All-Star Ankle Weights For Improving Flyer Stretching?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 23, 2015
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for any advice on using ankle weights to help flyers improve their stretches.

It seems a good idea in theory, and there are certainly lots of instructional videos that advocate doing it, but I've also read some people are opposed for the potential strain it puts on muscle groups that are still developing in younger kids.

Coaches, is this something you advocate? Parents, something you have experienced with your CPs?

The kids in question are between the ages of 10-13. Thanks in advance.

No! Stretching is to elongate the muscles not build or bulk them up. The only purpose would to be if the flyer is using to aid in the kicking motion. This will help in the fluidity.

If they are stretching properly and pushing themselves each and every time, ankle weights should not be required. Some kids need bands as they do not have the reach or can't fully complete the stretch (and that is fine). Slow and steady wins the race - stretch every day properly and the results will come.

There are many good videos on YT with the 4 or 5 stretches that show great technique and will be all that you need.

Thanks all. Yes, this is for kids with pretty good flexibility on the ground, but who need to perfect kicking to stretch, which is why I wondered about the ankle weights... Will give the bands a go.

Back