Am I Too Fat To Tumble?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
My family likes to nag on and on about my size and they say if I don't lose weight I will never be able to tumble. Which really hurts because they all know my dream team is to be on Rockstar Cheer Rolling Stones. I can stunt pretty well, but I can't tumble. So my question is does size matter in tumbling?

My family likes to nag on and on about my size and they say if I don't lose weight I will never be able to tumble. Which really hurts because they all know my dream team is to be on Rockstar Cheer Rolling Stones. I can stunt pretty well, but I can't tumble. So my question is does size matter in tumbling?
Seriously... what does your faily know? Who are they to say. I wouldn't take any counsel from them. Talk to people that actually understand tumbling and they'll tell you (I highly doubt you're too fat to tumble).

Does size matter in tumbling? Hmmmm theoretically yes. But I've seen 200+ lb girls throw fulls and 110 lb 18 year olds not be able to throw a backhandspring. So I'd say it's situational.

From my own personal experiences, extra weight was a hinderance when it came to tumbling. I was not the skinniest of people in my cheer days but the added weight did not help. I felt like I had to work extra hard to just get where I was. Since then, I have gone down "6 pant sizes" (because who even knows with vanity sizing and I don't get on scales) and I feel like if I was at the same level of fitness as I was back then with my weight now, I could have had better tumbling. (But I will say that I thought I was a pretty good base and I think my weight helped me out in that area :) )

Does size matter in tumbling? Hmmmm theoretically yes. But I've seen 200+ lb girls throw fulls and 110 lb 18 year olds not be able to throw a backhandspring. So I'd say it's situational.

From my own personal experiences, extra weight was a hinderance when it came to tumbling. I was not the skinniest of people in my cheer days but the added weight did not help. I felt like I had to work extra hard to just get where I was. Since then, I have gone down "6 pant sizes" (because who even knows with vanity sizing and I don't get on scales) and I feel like if I was at the same level of fitness as I was back then with my weight now, I could have had better tumbling. (But I will say that I thought I was a pretty good base and I think my weight helped me out in that area :) )
This. Weight definitely matters, though I think some people get too paranoid about and worry that they're fatter than they actually are.

It's irritating that some people are so reluctant to acknowledge the role of weight in one's performance in cheer, as if making note of that make someone somehow superficial or judgmental for recognizing a fact rooted in physics.

If you are going by a number on the scale, you might be mistaken. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. So you can be extremely muscular but weigh a lot. Truth be told, you'll still have more weight to flip around, but it will be easier if you are in good shape.

If you have a little extra chub and are worried about it, then eat right and exercise. I know it sounds cliche, but just watching what you eat and running a few days a week can make a big difference. Even small things like drinking low-fat instead of vitamin d milk can have an effect.

If you really aren't fat but aren't as fit as you would like, then increase your strength training. You'll build muscle which I find makes it easier to control your body.

Overall, don't listen to your family, listen to your coaches- they'll have recommendations for you that can help you move forward in tumbling and become a better athlete.

No! I have seen very large girls who are boss tumblers. You can build up your strength if you find that tumbling is hard.

Weight isn't everything, but if you are older and just starting to learn, yes it can make it harder to learn. Doesn't mean you can't, but you will have to work harder to push more mass around (or over in this case). This will require more conditioning, more power and probably more time. Unless your family is made up of a bunch of tumbling coaches, talk to your coaches instead. They will be able to give you better advice for you. Even we can't really help with that as we don't know you

I am very surprised with everything going on in your life, such as you mom and her huge medical expenses, that your family has time to worry about your weight.

**please raise your hand if you're related to Jocelyn**
Someone paid for most of her medical expenses and we have no clue who.

Just work hard and eat a
If you are going by a number on the scale, you might be mistaken. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. So you can be extremely muscular but weigh a lot. Truth be told, you'll still have more weight to flip around, but it will be easier if you are in good shape.

If you have a little extra chub and are worried about it, then eat right and exercise. I know it sounds cliche, but just watching what you eat and running a few days a week can make a big difference. Even small things like drinking low-fat instead of vitamin d milk can have an effect.

If you really aren't fat but aren't as fit as you would like, then increase your strength training. You'll build muscle which I find makes it easier to control your body.

Overall, don't listen to your family, listen to your coaches- they'll have recommendations for you that can help you move forward in tumbling and become a better athlete.

This, this, this, all of this.

Ignore the family and just work hard at tumbling. Many hugs and love. You are perfect just as you are.

I asked my mom could I go to a gym that can teach me and I will want to got to. I posted on Facebook and asked if I could live with any that lives in Atlanta so I can be on Stingray allstars. A family member said she would love for me to come but I doubt my
Mom will let me.

I know and I don't want to leave my mommy
Then why would you post that on Facebook? Especially before you even ask your parents?!?!?
Sorry, I've given you a lot of leeway but it's time you get called out on the crazy stuff you're saying that you're doing. If you were my kid, your electronic privileges would be revoked by now. Asking on Facebook if you can move in with someone. SHM...

Then why would you post that on Facebook? Especially before you even ask your parents?!?!?
Sorry, I've given you a lot of leeway but it's time you get called out on the crazy stuff you're saying that you're doing. If you were my kid, your electronic privileges would be revoked by now. Asking on Facebook if you can move in with someone. SHM...
I did it as a joke and I asked my parents before I posted it. Also all of my friends in Facebook is a few school friends and family members.

Last edited:
Back