Adult Returning To Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 29, 2014
I'm keen to hear if anyone has any advice for an adult (25 year old) who is returning to tumbling after a 4 year break. Before that my tumbling was very inconsistent and after hyper extending my elbow in a back handspring and tearing ligaments I am pretty nervous.

I used to do 2 privates a week plus tumbling classes, but even then my tumbling was so inconsistent and I felt like I wasn't progressing. Is there anything I can do at home to help?

Strengthen your arms, legs and especially your core. Make sure you are stretching before and after workouts/tumbling and keeping your body nice and limber to avoid injuries.

Condition, Condition, Condition! The more you can stretch & strengthen, the easier the transition will be. I'm not going to lie to you, getting back into tumbling shape as an adult is very difficult. Your mind will still remember how to do skills, but your body will most likely not be physically in the same place as when you left tumbling. (for example, how to do a BHS is burned into my memory forever, but my arms/shoulders aren't able to block like they used to....which makes sense because I am no longer a 16 year old, throwing that skill every day at practice). Don't get frustrated when you aren't able to just come in and instantly be where you left off. Start from the basics and re work your way up the progressions, ensuring that each skill leading up to the next one is 100 percent strong. Rushing too fast will lead to injury.
Something to note as well: You need to listen to your body and take care of it. When we are teenagers, we are able to not stretch, eat junk food, go to practice in shorts on a cold day & still throw a full like it is nothing. As adults, that is not the case. You HAVE to stretch with warm muscles (before & after practice), eat foods that will give you energy & nutrients, etc. or your body will be aching for days.

Condition, Condition, Condition! The more you can stretch & strengthen, the easier the transition will be. I'm not going to lie to you, getting back into tumbling shape as an adult is very difficult. Your mind will still remember how to do skills, but your body will most likely not be physically in the same place as when you left tumbling. (for example, how to do a BHS is burned into my memory forever, but my arms/shoulders aren't able to block like they used to....which makes sense because I am no longer a 16 year old, throwing that skill every day at practice). Don't get frustrated when you aren't able to just come in and instantly be where you left off. Start from the basics and re work your way up the progressions, ensuring that each skill leading up to the next one is 100 percent strong. Rushing too fast will lead to injury.
Something to note as well: You need to listen to your body and take care of it. When we are teenagers, we are able to not stretch, eat junk food, go to practice in shorts on a cold day & still throw a full like it is nothing. As adults, that is not the case. You HAVE to stretch with warm muscles (before & after practice), eat foods that will give you energy & nutrients, etc. or your body will be aching for days.

Thank you so much! That really helped alot.

Ditto everyone on the conditioning. And start slow. Work through your progressions again, even if they're easy. They'll get your body used to the actions in each skill again.

Back