OT 5 Year Olds Kicked Off Of Team After Taking Approved Vacation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
It's important in my eyes for one reason:

Kids need to learn how to lose, and lose gracefully.

I don't know that you have ever been exposed to children who haven't grasped the concept of losing yet, but it is not pretty.
@oncecoolcoachnowmom, I am laughing so hard at this statement because we just had a Spelling Bee to choose the best speller in each grade (6,7&8) and 6 grader misspelled the word loquacious, this girl spelled location instead and was told she spelled the wrong word. This girl refused to get off the stage, proceeded to insult the MC, by saying, he purposely mispronounced the word, so she can lose to his favorite speller still left on the stage...Crazy displayed of poor sportsmanship!

PS: In my mind, I was saying to myself, Poor child, you are in for a lot of heartbreak, if you cannot accept this defeat...Btw, I also was thinking, "Now Get Off the Stage, your 15 minutes are over, Goodbye!" haha!

I will beg to differ as to whether kids need to be exposed to competition at 5 or 6.

I don't know that you have ever been exposed to children who haven't grasped the concept of losing yet, but it is not pretty.

I agree.

I think that putting a kid in a team sport is great for development. I started as a competitive ice skater when I was 4. And from there I went to gymnastics and then to cheer. I think younger kids learn really valuable team building skills that they won't find in a preschool or kindergarten class room. (Granted, the coach has to be able to work well with kids. ) Being on a cheer team when I was young made me understand that losing was part of life and that I couldn't cry and throw a fit if I did lose. (flashback to turning over the monopoly board when I lost to my big bro as a kid)

Being on a competitive team helped me understand that I had to work hard to get better. And if I wanted to be like the "big girls" I had to work as hard as they did. I think that cheer made me a more competitive person, but that has helped me now that I no longer cheer.

There could be some really amazing school cheer squads in my area if the directors would be more flexible when it comes to practice attendance - my CPs middle school alone has about two dozen high level gymnasts, AS cheerleaders and comp dancers who could EASILY learn the cheers and routines one weekend and just show up a few minutes early for games and pep rallies to review before going on - they would be amazing! But instead they have squads filled w/ girls who can't stunt, tumble or dance a tenth as well as the more active girls, because they are the only ones who have enough time on their hands to make the *mandatory* (meaning you get benched if you miss more than so many) 2-3 day per week practices that are not even on a regular schedule.

I don't know what the answer is - I just think the whole thing is ironic ;). Your story made me think of it.
You just summed up our high school in this post. Wouldn't even allow AS cheerleaders on the squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids need to learn to loose but they also need to know that as long as you have done your best that is the main thing winning or progressing to the next round is just a bonus.
When supporting the younger ones in cheer and now dance I always ask these questions
Did you have fun?
Did you try your best?
Then get them to give me a high five or speak from a sisterly view if they are upset.

I am super competitive and I have to ask theses questions to my self.
Little ones need to learn disappointment but they also start to use it as they get older to be better.

Worse when you encounter teens and adults that haven't (at least, not enough).

I work in a HS. I have seen plenty of that!

I had an almost 16 y/o boy mutter swear words at an athletics banquet when he was not MVP of varsity baseball.

Also, my godkids did non-glitz pageants for a brief few years and believe me, you think cheer has some sore loser kids and parents, you've never been to a pageant. A girl in the TEEN age group at a local event (so not a little kid, at least 14) got Queen of her age group instead of pulling out for a supreme title. After crowning, her mom took the crown up to the judging area and told them "you guys can keep this." What. What is that teaching your kid?

I work in a HS. I have seen plenty of that!

I had an almost 16 y/o boy mutter swear words at an athletics banquet when he was not MVP of varsity baseball.

Also, my godkids did non-glitz pageants for a brief few years and believe me, you think cheer has some sore loser kids and parents, you've never been to a pageant. A girl in the TEEN age group at a local event (so not a little kid, at least 14) got Queen of her age group instead of pulling out for a supreme title. After crowning, her mom took the crown up to the judging area and told them "you guys can keep this." What. What is that teaching your kid?
It's the backlash of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation.

I will beg to differ as to whether kids need to be exposed to competition at 5 or 6.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Kids need to lose as much as they need to win; the lessons it teaches will help them throughout their entire life.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Kids need to lose as much as they need to win; the lessons it teaches will help them throughout their entire life.
The need for failure is also why I have a big issue with our educational system. The message kids are given is "you can't fail". And yet, many of the greatest successes in life come after repeated failures.

@Official OWECheer, well, what are we telling children who attends only 8 weeks or less of school and still get promoted to the next grade. Example, I have 2 boys in my class, one in 7th grade(15y.o) and the other 8th grade (16y.o.), both boys showed up for school 3 weeks in Sept., stopped and then showed up again in January and half of February... Crazy, social promotions and these boys are ill equipped to hold a decent job, neither boys can read or write, but they are being pushed to the next grade.

@Official OWECheer, well, what are we telling children who attends only 8 weeks or less of school and still get promoted to the next grade. Example, I have 2 boys in my class, one in 7th grade(15y.o) and the other 8th grade (16y.o.), both boys showed up for school 3 weeks in Sept., stopped and then showed up again in January and half of February... Crazy, social promotions and these boys are ill equipped to hold a decent job, neither boys can read or write, but they are being pushed to the next grade.
SMH.

In Texas, 7th graders are typically 12-13 and 8th graders are 13-14. Wow-- and we wonder why the US falls behind in education.

But if our honor roll kids (or kids with B/C averages) miss one too many days of school for an athletic activity they can be held back?? Smh

Kids need to learn how to lose. They need to be told no. They need to know that they are expected to try their best, but sometimes their best just won't good enough to be the best, and that's ok. I'm pretty sure I know some adults that need these same lessons.

Over the weekend I saw those hairpieces that were mentioned earlier in the thread. I guess some local kids are trying/buying them. I just...wow. They are MASSIVE. Like, why does a little kid need hair as big as she is? So bizarre. And so expensive, I assume. My kid is going to have to be happy with her own hair. Lol

Those particular hairpieces are only as big as you tease them to be...

Back