All-Star Alcohol/drugs At Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think one of the reasons vaping is being targeted is that there are many vape oils/juices out there that have THC in them. Maybe that is one of the reasons they are cracking down on this part of it.

I totally agree and have set some people straight. We pay to be there also, this isn’t some free trip they just hand out to cheerleaders. But to be honest I skip the celebration party every year cause it is too many teenagers for me, especially after being at the arena all day.

Oh yeah there are way too many teens for me in most places at most times. But regardless, we have to share the planet with them and their goofiness. Plus I’m still sort of young enough to remember my teen years and I know they’re just being themselves when they get loud or crazy. It’s the only way they know how to be and yeah it’s annoying, but usually harmless.

I think one of the reasons vaping is being targeted is that there are many vape oils/juices out there that have THC in them. Maybe that is one of the reasons they are cracking down on this part of it.

Thc vapes (for the most part) look distinctly different then a Juul or ecig. The cartridges are cylindrical rather then pod shaped. While there are people who fill pods with THC wax it’s mainly limited to states with legal marijuana where those pods are sold at dispensaries. The low prevalence of these makes me think that isn’t a reason to ban vaping.

IMO the ban probably came because they didn’t want to ban cigs and then see tons of 18+ cheerleaders on open teams vaping to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so true. And vaping is more of an issue with teens currently than smoking is. It is one of the biggest problems with the high schools in my area, and many vapes don't look like what you would expect them to. Kids will be caught weekly vaping in the school bathroom as they don't see it in the same manner as smoking. They view it as much safer and less damaging to their health Honestly, I think it is easier to just blanket everything rather than pick and choose. If they're going to seriously patrol this, it's easier if there's no grey areas. All athletes, all ages, all substances.

I have no problem with the rules applying to minors. I think it is a bit ridiculous for legal aged individuals, and yet if they are going to have this rule for all athletes, it should apply to all USASF and IASF members including coaches and gym owners. A legal aged athlete drinking or smoking should be a gym issue and not a USASF issue. I also have a problem if this only applies to USASF and not IASF - it is completely unfair to have one set of rules for international athletes and a different set for US athletes at the exact same competition.

I don't smoke but from past experiences with weekend comps on an Open team, several athletes did. They struggled not having a cigarette for a day, so I think that one may cause a bunch of issues for people. Is the no smoking thing maybe to do with Disney banning cigarettes and vaporizers in the parks though?

I would believe the smoking and vaping rule has to do with the new Disney rule that goes into place on May 1. The rule includes all theme and water parks, ESPN, and Disney Springs which is where most of the cheerleaders are at any given time.

The drinking is safety and liability, it can take up to 10 hours for a body to process alcohol and the sun and alcohol just compound dehydration. I don't want my kid tumbling next to or being thrown/caught by the person that was drinking. Moderation is subjective and people process alcohol much differently in the Southern sun. ETA: Sun and Alcohol

Last edited:
On many Disney travel blogs cheer competitions are written about as a time to avoid the parks. Most things I have read state that the kids are obnoxious unruly teens taking over the park. I haven’t had that experience but it’s how it is seen by others.

I have a lot of friends that aren't involved in cheer and tell me they HATE to be in Disney at the time of big competitions. I've also had wait staff of restaurants in Indianapolis tell me they dread Jamfest weekend because the kids and parents are "nightmares." Any policy that reigns in the wild behavior is for the best so that people outside of our industry stop dreading us.

I have no problem with the rules applying to minors. I think it is a bit ridiculous for legal aged individuals, and yet if they are going to have this rule for all athletes, it should apply to all USASF and IASF members including coaches and gym owners. A legal aged athlete drinking or smoking should be a gym issue and not a USASF issue. I also have a problem if this only applies to USASF and not IASF - it is completely unfair to have one set of rules for international athletes and a different set for US athletes at the exact same competition.

Agreed wholeheartedly with your sentiment and the loopholes that exist with USASF/IASF and coaches. Here's the thing - if you are still competing, I totally get the no alcohol or smoking rule, even for those over 21. Safety is a big deal and we don't want hungover/intoxicated people throwing others in the air; however, I firmly believe once you're done competing, you should be allowed to enjoy going to Epcott as an adult to drink around the world. I know that for me, Summit will be my first ever trip to DisneyWorld and I'm 25 years old, so if these rules are being implemented that weekend as well I will be livid, especially if it's coming just a week or so before the event.

