A Whole New World: Cheer Mom To Cheer Coach's Wife And Mom To A Coach!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2013
Click For Full Article

5beb87_0b3dda345ed642be91dced1f1130255d~mv2_d_1280_1280_s_2.png

I have written for years about being a cheer mom: a mom of a Worlds athlete; a mom in this crazy world of All Stars; the ups and downs and in betweens; the do's and don'ts and all the amazing moments.
BUT now I face my biggest and most important challenge: being a coachs' wife and a coach's mom (Not kidding)!!
This blog has been the hardest for me to write because there is SO much!
As a mom, It was easy to sit up in the stands, cheer loudly, get excited, take her to practice, criticize at times, pay my money and then move on to the next competition, the next season! It was the best 15 years ever!
BUT being a coach's wife and a mom to a coach? Well, that's a whole different world, a whole different support system! Foreign territory!
I am not exactly a quiet person, as some of you know, (insert laugh here) so sometimes it's hard to keep my mouth shut! As a cheer mom for 15 years, it was fine because no one really listened to me, except on Twitter (ha, ha). But as a coach's wife, when you talk, people listen. This is a good and a bad thing! Lol!
As coach's wife and mom, you have to be supportive, no matter what! You have to sit in silence when you want to stand up and say "OMG, fix it!" It's even harder when you hear parents criticizing and you can't say a word.
I have found myself saying "that wasn't great" instead of saying "they will get better."
I have had to hug my child and hubby and say "they just need a little more work" when I really want to say something else. ;) lol.
Being a coach's wife and mom is hard work! Wow!
At the end of the day, they really have no control. They can put the best routine on the mat and give their teams everything to succeed but it's ultimately the athletes that have to do their jobs! Talk about stressful!
5beb87_0a090e236fb44b629dbb8f98df9442da~mv2_d_1512_2016_s_2.png

As coaches wife, it's hard to not see your spouse in the evenings, on weekends. They miss family dinners, birthdays, kids after school practices....all for the team. They come home late at night... sometimes with no day off for weeks and it doesn't stop there. They are doing count sheets, watching videos... racking their brains to figure out what will make their team better and how to make it happen! I swear my husband doesn't sleep!
Ha ha.
They try to figure out what they can do to motivate and train their athletes to be the best! The team's success is their success which is the gyms success! I never really thought of it like that!
As a mom, I never knew half of this! But man, when their team does well and hits a routine, that feeling is nothing like you have ever known. The athletes are happy, the parents are so excited and then poof--- your spouse and or daughter are the heroes and you are proud!
It's just such a different feeling than when they kill it on the mat.
5beb87_4b3b11cfe31f421f84182b96d5a2cae0~mv2_d_1512_1396_s_2.jpg

My daughter has said to me "Mom, I'm so nervous for my team and it's hard because I have no control. I have to sit here and pray they hit. This is way more scary than walking on to the mat at Worlds."
Wow!! Now, if that doesn't put it into perspective, I don't know what does!
I never thought of it from the coach's perspective. And can I just say WOW, parents complain a lot! Good Lord!
Ha, ha!! That's a whole different blog I think. :)
To sum this one up, I have watched and observed and my conclusion is this: I'm still a cheer mom at heart and I have a lot to learn about being a great cheer coach's wife and a mom to a cheer coach! But I will end with this... my husband and my daughter are my world and I will always support them and love them even when I disagree!
Ha, ha!!
Bring on nationals season...I'm ready!Happy Cheering!!Nicole... Aka Mamakat ❤*Follow me on social media for all my fun adventures!Insta: @gypsysoul4lTwitter: @gypsysoullifeFacebook: Nicole Sundquist

Back