All-star Revolution Coaches On Good Morning America

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by WEmom1210, Jan 17, 2019.

1. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I'll preface this by saying, I am definitely not saying this is the case with these coaches. With that said, I think it is worthy to note that extreme displays of emotion often run both sides of the polar emotional spectrum. My first thought when I saw this was, "That's great, but now I want to know how they react when they're angry?" If this was an occasional "just won the lotto" moment, awesome for the kids and coaches! If this was "the kids were awesome, so now I want people to focus on me," not so great. People should raise an eyebrow to attention drawing extreme behaviors, good or bad, it can be a red flag.

And, well said @quietmom

2. alpaca

alpaca Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I've stayed out of this thread bc I'm pretty sure that people will downvote me. But here goes anyway:

I have had some personal experience with coaches like this. They have engaged in a lot of attention seeking behavior in and out of the gym. Its just who they are. I believe that they get lost 'in the moment', and they don't realize that they are taking attention away from the kids. Because if I'm watching the coach, I'm not watching the kids. But the kids feed off it. I think it can really help pump them up and it can help their performance. As long as it is not TOO distracting.

I've also experienced that coaches like this often don't understand the quieter kids. In my personal experience, they play favorites with kids and parents that are as OTT as they are. That has been a challenge for us as a family because CP is very quiet and I think that both of us are uncomfortable with these displays of energy/affection etc. I wont begrudge them their reactions if they allow me to support my kid in my own way. But I've gotten crap for not showing the same level of excitement as they do and that's just not right.

This may not be the case for the coaches in the video. It may not be like this for other teams. This is just our experience from CP's several years of cheering.

3. Pebbles49

Pebbles49 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have to admit, I really enjoyed watching the over the top celebration by the coaches and I concluded(my over analytical mind) that these coaches were excited that their athletes had a breakthrough and hit a difficult routine, probably, their practices the athletes missed more than succeeded and I also concluded, the cheer season just started and possibly the competition they competed at was not as intense, so overexcitement on the sideline is permitted. However, I know coaches are not allowed to over celebrate at the bigger competitions and not do it, due to distractions.

PS: Tbh, I rather see this type of emotions from coaches than the Bobby Knight's type of emotions (which someone mentioned earlier) throwing chairs and flinging profanities in the athletes' faces.

4. CLynn

CLynn I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    100%! I completely respect him and have learned so much from him on these pages. I didn't mean the post to offend him in any way, and frankly was disappointed he was locked out of the thread and unable to come back and defend himself/support his positions. Having said that I did think my post was related to the original topic, and if it is ok to judge the original coaches harshly from the video and I can understand why some might judge what he was posting harshly.

Editing to add: I understand why he was locked and did feel bad that it seemed I was piling on, which was not my intent at all.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I totally get what you’re saying, but in my experience I expect a professional cheer judge to stay focused on the cheerleading no matter what happens. That’s part of the job, and I think a lot of them can be trusted to maintain that self-discipline.

6. alpaca

alpaca Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

I agree with you. I was actually thinking of myself in these situations. As a spectator, I get distracted by OTT sideline behavior and it affects my ability to enjoy the performance.

7. Rudags

Rudags Two Time Defending Champion, Board Comedian

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    teamspiritfx
    I am a(n)...:
    Choreographer
    I think for the most part, these are just coaches being excited. When I coached, I would jump up and down and get super excited. I knew all my excited marks: When Stunts Hit and when Pyramid Dismounts. The guys in the video, despite at one point laying on the ground (wtf?) seemed pretty genuinely excited for their team and responded how I feel a majority of the coaches in this industry do when cheering on their teams. The girl in the video, however, is hardly cheering on the team as opposed to putting on her own show. This is the coaches box so whoever is videoing is clearly another co-coach and you can hear them laughing most of the video. This to me, signifies this was premeditated and NOT About cheering on the kids, but making it about the coaches and attention of the coaches.

To be fair, we don't know the circumstances. Maybe this team had a rough season and the coaches said "We will go absolutely H.A.M. and Ridiculous if you hit your routine this weekend" in which, we know as coaches, we would pretty much do anything to get our kids amped up and to do well. I've worn a pair of zebra spankies once and it got me a full paid bid ;-)

However, assuming that was not the circumstances, I think home girl needs to tone it down and rethink where the crowds attention is. Yes, judges will be professional and watch your kids, but why not have EVERYONE (including spectators) be focused on your KIDS PERFORMANCE as opposed to your own.

Point of the matter, if their co-coaches video taping werent laughing at this behavior, I may have a different perspective but since they are dying laughing, its clearly out of the norm and was made to put on a show.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. WEmom1210

WEmom1210 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

Not sure if it was the co-coaches video taping this or not, but it very well could have been people in the stands video taping this.
    I was at this competition at Moody Gardens in Galveston, TX and the stands were on both sides on the stage. So we had to watch from either side of the mat. Basically because of the way this was set up some of the stands were right next to the coaches box.
    So it could have been a co-coach that videoed or it could have been a parent or a random person. Not really sure ...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. TealShades

TealShades I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Om I didn’t know my comment would cause so much drama. Oopsy, sorry. My intention as never to cause drama.

10. NJ Coach

NJ Coach 10's Across the Board....literally. Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Welcome Back!

11. Rudags

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    teamspiritfx
    I am a(n)...:
    Choreographer
    Thanks. But, I never left. I hop on at least once a week to catch up on poorly chosen uniform designs, Cheer Athletic rumors and the other misc. threads. :cookie:

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Rudags

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    teamspiritfx
    I am a(n)...:
    Choreographer
    You're right, we dont know who it is for sure, but looks awfully close to being in the coaches box to me. But, I wasnt there, but still isn't changing my mind that this was a ridiculous reaction to a routine hit unless it was a random "we're gonna act a fool if you hit' to boost moral. Other than that, it takes away from the performance of the kids. And thats fact.

13. NJ Coach

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    You haven't posted in awhile...at least that I've seen. And in case anyone was wondering, my "Welcome Back" was said in my best JR voice ;)

14. Rudags

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    teamspiritfx
    I am a(n)...:
    Choreographer
    I'm what they used to call a "lurker". And What? Who wouldn't know that? I totally read it in a "Welcome back Ladies....Wellllcoooommmmmme Back"

ETA: Hope all is well! <3

15. NJ Coach

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Things are great, except that @ScottyB thinks it's funny to report every single post of mine as spam. The other mods, admins, and I just LOVE him right now ;) It's kinda fun to see how long it will go until he gets actually banned, instead of just banned from this thread