All-Star All Star Club Team Vs All Star Prep

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 24, 2014
I am interested to have more information regarding the All Star Club division... are many companies offering this as a division at competitions? What is the main difference between Club & Prep?

I am interested to have more information regarding the All Star Club division... are many companies offering this as a division at competitions? What is the main difference between Club & Prep?

Think Senior Elite, TopGun Large Coed, Stingrays Peach for Club divisions. These divisions follow standard USASF rules/regulations in terms of levels/ team size & age grids. These teams are allowed to compete TWICE at 2 day competitions and are worlds-eligible (lv. 5 & 6)

Prep teams follow the USASF age grid, however are not classified as Co-Ed or All-Girl. They are also not allowed to compete twice at a 2 day competition. Athletes are not allowed to cross into a 'club' division (at the same event). Most distinctively though, Prep divisions have modified safety rules, which restrict skills. I also believe Prep Divisions compete shorter routines (2 min as opposed to 2.5 min). All rules re: prep and club can be found on the USASF website: http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM3/...ite/Safety/docs/USASF_2016-17_Rules-Cheer.pdf

I could be wrong - but I think that most often half year teams , or new/inexperienced teams will opt for the prep division. However the far more common division would be the club division. ALL 2 day competitions will offer a Club division however, maybe not a prep division...

Hope this helps. And anyone feel free to correct me if I am WAY wrong!!

I noticed All Star Rec on the schedule for the first time this weekend's small local comp. I was talking with the coach for a bit and she said that they used to be Pop Warner and then decided to break off and do All Star Rec since they wanted to control their schedule and have a longer season. She said that it also allowed her more freedom on how they placed the kids. She was able to make a larger team of higher level skills without having to deal with limiting age restrictions.

I *think* their routine was 2:30 and not the shortened length of 2 minutes that prep had. I can't remember if they did baskets.

I think Prep is only levels 1-3. Can Rec go higher?
I'm honestly not too well versed in rec, but there is a Senior 5 rec division at Cheersport Nationals every year. So it exists I guess, no idea how common it is.

Rec and prep are different. Rec routines look very much like all star routines. 2:30 minutes, with baskets, same skill levels, etc.
I'm quite sure rec needs to be attached to another sport... for instance cheer for a football team. I know some companies ask for a notarized letter from your youth league to compete in rec. We wouldn't be doing sideline cheer or connected to any other youth sports team.

Think Senior Elite, TopGun Large Coed, Stingrays Peach for Club divisions. These divisions follow standard USASF rules/regulations in terms of levels/ team size & age grids. These teams are allowed to compete TWICE at 2 day competitions and are worlds-eligible (lv. 5 & 6)

Is there an actual division at comps for club teams or do they fall in a regular leveled all star division?

Rec and prep are different. Rec routines look very much like all star routines. 2:30 minutes, with baskets, same skill levels, etc.

True Rec, sideline cheer for a sport and follow more UCA guidelines
They also have a variety of skills and a 2:30 routine.
Although some true Rec teams do compete a more NCA style too... depends on location usually and or coaches preferences:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly not too well versed in rec, but there is a Senior 5 rec division at Cheersport Nationals every year. So it exists I guess, no idea how common it is.
I'm pretty sure rec at Cheersport nationals is just the school division since they took schools out a few years ago. I could be wrong, but last I checked they were pretty much just high school teams.

I'm quite sure rec needs to be attached to another sport... for instance cheer for a football team. I know some companies ask for a notarized letter from your youth league to compete in rec. We wouldn't be doing sideline cheer or connected to any other youth sports team.

Is there an actual division at comps for club teams or do they fall in a regular leveled all star division?
Club teams in the allstar world are just the normal teams. Using a well known gym as an example: cheer athletics is technically a club, so panthers/cheetahs/etc are "club teams." Club is the regular leveled 1-6 divisions you are familiar with in allstar. Allstar will only have 2 main types... regular and prep. The "rec" teams I've seen at Cheersport nationals and Jamfest Supers appear to all be high schools and middle schools.

Not to confuse... but "club" at UCA school competitions is different and is more for the non-rec type teams or the more school style teams that aren't affiliated with a school. It started because there were teams entering (and dominating) the rec division, even though they technically weren't a rec team. The club division was created for these type of teams. I think of it as an allstar team that, for whatever reason, chooses to use a school style format instead of allstar. It's very much how allstar started out way back in the day.

'Club' is a regular division. It wont be specified by an event producer. Prep divisions will be identified as they're the minority.

I think Prep is only levels 1-3. Can Rec go higher?
This is the information from jambrands Louisville in regards to the Rec division. Other EPs still use Novice, Intermediate and Advanced divisions. Novice generally follows L1-2 Rules. Intermediate L3. Advanced L4-5.

Recreation Scoring, Rules & Restrictions

All Recreational Teams will follow the USASF Rules and Regulations for the levels in which they are competing. To view those rules, please visit USASF Cheer Rules

Scoring Grids and Level Appropriate Skills documents can be found at Varsity All Star Cheerleading - Varsity Scoring

Performance Rec is defined as a competitive rec division that has level restrictions and will be judged on the Varsity All Star Score Sheet, and follow the level guidelines for All Star cheer set forth by USASF.net. Teams in Performance Rec divisions often practice more, have competition practices and/or compete on a regular basis.

Traditional Rec is defined as a lower commitment and/or entry-level competitive rec division that has level restrictions and will be judged on the Varsity All Star Prep Score Sheet. Teams in Traditional Rec divisions typically practice less than Performance Rec teams, focus on cheering for their organization’s athletic teams and/or compete very sporadically.

In order to maintain the integrity of these Traditional Rec divisions, the following skill caps will be in place:

1) No basket tosses allowed at any level

2) No stunt quantity or coed quantity requirement

3) Jumps are capped to the 4.8 range

4) Stunt difficulty, pyramid difficulty, standing tumbling difficulty and running tumbling difficulty are capped at the LOW range

Back