Alcohol/drugs At Worlds

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Sterling von Shimmer, Apr 20, 2019.

1. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I really don't know, but I don't believe for a second they want to police or turn people in. My guess is if there is the slightest chance they could be held liable if they don't turn pics/video of illegal activity over, they aren't go to hesitate. I guess there's always the chance if someone is assaulted they wouldn't come forward right away. I can't imagine the police would do anything with those pics/videos except write up a report noting the location and timeline, and keep it just in case someone comes forward.

2. carolinagirl823

carolinagirl823 I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Might be my age talking, but anyone who witnesses someone breaking the law (no matter how small the law may seem) should absolutely report it to law enforcement. Bravo to USASF for putting rules in place to punish athletes for breaking the law.

We need bigger sports organizations to follow suit. Prime example being the NFL for continuing to employ men that have domestic violence charges filed against them. The rules need to apply to everyone.

3. AllyCat

AllyCat I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    Allycat0019
    Twitter:
    AlySCheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I’m not affiliated with CEA, but I could be decked out in their attire getting drunk, someone takes a photo. They shouldn’t get in trouble for a fan that appears to be an athlete or an alumni that looks like a current athlete. There would be little way of knowing and that’s an issue I think

4. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    So, given that no disqualifications have seemed to happen I'm gonna go with---this policy meant absolutely nothing.

Even the kid, who supposedly punched a hole in a wall at ESPN, wasn't even held to this level of standard.

This is USASF covering their booty, nothing more than more smoke and mirrors.

5. OldskoolKYcheercoach

OldskoolKYcheercoach I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I’ve got a better question:

Have we become so chemically dependent as a society that we are somehow obligated to mix youth athletic activities and alcohol?

Parents dragging coolers of booze into baseball complexes so they can get hammered and make total asses of themselves with other parents, coaches, and officials.

Beer gardens at cheer competitions.

Any one who thinks an alcoholic beverage is a necessity to make it through a weekend of cheer competition has a substance abuse issue and no coping skills.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  6. MomMomMamaMom

MomMomMamaMom I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The flip side also was apparent, there were definitely multiple Twitter posts of athletes in compromising pictures spread about. One of which was discredited, another of which was stated to have been from way earlier in the season,( the gym actually posted that they had previously addressed their athletes earlier in the season) and others of which were questionable to say the least. It definitely showed that enforcement would be a nightmare.

Funny enough someone actually tagged USASF in a post asking who to talk to about drunk athletes and was told to contact their regional rep. On a busy cheer weekend, lol, where it is very likely no one would actually answer... and do athletes and/or parents even have access to a regional rep?

But as I mentioned in another post, given that a heavily sanctioned program/director coach was all over social media talking about continued coaching/directing, I think we already knew there wasn’t a lot of gusto behind these policies. If they were applied, I’d have little doubt they wouldn’t be enforced.

7. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Obviously you are not and have never been the parent of a LAG cheerleader.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 16
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • List
  8. DonnaM

DonnaM I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I didn’t drink even before I went on medication where mixing with alcohol is a bad idea, but honestly, I don’t think a parent who buys a beer at a venue where it is openly and usually sold and drinks it over the course of an afternoon while their child spends several hours on the fields at ESPN practicing, or the over 21 open team athlete who gets a beer after their team is done competing, but while watching the other teams from their program has a substance abuse problem. And the only comp venue that we have gone to this year that had anything harder than a Mountain Dew or Gatorade was WWOS, where most will be taking shuttles or Uber back to hotels anyway.

I do have some saltiness for parents who don’t supervise their children in hotels or at comps, but that can happen without alcohol.

9. Tator tots

Tator tots I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    You’re right! A couple of Xanax’s might be a better choice for the parents. It would be quite a mellow crowd out there. Problem solved!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • List
  10. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    You guys who get to have a beverage are lucky. I have to stay sober at my child's events (2nd grader) in the event that he has a meltdown and has to be carried off the field.

...We're working on it.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  11. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Biergarten, aka Beer Garden, is a restaurant at Epcot. When the cheer competition is at Disney, it's not their fault that Disney has already provided them with the Garden of Beer.

I'm not commenting on the rest.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I don't drink because I don't like the taste. With that said, it surprised me how many kids realized I was a non-drinker and how many would call my kids and ask if I would mind picking them up because their mom/dad were too drunk to drive. I don't mind taxiing kids, they are actually very entertaining, but I am always slightly amazed at the amount of kids fending for themselves for rides and dinner on these weekends. I do tend to agree with @OldskoolKYcheercoach on most of their points. All of the kid events I formally chaperoned had a no tolerance policy with drinking. I don't have a problem with adults that drink in moderation at these events. I, also, applaud the parents that won't drive even after one drink. What I don't understand is not having a plan for your kid to eat and get a ride if you want to drink and enjoy friends.

13. Cheerfun2

Cheerfun2 I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have been known to indulge in a glass or two on competition weekends! However, I agree that as a parent, your absolutely first and highest priority is your child. I never have a cocktail if my child isn’t safe and accounted for, that is what a parent does. No excuses.

14. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    You'd be surprised. Or maybe not. We have honestly had more problems with parents when travelling than with any athlete. It blows my mind annually.

15. AshleyErin

AshleyErin I Fierce Board instead of work/study Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    When I was a teen and still cheering all of my moms best friends were other cheer moms - we would go on away trips and they would all get together at the bar and drink, having a grand old time. These are all senior (or open) athletes who, for the most part, are being chaperoned by their coaches. If a parent of a teenage athlete wants to go out and have a drink while their athlete is practicing/getting ready with teammates/in a team meeting and then going back to their room with their teammates why shouldn't they? Sometimes it's social for the parents too.
    If they are being chaperoned by parents than I agree - you should not be drinking regardless (at least not enough to impair your judgement)