 2) I'm not going to buy fake hair for my kids sport, that's where I draw the line. 3) If it becomes part of the score, I'll be pulling my kids. If I wanted to sign my kids up for pageant crap they'd doing pageants and those are things that if they are disclosed in a contract there wouldn't be any questions or frustrations.

Over the weekend I saw those hairpieces that were mentioned earlier in the thread. I guess some local kids are trying/buying them. I just...wow. They are MASSIVE. Like, why does a little kid need hair as big as she is? So bizarre. And so expensive, I assume. My kid is going to have to be happy with her own hair. Lol

Last edited:
Oh heck no. 1) Safety, I've seen them fly off while tumbling. 2) I'm not going to buy fake hair for my kids sport, that's where I draw the line. 3) If it becomes part of the score, I'll be pulling my kids. If I wanted to sign my kids up for pageant crap they'd doing pageants and those are things that if they are disclosed in a contract there wouldn't be any questions or frustrations.

We can definitely agree to disagree on this one. CP has worn fake hair as did I back in the olden days; we've never had an issue with it coming out or being a safety hazard. As for the third, there is still a debate over whether or not it effects the overall performance score so I'd wager a guess that it already does.

We can definitely agree to disagree on this one. CP has worn fake hair as did I back in the olden days; we've never had an issue with it coming out or being a safety hazard. As for the third, there is still a debate over whether or not it effects the overall performance score so I'd wager a guess that it already does.

You really believe if your team stinks, curly or straight is going to make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really believe if your team stinks, curly or straight is going to make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a team can get deducted if they don't look uniform and like a team, but no, I don't believe any one hairstyle is better over another as long as they're all close to the same. Besides, if you ask my 7 year old she'd tell you---stick it stones are the only way to ensure success :)

This sickened me to hear such stupid comments about competitive cheerleading that you don't hear about other competitive sports. I think, cheerleading is lightweight compared to gymnastics and swimming, there are many others, but these are the 2 sports I am directly was/is involved in... At the tender ages of 8 and/or 9 y.o., young children are subjected to at least 16 hours of training and swimming is worse, my niece (11) does 2 workouts per day, she starts around 5am before school and 2nd workout 4:30pm to 8pm everyday except for Sundays. So, whois really working our children too hard....
If news people want to complain, lets complain about these sports, which by the way, do not have an off-season....
True, but tumbling is high impact on your joints whereas swimming is meant to be hard work, but low impact.

@purplecheer do you dislike the idea of signing a contract at your gym explaining requirements, costs, and policies? Or, do you dislike the fact that I don't think fake hair should be required for a sport?

Unfortunately, in the current society where children are being sheltered to the nth degree, I'd say yes. Thankfully my family just judges the money aspect of it, not the actual sport she's committed to. My cousin's two girl's are at the same Competitive Dance Studio as my youngest so I'm not only in the family for kids in competitive things.

I think kids are being sheltered but in relation to competition. I think the child at the 5 and 6 age should be doing for fun first and the competitions are either just part of it or a bonus depending on the sport they do. When. Did a ballroom comp there were over 70 kids in the under 5 you could tell the ones who wanted to have fun verses the kids hmm hmm parent who did it just to win. My studios little ones do it for fun and placed well comparing to the others. The little ones both had older sisters and wanted to be like them and have a pretty dress

The funny thing though was one little one didn't want to do one dance as it was boring to her yet she made the semi final out of 30

I think kids are being sheltered but in relation to competition. I think the child at the 5 and 6 age should be doing for fun first and the competitions are either just part of it or a bonus depending on the sport they do. When. Did a ballroom comp there were over 70 kids in the under 5 you could tell the ones who wanted to have fun verses the kids hmm hmm parent who did it just to win. My studios little ones do it for fun and placed well comparing to the others. The little ones both had older sisters and wanted to be like them and have a pretty dress

The funny thing though was one little one didn't want to do one dance as it was boring to her yet she made the semi final out of 30

I wouldn't say all children who are competitive have competitive parents. Though I'm not the shining example here, because I am competitive as h*ll, I keep that away from my own CP but she is naturally and fiercely competitive. Like one of your little ones, she walked away from dance because she found it to be boring. With cheer, she lives for competing. Would she still do this sport without that? She's already proven to me that she won't on more than one occasion.

I wouldn't say all children who are competitive have competitive parents. Though I'm not the shining example here, because I am competitive as h*ll, I keep that away from my own CP but she is naturally and fiercely competitive. Like one of your little ones, she walked away from dance because she found it to be boring. With cheer, she lives for competing. Would she still do this sport without that? She's already proven to me that she won't on more than one occasion.

The little one loves ballroom but we also did sequence and as for the under 5 it was just step point along the room she got bored but came to life the next day when she got to do proper moves in cha cha.
In ballroom it is quite easy to tell the competitive moms especially for he younger ones and it is all with the hair. If they have a hair style like the professionals in the beginner level as it takes a lot of time or money to do most stick a donut and a pretty flower in the hair.

My studio has the thought is as long as everything is neat and put together we don't care how you look but just dance well though we all get carried away

I will beg to differ as to whether kids need to be exposed to competition at 5 or 6.

It's important in my eyes for one reason:

Kids need to learn how to lose, and lose gracefully.

I don't know that you have ever been exposed to children who haven't grasped the concept of losing yet, but it is not pretty.
Worse when you encounter teens and adults that haven't (at least, not enough).

Back