All-Star Allegations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are zero four year programs, I am not sure why you keep mentioning their 4 year programs? (Unless CC's in Florida have them - Navarro does not.) All degrees offered at Navarro are associates degrees (average of 60 credits) or certificates. Junior/Community colleges are a wonderful stepping stone into a four year program financially or for students who aren't totally sure what career they are interested in yet. Normally you go to the community college in *your* community; you don't fly across the country for something you could typically do in your own backyard.

Most of Navarro's success comes from their proximity to Cheer Athletics and they get a lot of kids who are within super senior age or just turned 18/19 who want that one time shot to cheer for CA and enrolling in Navarro keeps parents happy because they are pursuing education. Also, I am sure there are a handful of athletes who were NOT interested in higher education, and the prospect of winning a national championship with Navarro got them to attend college and maybe even transfer into a 4 year college, so that's good.

In my area of FL, the community college I used to dual-enroll with in high school turned into an accredited 4 year state university. They offer selective 4 year programs, but still have a large variety of 2 year degrees as well. I can't speak for all of FL, but in our little section of FL it does seem to be a thing now. It was a beast trying to get transcripts when I had no idea my 2 year CC turned into a 4 year state college. LOL

In my area of FL, the community college I used to dual-enroll with in high school turned into an accredited 4 year state university. They offer selective 4 year programs, but still have a large variety of 2 year degrees as well. I can't speak for all of FL, but in our little section of FL it does seem to be a thing now. It was a beast trying to get transcripts when I had no idea my 2 year CC turned into a 4 year state college. LOL
yes, which is why i thought navarro was a CC that offered four year programs. ive never heard of a 2 year CC having full blown on campus housing, football, cheer, etc. I would think thats a pretty rare thing.

yes, which is why i thought navarro was a CC that offered four year programs. ive never heard of a 2 year CC having full blown on campus housing, football, cheer, etc. I would think thats a pretty rare thing.
its becoming a bigger thing. CC's are realizing that regardless the class type/cost, many students want a campus experience. For them its simple, why not boost enrollment numbers by adding some sports and dorms

its becoming a bigger thing. CC's are realizing that regardless the class type/cost, many students want a campus experience. For them its simple, why not boost enrollment numbers by adding some sports and dorms
Seems like that would negate the main benefit of a CC...the cost per credit. Dorms cost a fortune to construct and maintain, and sports...whoa. Major money suck.

Seems like that would negate the main benefit of a CC...the cost per credit. Dorms cost a fortune to construct and maintain, and sports...whoa. Major money suck.
You're forgetting about the value that comes with Students wanting to attend. Wanting to walk on campus. Wearing sports apparel on and off campus. All those are major marketing expenses for the school with or without sports/dorms. By closing the separation gap between the visual differences of a major university and a local CC, students feel the value of their dollars go way up and more dollars are usually spent at or on the school.

Do Sports Programs and Community Colleges Mix? — The James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal

Athletics in Community Colleges | CommunityCollegeReview.com

Exactly. I would be willing to bet not a single Navarro cheerleader attends the school for academics, but of those cheerleaders how much income are they generating versus the cost of the program? It's pretty much the only thing the school is known for, but if there is no financial gain it would be far easier to eliminate the program. However, my guess is if they do anything, which I think is unlikely, it will be a program suspension versus an elimination.
Well actually my daughter attended Navarro (Graduated high school at 16)competed for Coach Aldama and Team USA. Deans List , Presidents List and was in Honors College , PTK, did community service, graduated with 2 Associate Degrees Magna Cum Laude. Transferred to Baylor and is competing for their A&T. It was nice to not have to pay 4 years of Baylor. (My financial gain ;) )(She is not on athletic scholarship at BU) and she obtained hard floor tumbling experience and basket experience to prepare her for Baylor A&T. Navarro also has a pretty good Baseball/ Softball program. I doubt the program will be suspended or eliminated.

You're forgetting about the value that comes with Students wanting to attend. Wanting to walk on campus. Wearing sports apparel on and off campus. All those are major marketing expenses for the school with or without sports/dorms. By closing the separation gap between the visual differences of a major university and a local CC, students feel the value of their dollars go way up and more dollars are usually spent at or on the school.

Do Sports Programs and Community Colleges Mix? — The James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal

Athletics in Community Colleges | CommunityCollegeReview.com
But does Navarro cost the same as a CC? I wouldnt want to spend twice the money just to get an AA all because a CC offered sports and dorms.

Back