High School Annoyance

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 11, 2011
So, I decided that I am really tired of people who have all-star gyms just assuming that High School coaches are not "aware" of all-star cheer.

Long story short, a few of my team members contacted me about getting private tumbling lessons over the summer. The cheer gym we go to does accomodate high school and rec w/ "dead" floors as it is a HUGE chunk of their business w/ tumbling classes however, they are on a wait list for privates, which is completely understandable, especially in the summer.

I contacted another gym in our area to see if they could accomodate them and the request, the response was we are all-star so we don't have a dead floor. Um really, you think I am that stupid? I made it clear in the first email that I wasn't sure if they had the facility to accomodate, however, I was asking and trying to generate business their direction...

On to the next gym!

Would they not let high school cheerleaders do privates on the spring floor? I did some privates at an all star gym (where they have a hard floor) but we worked on the spring floor. I'm suprised they turned you away when they had the chance to make money!

My girls specifically asked for if they had a "dead floor". They really feel the difference. I think it isn't as much as turning away as the fact that I was treated like an "uneducated" high school coach. It was really disappointing that someone would act that way!

My girls specifically asked for if they had a "dead floor". They really feel the difference. I think it isn't as much as turning away as the fact that I was treated like an "uneducated" high school coach. It was really disappointing that someone would act that way!
Just remember at the end of the day, it's your money they will not be getting. Plus you will not be recommending them to anyone. I'd say you're winning!

I like that your girls asked for the dead floor. In my tumbling class we used to get the spring floor but now one of the all star teams has practice then so we get the non spring. I have no problem tumbling on either but this one girl says to me "I can't do anything on the non spring" and then goes and faceplates a round off back hand tuck. Then she goes and spend the entire class working on layouts and attempting fulls on the tumble track. Uhhh, excuse me sweetie but you compete on a dead floor why don't you start tumbling on it so you can actually land? So frustrating.

Uhhh, excuse me sweetie but you compete on a dead floor why don't you start tumbling on it so you can actually land? So frustrating.

One of the reasons my coach had us stop going to a gym for tumbling! My former teammates were using the spring floor too much. If anyone wants to be on a college team or a HS competition team, they definitely need to get on dead mats or even gym floor. You're not gonna have springs at games or Nationals!

It's good that your girls asked for the non-spring floor! I cheer for both all-star and competition for highschool and you can really tell the difference! Have you tried getting a coach to come to your schools gym and do a class with them?

We have tumbling at the gym w/ the dead floor every week for 2 hours and it is wonderful, just over the summer, some girls asked for privates on dead floor to work on their skills... Doing it at school would be OK depending on the time of day, however, I would have to be there and I think the point of privates is to work with someone else and not have the same people barking orders at you all the time and to get a different perspective. I was just more or less trying to prove a point that all-star gyms at times treat high school coaches as they are clueless. Makes me mad!

Back