All-Star Allegations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What are the odds Navarro pulls their spirit program completely? This is a whole lot of negative press and does not paint them in a very good light.

Depends. Is it a $$$$ draw for the school?

Schools don't shut down their cash cows, like football.
Exactly. I would be willing to bet not a single Navarro cheerleader attends the school for academics, but of those cheerleaders how much income are they generating versus the cost of the program? It's pretty much the only thing the school is known for, but if there is no financial gain it would be far easier to eliminate the program. However, my guess is if they do anything, which I think is unlikely, it will be a program suspension versus an elimination.

Exactly. I would be willing to bet not a single Navarro cheerleader attends the school for academics, but of those cheerleaders how much income are they generating versus the cost of the program? It's pretty much the only thing the school is known for, but if there is no financial gain it would be far easier to eliminate the program. However, my guess is if they do anything, which I think is unlikely, it will be a program suspension versus an elimination.

I started off at Blinn junior College then transferred to Texas A&M University. I eventually worked on my Masters online through Texas Tech. Both of my girls will probably start of at a Junior college similar to Navarro. I promise you we care about academics, education, and the future.

I started off at Blinn junior College then transferred to Texas A&M University. I eventually worked on my Masters online through Texas Tech. Both of my girls will probably start of at a Junior college similar to Navarro. I promise you we care about academics, education, and the future.
My apologies - in re-reading my post it came off harsh which was unintended. There are many valid reasons to go to a junior college - all of which you listed. The point I was trying to make and was unsuccessful at, is that many of the Navarro cheerleaders attend Navarro only because of the cheer program. There are some who transferred from a 4 year college to cheer at Navarro, some who are out of state, some who go for longer than two years, and many who wouldn't be at Navarro if the cheer program wasn't so successful. Those are all of the wrong reasons to attend college and what I was referring to, and it doesn't just happen at Navarro so I don't mean to single them out.

I agree that CCs are a good idea for many students and have a lot to offer. Part of the draw for students to go to Blinn is because it is used by so many as a stepping stone to Texas A&M. How much $$ do you think Blinn would lose if Texas A&M decided to stop accepting transfer credits and student from Blinn? The cheer team is to Navarro what the TAMU stepping stone is to Blinn (probably on a smaller scale, though).

I just caution people not to stereotype type. My oldest has no desire to cheer in College. My youngest would love to cheer in College. They both care about their education.

I'm blissfully unaware how Navarro works. But wouldn't you have to be a student there to cheer on the team?

I'm blissfully unaware how Navarro works. But wouldn't you have to be a student there to cheer on the team?
You would be surprised. There are some colleges where "junior college affiliate" athletes are allowed to compete for a 4 year university. I don't think this applies to Navarro however.

You would be surprised. There are some colleges where "junior college affiliate" athletes are allowed to compete for a 4 year university. I don't think this applies to Navarro however.
i dont know i would imagine theres got to be some incentive for kids to come from out of state to cheer for a CC. But navarro doesnt fit the CC mold, they seem to offer a ton of four year programs, maybe its easier to get in then other traditional colleges, maybe the offer automatic admissions into another 4 year school if you get your 2 year degree there and more then anything its probably cheaper. A lot of those things can mean everything. And technically navarro isnt a community college, anymore at least.

Navarro and TVCC both offer full Cheer scholarships. That is a great incentive.

i dont know i would imagine theres got to be some incentive for kids to come from out of state to cheer for a CC. But navarro doesnt fit the CC mold, they seem to offer a ton of four year programs, maybe its easier to get in then other traditional colleges, maybe the offer automatic admissions into another 4 year school if you get your 2 year degree there and more then anything its probably cheaper. A lot of those things can mean everything. And technically navarro isnt a community college, anymore at least.

There are zero four year programs, I am not sure why you keep mentioning their 4 year programs? (Unless CC's in Florida have them - Navarro does not.) All degrees offered at Navarro are associates degrees (average of 60 credits) or certificates. Junior/Community colleges are a wonderful stepping stone into a four year program financially or for students who aren't totally sure what career they are interested in yet. Normally you go to the community college in *your* community; you don't fly across the country for something you could typically do in your own backyard.

Most of Navarro's success comes from their proximity to Cheer Athletics and they get a lot of kids who are within super senior age or just turned 18/19 who want that one time shot to cheer for CA and enrolling in Navarro keeps parents happy because they are pursuing education. Also, I am sure there are a handful of athletes who were NOT interested in higher education, and the prospect of winning a national championship with Navarro got them to attend college and maybe even transfer into a 4 year college, so that's good.

I actually know some people who transferred from a 4 year school to Navarro or TVCC for a year or two (one of whom was from a relatively distant state) to get a ring and then transferred back to a 4 year after. Cheer was a huge part of my decision when I was picking a college but that kind of backwards step purely for cheer is crazy to me.

Wow, and no guarantee you will get a ring. Last two years TVCC won. Seems to be very close competition between those two teams.

Back