Advice Needed - Basing Vs Flying

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 11, 2012
Would love your insight and experience with this situation. My daughter is 10 and working on standing tuck and full. She is a base but shorter for her age. While she perfectly fine in this stunt position for now and successful at it, my concern is for as she gets older. Both sides of our family are short, no one over 5'6". So I know she will not be getting much taller. She used to fly on minis but has a muscular build and now bases. She continues to go to stretch class to maintain her great flexibility - can pull her body positions. Since the gym focuses on their current level she doesn't get the opportunity to work on flying skills at all. My concern is that she could end up, for example, level 4 in everything else but still 1 in flying. What would you suggest? Put her in flight privates even though she doesn't fly right now just to be successful if the coaches ever give her the opportunity? I just want her to have her options open still in the future. Have u ever seen some go from being a base to later on in level 3 or higher start flying?

I based all my life and got thrown into flying in college. It was tough because I was having to keep up and perform the same stunts as girls who had been flying for a decade.

Is there an opportunity for her to double team onto a lower level team? Maybe she could cross to a Junior team to build her flying skills.

i would have her keep up the flexibility, and if shes interested then put her in a flying (stunting) private/lesson/class. short people base to though so you never know. (im 5'1 and have based people taller than me most of my cheer career)

Back