College All Girl College Squads

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I notice a recent trend of colleges adding all-girl cheerleading squads as of late. The purpose is to give high school and all-star female cheerleaders who mainly served as either bases or back spots an opportunity to cheer on the collegiate level without having to make the transition to cheer on a large coed college squad. In recent years, I noticed that at the UCA College Nationals that the All-Girl IA Division shares the same prime-time spot in the schedule alongside the Division IA Large Coed category.

Some of the schools include:
Alabama (who won both Division IA and All-Girl IA categories this year)
Louisville
Indiana
Morehead State
Mississippi State
South Carolina
Minnesota
San Diego State
USF

Your thoughts?

Purdue recently also added an all-girl team. Within last two or three years I think?

Florida State has an all girl. I noticed Penn State had an all girl also - I don't know if that is new. They had coed competing too. Ohio? Oklahoma? May have had both also.

Florida State has an all girl. I noticed Penn State had an all girl also - I don't know if that is new. They had coed competing too. Ohio? Oklahoma? May have had both also.
Oklahoma has an all girl. I don't believe Ohio state does.

We have large coed and small coed that both compete at NCA along with two all girl teams that are club teams. I like that they have small coed, bc it offers more girls the opportunity to cheer as backspots, flyers and bases. Both coed teams cheer at football games, and Large coed does mens basketball and small coed cheers womens basketball-but they can mix together for holiday games and big rivalry games. I think Clemson has all girl.

That's correct - Purdue added all girl in 2011-12. First group of seniors are graduating this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish their all girl competed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's great that all-girl teams are being added, especially to such respected and successful programs. It opens up so many more opportunities for girls of all positions and backgrounds to be a part of the collegiate cheer experience – backspots, bases, or really anyone who has spent most of their cheer career in an all-girl squad.

I could be wrong so don't quote me but I think Ohio State's all girl exists, but is CLUB and not affiliated with coed or the official athletic department.

Back