Someone brought up work conferences and how you're not allowed to drink on them - every work conference I've been to, the district have paid all of my fees (hotel, transportation, food, conference, etc.) for me, so if they said no drinking I didn't drink (although they've never once said that, they just don't allow us to use district funds if we drink obviously). Worlds is way different, especially if you don't have a full paid bid. This is something athletes are dropping $1000+ on. I'm totally on board with USASF saying "hey, you can't drink at the event, you can't drink before competing, and you can't drink on the Disney properties." I think all of those are reasonable and well within their range of power, even if they are a bit annoying. But for them to say you can't drink whatsoever off site either, even as an adult? I'm sorry, that's just absurd.

I'm on a IOLC 6 team from Canada and we had to sign the same code of conduct! This is also for IASF athletes

Agreed wholeheartedly with your sentiment and the loopholes that exist with USASF/IASF and coaches. Here's the thing - if you are still competing, I totally get the no alcohol or smoking rule, even for those over 21. Safety is a big deal and we don't want hungover/intoxicated people throwing others in the air; however, I firmly believe once you're done competing, you should be allowed to enjoy going to Epcott as an adult to drink around the world. I know that for me, Summit will be my first ever trip to DisneyWorld and I'm 25 years old, so if these rules are being implemented that weekend as well I will be livid, especially if it's coming just a week or so before the event.

Someone brought up work conferences and how you're not allowed to drink on them - every work conference I've been to, the district have paid all of my fees (hotel, transportation, food, conference, etc.) for me, so if they said no drinking I didn't drink (although they've never once said that, they just don't allow us to use district funds if we drink obviously). Worlds is way different, especially if you don't have a full paid bid. This is something athletes are dropping $1000+ on. I'm totally on board with USASF saying "hey, you can't drink at the event, you can't drink before competing, and you can't drink on the Disney properties." I think all of those are reasonable and well within their range of power, even if they are a bit annoying. But for them to say you can't drink whatsoever off site either, even as an adult? I'm sorry, that's just absurd.

There is no way that they can enforce an adult of legal age having a drink or two off property.
They can't enforce it on property if you are not in your uniform and have no identifying clothing or any other way to tell you are competing. However. If you are in your uniform with your team's name and gym's name and post it on social media publicly with hashtags, that's on you. The adults who are behaving and acting like responsible adults are not the targets here. It is those who are acting like obnoxious party animals.

My point about work conferences and parties is that if you act a fool there, you can lose your job. In theory, Worlds is an exclusive event that you had to earn to be there.

Does this apply to say, aged out kids (still minors) who come along with a team but may appear to represent that gym?''

Ex: Aged out CA athlete gets Spring Break crazy at the afterparty. Do the consequences apply here for the gym?

Does this apply to say, aged out kids (still minors) who come along with a team but may appear to represent that gym?''

Ex: Aged out CA athlete gets Spring Break crazy at the afterparty. Do the consequences apply here for the gym?
absolutely anyone affiliated with the gym. It's all in the code of conduct.

I have a lot of friends that aren't involved in cheer and tell me they HATE to be in Disney at the time of big competitions. I've also had wait staff of restaurants in Indianapolis tell me they dread Jamfest weekend because the kids and parents are "nightmares." Any policy that reigns in the wild behavior is for the best so that people outside of our industry stop dreading us.
The good part for us is it keeps a lot of the annual passholders home. They all came out the Monday after UCA and it was packed I thought it was a holiday.

I may be thinking more of the younger cheerleaders, but who knows maybe this behavior extends to Worlds age athletes too........ I was wondering today what makes cheer families different from another sport like soccer or softball. And I think that a lot of families of young cheerleaders like to encourage what they call "sass". And it's what I call being a brat. Many of these kids most definitely do not leave it on the mat. They bring that attitude to other area's in their life. And that probably plays a part in why people are often advised to avoid Disney during cheer weeks.

There is no way that they can enforce an adult of legal age having a drink or two off property.
They can't enforce it on property if you are not in your uniform and have no identifying clothing or any other way to tell you are competing.
However. If you are in your uniform with your team's name and gym's name and post it on social media publicly with hashtags, that's on you. The adults who are behaving and acting like responsible adults are not the targets here. It is those who are acting like obnoxious party animals.

My point about work conferences and parties is that if you act a fool there, you can lose your job. In theory, Worlds is an exclusive event that you had to earn to be there.

If it is during their event, they have the right to enforce alcohol rules in or out of uniform, as well as, on or off property. I have no doubt there will be athletes and adults policing this and snapping pics to see how serious the USASF is about enforcing it. Most of us have heard stories of athletes either smoking or being hungover during performances, and people were outraged that nothing was being done about it. Now that the USASF is coming in and taking a no tolerance stance, there are bound to be those that complain about overstepping. People may not realize it, but you don't have to be drunk to be found negligent in safety and a picture within a timeline is all it would take to provide a lawyer with ammunition.

Back