Age Grid 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by GlitterBear, Mar 5, 2020.

1. EHANcheer

EHANcheer I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That’s exactly how I read it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have been on fierceboard a long time and still have not mastered sharing a picture. LOL

3. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Sidenote: According to the age grid I missed the cut off for Itty Bitty Kitties, Clawstle Kittens, KittyKatz, and Peppermint Rays by like 30 years.

Rude.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 9
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Took a few edits and trys, not gonna lie!

5. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If your a small or new gym with very few kids, the odds of the majority of the athletes falling into that age group and level 1-3 is pretty high. A small/new gym owner being able to fit most of the kids that walk through their doors into one age division is a huge benefit. Based on the fact they didn't expand every division by that amount, I'm assuming that's what they're trying to accomplish. Perhaps a test to see if they can eventually get rid of D2? Skill wise, most gyms are building their teams with max skills now, so higher level crossovers are less of an issue. Who knows. But, I can see some logic with it only being Jr. age with the majority being in levels 1-3 and narrowing the ages in Jr. 4 and Jr. 5.

6. AshleyErin

AshleyErin I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    From an unfortunate experience as a senior athlete, I can confidently say no deduction :oops:

....Lets just say front tumbling and poor bladder control is not an ideal combination

• Shimmy Shimmy x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I can’t imagine they would ever get rid of d2 and that d2 summit unless they actually lose money on it somewhere which would be a surprise. Another good point, let’s ditch the crossovers now that there is little excuse to not be able to field teams.

8. emo_wifey

emo_wifey Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes, it's always been 3. Before they added novice and minimum ages CP started at 3 and her teammate started after her third birthday but technically cheer age 2.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If they got rid of D2, that doesn't necessarily mean they would have to get rid of all of those bids. This year, Summit is May 1-4 and D2 May 8-10. With the International teams increasing, they could choose to do an International weekend instead of a D2 and pull back on, let's say, the Youth Division at Summit to make way for the increased bids needed for D2.

10. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That would all be fine with me but as I see it a lot of the growth in International are US teams going for international and regular Summit bids. I don't see those programs being interested in two different weekends.

11. CGAcheer

CGAcheer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    The change in the Jr age will drastically curtail the growth of International Jr in America

12. Atxmom

Atxmom They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Not a fan. So if I understand it correctly my child born in 2004, who just aged out of junior will be eligible for a junior team next season as a 16 year old (17 in the spring) 11th grader ? That gives her 1 year in the senior division if she competes her senior year of high school.

My daughter is well behaved and kind. She feels responsible for her younger teammates but she shouldn’t have to be a babysitter. She was finally on senior team this year and had a few younger ones on her team. I remember at one comp her patiently and politely watching while one of them pulled her aside so she could show off how good her teddy bear was at “baskets tosses”. Not to mention the countless piggy back rides, tears etc.

13. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Obviously, my thinking out loud holds no bearing on what their actual plan is, but I don't really see the need for D2 anymore with that age grid whether or not the shift is in Int'l, or elsewhere. I'm interested in seeing how many actual non-US International teams there will be this year, because I would imagine their desire with the Int'l division was more about bringing in actual International teams and not just US "International" teams.

14. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    You can see bids awarded using this link
    2019-2020 Summit Bid Reveals - Entries - Varsity

15. EHANcheer

EHANcheer I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    While I do think the age gap on lower end is too low I can say as a parent of a 9 year old (cheer age 8) on a higher level junior team, it isn’t the handful of 9 year olds on the team that have trouble listening/staying on task. I would say at least on our team the nine year olds are just as focused...they haven’t gotten to that level by nine not having listened and staying on task and they have far less drama and attitude towards the coaches at their age...as most of them are “too scared” to get in trouble

I think the con to having a big gap, at least in our case, is that a 9 year old doesn’t have much in common with a 15 year old. We’ve been lucky to have a group of younger ones this year and they def stick together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk