Advice For Triple Downs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm currently working on my triple downs and need some advice on getting a full three fulls.
Tonight will be my first practice trying them and I really want to give it all I've got, but I haven't seen any threads on them for pointers. I've done two and 1/2 a few times by accident, and I've got a clean double from a one-man arabesque; my twists are both super fast, although I have a bad habit of opening up too soon and after doubling I dead drop from about the elbows down. (My base is ridiculously tall, haha.). Is there any great drills or tips to break the habit and keep spinning? I've worked on them a lot on the floor; holding arabesque, hitting the t position then twisting three times with the momentum I get from my arms. (This hits, but I'm nervous to try it in the air). Any tips or tricks will be super duper appreciated! <3

Thanks so much!

Not sure you're going to find anyone with advice, considering that triple downs are illegal. Why are you trying to learn them?

Not sure you're going to find anyone with advice, considering that triple downs are illegal. Why are you trying to learn them?

Really? That actually makes a lot of sense, haha. :) I want to learn them for tryouts; I'm hoping to make my gyms IOC6 next season and also the promo team, which has a girl with a triple. My coach said if I get them, it will give me a major edge over the other flyers. I had no idea they were illegal. :eek:

Yeah. Illegal for all star, college, high school, rec, Pop Warner. I guess you could do them on a promo team if you're not competing.

Just a word of advice...I would beware of any team that is asking you to perform illegal stunts. A triple down isn't that big of a deal, but if the coach choreographs other illegal elements it could be dangerous. Stunts are illegal for a reason, so even if you're not competing it's not a great idea to be performing them. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, I just would hate for you to get injured doing something dangerous.

Good luck at tryouts!

Agreed that triple downs are illegal. You can do kick triples in tosses however, in level 6. That might be something to look at, though I'm not a top, so other than being hollow and pulling hard and tight, I can't help with that

Agreed that triple downs are illegal. You can do kick triples in tosses however, in level 6. That might be something to look at, though I'm not a top, so other than being hollow and pulling hard and tight, I can't help with that
Interesting, I never knew kick triples were legal in Level 6. I've never seen one competed before. I always just assumed anything with 3 twists was illegal, but nope. Learn something new every day.

I've seen beautiful kick tripples at camp last weekend, a czech team did them, they perform it in level 6 at comps. Not sure if they can tripple down, though. But i feel like we had a competition last year were you could do tripple full downs from stunts in the groupstunt categories. But not sure, didn't get into it because we have no one who could do it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@retiredl5cheer ; totally not a Debbie Downer at all! I ended up talking with the flyer with her triple last night and I feel a lot better about it now, also talked with my coach whom apologized and explained about the legality and about what's actually required for next year.

Also on the bright side, we tried a few triples with a full stunt group and it's super close; I make it about 2 3/4 but I don't think I'm waiting long enough for the pop. We also gave kick triples a try; didn't work at all, haha. But we're going to work on it.

Warriors used to do kick triples back when they were allowed in level 5. We also had a guy that could do a full/kick/double full basket that was incredible.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

I've done kick triples and I found I just had to ignore instinct after the double and just hold on for dear life. Got smacked and beat up a bit but I have competed a clean kick triple basket. They're not worth much, inversions will generally score higher, so not many teams do them if they have the option not to.

I've done kick triples and I found I just had to ignore instinct after the double and just hold on for dear life. Got smacked and beat up a bit but I have competed a clean kick triple basket. They're not worth much, inversions will generally score higher, so not many teams do them if they have the option not to.

That's how I felt too; after the second twist my tummy was all butterflies and I had to attempt not to flail or open too soon. The instinct to catch myself is incredible. Definitely prefer tuck or layout baskets. So much easier! :) Going to keep working it though; it's awesome that you got them. They look so pretty when done clean. <3

We trippled down from stunts for fun a while back with one or two of our experienced flyers back then. The trick is to twist straight upwards during at least the first rotation. If you lay back too early, you have almost no chance of making it around plus you risk diving so badly with your head that it will make the whole thing dangerous.
And of course, the tighter and straighter you stay, the better and cleaner it will be. :)

As for kick triples, I'll second what BowCat says: You have to go against your learned instinct of opening after 2 twists. And also really ride that basket to get maximum height.

Kick triples were always easier for me than doubles because of how fast and tight I spin.... I use to love them until I overrated and landed face down and broke my nose on my backspots shoulder...... my tips would be to ride, and have a really aggressive kick, and to constantly squeeze inward on your twists...... not worth it honestly.... rather see a nice double full or Arabian 1.5 than a kick triple.

Back