OT Acl Surgeries

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
If you have had one please post your experiences or advice? I need all the advice I can get

My daughter had and is back 99% pm me with any ? Biggest advice, follow all Dr's order to a T! Don't rush recovery!

I guess my biggest worry is how long I'm going to be out of work. Id like to be up and at least on crutches after 2 weeks

And worried about the pain

Last edited:
They had her in PT 3 days after surgery and school within 1 1/2 weeks. Off drugs by the time she went back to school, Strong drugs for a week or so I think. First few days take drugs as scheduled don't wait until u feel any little bit of pain.

I guess my biggest worry is how long I'm going to be out of work. Id like to be up and at least on crutches after 2 weeks

And worried about the pain
Most patients I have seen are off crutches by 2-3 weeks, definitely by 4, most back at school/work within a week or so. Best advice is listen to your doctor and go to PT!

Do you have any specific questions?
I was on crutches for probably 3 weeks maybe 4 and it a locked out brace for 8 weeks because of a additional meniscus tear. I was out total for 8 months.

Do you have any specific questions?
I was on crutches for probably 3 weeks maybe 4 and it a locked out brace for 8 weeks because of a additional meniscus tear. I was out total for 8 months.

I have an ortho appointment on Monday. I have just never had surgery, Im worried about the swelling as well.
My mom is going to be here to help, I am not a back sleeper but have had to learn to be one through this process.
Im nervous about the medications ill be on too. Were you able to eat? or did you not feel like it. I love food lol so im concerned

She did nothing for 2 days, no eating just slept, everyone is different. Get a body pillow. That helped her get comfy in a chair and bed.

I have an ortho appointment on Monday. I have just never had surgery, Im worried about the swelling as well.
My mom is going to be here to help, I am not a back sleeper but have had to learn to be one through this process.
Im nervous about the medications ill be on too. Were you able to eat? or did you not feel like it. I love food lol so im concerned
The surgery itself is so easy. You show up, they knock you out, and then you wake up with a new knee! The meds were not bad, they really helped as I was still able to eat. The first day I really only had Panera chicken noodle soup but after that I had family/friends bringing a lot of good food and I could eat it all. The only time the meds really screwed with me was like 5 days after I had to drive back to the surgeon to get it looked at, I had a two hour drive (I got surgery when at college from the team ortho guy and then my parents drove me home after). I ate food right after the appointment and got super nauseous on the ride home and lets just say the food saw daylight twice... after that I stopped taking the pain meds. ACL tears suck. If you have any questions at all or just need to vent to someone one anything, please let me know!

I'm assuming all of y'all had surgeries at an older skeletal age. I've read that there are questions about surgical repair on younger knees (growth interruption, etc.) Anyone have experience with younger knees?

Waiting on Mini's MRI results from yesterday. Ortho suspects ACL tear. He's only 11.

I'm assuming all of y'all had surgeries at an older skeletal age. I've read that there are questions about surgical repair on younger knees (growth interruption, etc.) Anyone have experience with younger knees?

Waiting on Mini's MRI results from yesterday. Ortho suspects ACL tear. He's only 11.
Yea, that makes it a little trickier, it depends, but sometimes they'll wait to do the surgery until the growth plates have closed. But there is also a way to do the surgery without damaging the growth plates. I can't stress doing PT before and after surgery enough though.

I have two daughters both tore their ACL's last year at the same time and they are 14 and 16. The surgery was pretty easy , PT was long but very necessary and it took 9 months to clear them both. I have noticed no major problems yet but they have only been cleared for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, that makes it a little trickier, it depends, but sometimes they'll wait to do the surgery until the growth plates have closed. But there is also a way to do the surgery without damaging the growth plates. I can't stress doing PT before and after surgery enough though.
My cp was 16 yo. Pt before and after both surgeries. ( folded miniscus then ACL 3 months later). Cleared 6 months after 2nd one. Did not full for another 3 months. No more flying only restriction.

Back