Allstar Vs. Pop Warner Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To add to Apples and Oranges, PW, AYC, and UYF cheer squads are all prohibited from holding try-outs and hiring choreographers (that's not to say some teams have choreo donated).

I loved doing, and love coaching a rec team... but I prefer watching All Stars compete. Much like how people who played football in high school loved playing but like watching the NFL even more.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: what is so wrong with people being proud of their accomplishments? So the PW team thinks they're great, better than allstars... who cares? They're probably better at doing sideline cheers. They're probably better at including cheers in competition routines. Let them celebrate their accomplishments, and smugly laugh at their naïveté in your head if you must. Let kids be kids and be happy for them and their achievements.

To add to Apples and Oranges, PW, AYC, and UYF cheer squads are all prohibited from holding try-outs and hiring choreographers (that's not to say some teams have choreo donated).

Last year there was a town in my PW league that not only HELD TRYOUTS to place kids on teams but CUT KIDS from the team if they dont have any skills! (there weren't even that many kids in the program last year) It is terrible! Last December they won two 1st places @ nationals and 1 5th place finish. Its just wrong since nobody has realized what they've done.

And yes... they will have there tryouts again this year.

Being apart of rec cheerleading since 2000 (coaching and cheering) I've seen both good and bad things come out of it. The coaches are all voluneters, so yes some times the coaches actually KNOW what they're doing, and some are just random moms wanting to take up a hobby. Also, the cost it about $200 for the whole season. We only spend from end July-November as a team & not really working on competition routines till September; outside, in the grass, twice a week for two hours. It's not like AS where we have a gym, equipment, tons of USASF certified coaches who have six months perfecting our routine and skills before our first competition.
If you're lucky, you'll have a good group of girls who are really dedicated and skilled. But of course there is also a few girls who just do it for whatever reason; just to be called a cheerleader, something to do on the weekends, ect. In Allstars, you don't see that very often considering the nice $4,000+ price tag that comes with it.
Although that does happen very often, I've had some years where I've had a really great team where everyone was dedicated and we ended up going undefeated (by undefeated I mean, getting first at the only two competitions we went to ;))
Rec cheerleading made me fall in love with cheerleading. With being one of five kids (one of which is disabled) my parents couldn't afford to put us all, not even one really in a sport with such a large price tag. That;s why even at 16 I was begging the league to raise the age for their competition team that they have every year just so I can fit in three more competitions before I finally have no other options (unless my high school starts competing which is 99.9% unlikely).

But god answered my 10 year long prayers and finally found an affordable gym that would help me out with fundraisers for me and my dad a raise to be able to pay for all-stars my senior year.

So what comes with this huge post is me basically saying, you really can't compare the two forms and say all rec cheerleaders are the same. They all try just as hard to win and have the same hopes and goals to achieve in cheer, except one is just more luxurious.
okay rant over :D

In my area, we don't have PW, but just various independent rec organizations. The organizations don't even come close, although some teams actually have decent skills beyond sideline cheers now. But, they have made a rule that rec cheerleaders can't be on an allstar team during rec season... which I just find ridiculous. It's really too bad because a lot of these girls don't cheer rec because they really want to, it's mostly because their friends (who don't really have cheer skills) are joining.

I have thought of that. I am only 14 but I guess an email couldn't kill anyone.
I would call PW (start regionally and then move to national if they don't do anything) and let them know whats going on. All inclusiveness is a hallmark of their organization.

I have thought of that. I am only 14 but I guess an email couldn't kill anyone.
Maybe you should bring it up to your mom or coach and ask them to help you out. A lot of girls might brag about try-outs when in actuality they were just reviewed for their skills to see where they should be placed in formations etc.

I remember this happened a lot when I was younger and I didn't realize what they were really doing until I became a coach.

:)

Do you have pop warner cheer people in your state that try to tell you how great pop warner cheerleading is. National Disney Champs. CODE RED .What could they be thinking ??? Its obvious they have not watched an allstar competition . In my eyes you can not compare the two , or is it just me...
I do agree that allstar cheerleading is much more demanding, professional, and difficult, but that doesnt give you the right to downgrade pop warner cheerleaders! I was one up until two years ago and we worked just as hard to win as we do now in allstars. Pop warner cheerleaders are just like allstar cheerleaders, they love to cheer! I dont think you should be insulting other cheerleaders who are just like you. Cheering is cheering. We do it because we love it and they do it because they love it too.

Back