All Star Cheer Vs Gymnastics Team

Discussion in 'Cheer Newbies' started by Mouey77, May 6, 2013.

1. Mouey77

Mouey77 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That definitely makes sense. There is no way her skills on the other 3 events are strong enough to compete level 4 or 5 for gymnastics! Gah!! Would it be ridiculous to let her continue tumbling once a week for the next year at the cheer gym and give the gymnastics team a try? If she doesn't like it, then she could switch to cheer the following year, but will hopefully have maintained her tumbling skills. I think we (I) have commitment issues! :)

2. cheerfannj

cheerfannj I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I was a gymnast and cheerleader and my daughter is an allstar cheerleader. If your daughter loves all events (bars, beam etc and likes the individual accolades i would stick with gymnastics. If she really only likes to tumble and can dance, cheer

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

3. cheermommaRN

cheermommaRN Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If she does gymnastics she will not use those tumbling skills. The skills she has in tumbling would be considered level 5/6 in gymnastics...if she is on a level 1 team and they have not discussed "uptraining" her and letting her work on the higher level skills during practice then she will be doing forward rolls all day long. Also unlike cheer gymnastics has strict age guidelines for competing each level, since she can't compete level 4 until she turns 6, they may be offering level 1 to get you in the door and then move her up depending on how fast she levels up on the other events.

4. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    She's young. At this point I would expose her to as many different sports and activities as you can and when she is ready she will make the choice. My older ex-cp started in gymnastics and took a cheer tumble class when she was 7 1/2 because she wanted to get her bhs for town cheer - she walked out of that tumble class saying "THIS is what I want to do - no more gymnastics" and never looked back. We started all-star cheer that very season. Her best friend stayed with competitive gymnastics through middle school and was never interested in cheer.
    One of big overall difference is that gymnastics, although she would be on a team, is very much an individual sport whereas cheer is all about the team and not the individual child. If your child prefers the limelight and showcasing her skills, you might want to stay with gymnastics.

5. Mouey77

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Well, she had her first "team practice" for three hours tonight. I know it's a lot to go from one hour once a week to three hours twice a week. She complained a lot and tried to convince me her stomach hurt and she needed to go home, right before asking for some tootsie rolls. She was not happy to hear that she goes back later this week. I know we need an adjustment period, but now I'm leaning towards letting her try out for cheer. My gut feels it's a better fit.

6. shoptilldawn92

shoptilldawn92 There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    at that age i don't see why she cant do both i did both for a few years and it really helped me decide and grow my knowledge of skills and technique

7. cheermommaRN

cheermommaRN Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    6 hours a week for a level 1 team?! That is way to much, my cp was doing 6 hours when she was level 3!
    I can't imagine how long their level 4 team practices are...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

8. Mouey77

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I figured the meets would conflict with cheer competitions. And I think the minis team also does twice a week practice.

9. Mouey77

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes! But up until this year, it was the level 2 and 3 team. Not sure that makes a difference.

10. piglet

piglet I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Did y'all decide?

11. glitterandbows12

glitterandbows12 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    livelovecheer13
    Twitter:
    Rose_StHilaire
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    From my experience gymnastics teaches you better technic in tumbling, and they work on specific skills for longer times, but cheer helps you get tumbling faster. This may just my inner cheerleader speaking but I think she should try out for cheer :)

12. CoreMom

CoreMom Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I'd put her into cheer for this season and if she totally hates it, than you could switch her back to gymnastics. :)

13. AllstarCheerKenzie

AllstarCheerKenzie I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I did gymnastics for 11 years, I competed the last six years. I just switched to allstar cheer. I was a former level 7 gymnast. I needed a change and always wanted to cheer. Her tumbling might be good but u need to be equal with all skills on each event in order to be placed on a certain level. if she just likes to tumble but is not too happy with the other events, then i would put her in a cheer program. she is young enough to try either one then switch if she wants... good luck.

14. CheerlyHere

CheerlyHere I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It depends on the quality of the gyms and your end goal. If you're thinking she/you want her to end up a cheerleader, then it really depends on how well tumbling technique is being taught at the cheer gym (and maybe the gymastics one too since those aren't always great). If the gymnastics gym has better technique, then have you considered having her take a tumbling only class at gymnastics instead of Level 1 team? Which level would she be on if she doesn't do team?

15. Gymguurl_dreeew

Gymguurl_dreeew Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    In my opinion I think she should do cheerleading. If she is working on a back tuck and she's only going to be level 1 in gymnastics I'm afraid that maybe the coaches won't let her work harder skills. In gymnastics the level you learn back tucks is 6. ( 5 with the new system) so if she joins cheerleading shell probably progress quicker.