Ankle Brace For Flyers

Discussion in 'Skills' started by licatkelsi, Jul 30, 2015.

1. licatkelsi

licatkelsi I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    Hi! Im a flyer and Im in need of a good supportive ankle brace, but isn't bulky so that my back spot can still have a decent grip. Any help would be great thanks! :)

2. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Was your ankle injured? Does it roll? I'm curious as to why you need a brace... B/C the reason can play a factor in what type of brace you need... If one at all (braces tend to train weak ankles and wrists if not truly needed)

3. Ems

Ems I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Going off what the above poster said, it's not necessary to get a brace if you just want it to help stabilize yourself in the air. You can do ankle strengthening exercises or ask your backspot for a lower grip on your actual ankle.
    If you have an ankle injury and need a brace for that, as a backspot, I've never had too much of a problem with braces. As long as it's not a super slick material it's usually fine. I might stay away from braces with hard plating on the side and/or those that lace up because those can get pretty bulky. But in the case of injury, if your doctor recommends a bulkier one would be better, your backspot should be able to work with it!

ETA: clarification