OT 5 Year Olds Kicked Off Of Team After Taking Approved Vacation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@Official OWECheer, well, what are we telling children who attends only 8 weeks or less of school and still get promoted to the next grade. Example, I have 2 boys in my class, one in 7th grade(15y.o) and the other 8th grade (16y.o.), both boys showed up for school 3 weeks in Sept., stopped and then showed up again in January and half of February... Crazy, social promotions and these boys are ill equipped to hold a decent job, neither boys can read or write, but they are being pushed to the next grade.

These are the same kids who come to HS and are in AWE of the fact that they are NOT being promoted to 10th grade at the end of freshman year, in which they earned all Fs.

The middle school promotion process sets kids up for failure in HS. They cannot understand the fact that you now have to earn credits and even if you are 16 in 9th grade, you will remain in 9th grade as long as you fail to pass classes.

@Official OWECheer, well, what are we telling children who attends only 8 weeks or less of school and still get promoted to the next grade. Example, I have 2 boys in my class, one in 7th grade(15y.o) and the other 8th grade (16y.o.), both boys showed up for school 3 weeks in Sept., stopped and then showed up again in January and half of February... Crazy, social promotions and these boys are ill equipped to hold a decent job, neither boys can read or write, but they are being pushed to the next grade.
And BTW I went off on a tangent (I have a tendency to do that in convos); I wasn't talking about kids failing to meet standards and still being allowed to move ahead, I was talking about the persistence required to achieve great things in life and that children are conditioned by the school system to believe that failure is the end (OBVIOUSLY a failing kid shouldn't be allowed to move up to the next grade).

It's the backlash of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation.

Yes.

Pageants are also strange in the fact that PARENTS DON'T WANT COMPETITION. It is one of the only activities I have ever experienced in which parents WANT their kids to compete against as few kids as possible.

Example: I feel like most parents in cheer (while they DO get nervous about their kids competing against big name programs) would be ANNOYED if they drove 6 hours for their kid to compete against ONE OR TWO TEAMS.

In pageants, there are people who will WITHDRAW their child if there are "too many kids in their age group." I'm not even talking about like "There's 50 and that's too many." I mean, there are FIVE and that is too many.

You seriously want your kid to walk away with every prize because she is the only teen? Really? Or is competing against like, one girl?

These are the same kids who come to HS and are in AWE of the fact that they are NOT being promoted to 10th grade at the end of freshman year, in which they earned all Fs.

The middle school promotion process sets kids up for failure in HS. They cannot understand the fact that you now have to earn credits and even if you are 16 in 9th grade, you will remain in 9th grade as long as you fail to pass classes.
Yes, I agree with your message...However, it is the Primary grades that first pushed them out and then the MS must do the same because most parents do not want their 10 or 11 y.o. little girls in the same class or school with 15 or 16 y.o. young men and unfortunately, presently most school districts in my area have no provisions in place to educate these older students. I just got news that the 16 y.o. dropped out and the truant officers cannot force him to go to school or even go after the parent(s).

Yes, I agree with your message...However, it is the Primary grades that first pushed them out and then the MS must do the same because most parents do not want their 10 or 11 y.o. little girls in the same class or school with 15 or 16 y.o. young men and unfortunately, presently most school districts in my area have no provisions in place to educate these older students. I just got news that the 16 y.o. dropped out and the truant officers cannot force him to go to school or even go after the parent(s).
What makes me sad is the parents' apathy. If they don't care, the kid is probably hopeless.

What makes me sad is the parents' apathy. If they don't care, the kid is probably hopeless.
Having now lived through high school twice... and on my 3rd go around... please do not assume the parents are apathetic. Some kids are just wired differently, think they know everything, don't listen at all and refuse to "conform". Sometimes no amount of parenting by even the "best" parents makes a difference. Trust me it is agonizing for many of these parents.

Having now lived through high school twice... and on my 3rd go around... please do not assume the parents are apathetic. Some kids are just wired differently, think they know everything, don't listen at all and refuse to "conform". Sometimes no amount of parenting by even the "best" parents makes a difference. Trust me it is agonizing for many of these parents.

So.Much.YES. It's easy to believe that kids who choose to do poorly are a product of bad parenting and maybe some are, but plenty of kids who are unsuccessful come from families who are doing a lot right.

So.Much.YES. It's easy to believe that kids who choose to do poorly are a product of bad parenting and maybe some are, but plenty of kids who are unsuccessful come from families who are doing a lot right.

And likewise, there is also a large percentage of the population that goes on to be successful, productive members of society who come from the worst of the worst. Temperament and personality can have just as much influence as nature and nurture.

Back