Aacca Braced Flip?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SarahS

Cheer Parent
May 24, 2011
Is a braced flip ever legal under AACCA rules? I was under the impression that it was not, however, at a competition today, the AACCA-certified head safety judge said that, since it happened in a pyramid, it fell under the pyramid rules and since the pyramid rules in AACCA don't say anything about inversions, then it is legal. Is she right? If she is, then why does the inversion rule specifically state that the top person in an inversion must have contact with two people and they *cannot* be bracers? I just cannot wrap my head around this reasoning. (To be clear, one of our competitors completed this skill and, well, yeah, didn't get called for a deduction.)​
I don't have a video of the team from today, but they did an inverted flip like at 2:42 in the video below:​

Aaaaaand by "inverted flip" I mean braced flip. Lol. Obviously inverted.

Here's the video:

The braced flip occurs at about 2:45.

Additionally, what about the release during a pyramid in this photo? I would say that this is inverted, and thus, illegal (according to AACCA, inverted is a body position where the shoulders are below the waist.) This was the same school's JV team. This isn't sour grapes - my team beat this team. I'm just really worried about setting a precedent in the county - we attend a county competition with all of the local middle and high schools. I can't imagine how terrible it will be if the middle schools start to attempt these inverted skills because the high schools have been allowed to do them without penalty.... and then someone gets hurt. But hey, I may be wrong in my interpretation of the rule, like the head safety judge said I was. Please help. Thanks!

25z2q2u.jpg

That is a very questionable call by the "head safety judge" seeing that on the 11-12 school AACCA rules, section C is just entitled "Inversions". Inversions are their own section of rules, and are therefore not under just partner stunts (section D) or pyramids (section E), so they should cover both. There isnt anything under section D about inversions either, so i don't understand why they would count it only for partner stunts and not pyramids, since there isnt technically anything about inversions in either category because Inversions have their own section.

I would suggest contacting AACCA for further clarification.....even if they tell you the same thing, it will draw attention to the fact that they either have incorrect rules interpretations from a judge, or it will notify them to put a star or something in the rules for both sections in the future to clarify.

Thanks. That was my interpretation as well. I've sent an email to AACCA asking for clarification.

Andre can you offer any insights? Thanks so much.

Thanks. That was my interpretation as well. I've sent an email to AACCA asking for clarification.

Andre can you offer any insights? Thanks so much.

I'm not sure why someone said they were legal. The closest thing to a flip that is legal under AACCA is a suspended forward roll and the picture is an inversion under AACCA and USASF rules.

Back