OT Any Tumblr Users?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
So as I've said before, I am very technology challenged... I am trying to set up my blog so that on my side bar there are links to all my recipes in that category (such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc) so that people don't have to scroll through pages upon pages of my blog to find stuff. I googled how to do it, and tried numerous ways, but none seemed to work. Does anyone think they can help me out? Thanks!

peace, love, happy cheering

showstopper

So as I've said before, I am very technology challenged... I am trying to set up my blog so that on my side bar there are links to all my recipes in that category (such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc) so that people don't have to scroll through pages upon pages of my blog to find stuff. I googled how to do it, and tried numerous ways, but none seemed to work. Does anyone think they can help me out? Thanks!

peace, love, happy cheering

showstopper

Yes, this is the way I know how which is pretty easy:

When you make your posts and you create tags, your tags act like little organizers to help organize your posts. Let's take your "Lunches" tag for example - So if I went to my internet browser and typed "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/lunches" your blog would pop up with all of your posts you tagged as "lunches". If you wanted to make a link for followers that directed them to just that lunches page, you would just create a link using the url i typed out above. Does this make sense?

So if you wanted to create a page that liste all of your recipes, just tag your posts with "recipe" or something and link to "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/recipe" and they should see all of your recipe posts.

Btw, I love following your blog, you have so many cool recipes! And I love the quote you reblogged today about biting off more than you can chew. I have that on my tagged/quotes page! It's one of my favorites! :)

Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions. It took a bit to figure out at first for me too.

Last edited:
Yes, this is the way I know how which is pretty easy:

When you make your posts and you create tags, your tags act like little organizers to help organize your posts. Let's take your "Lunches" tag for example - So if I went to my internet browser and typed "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/lunches" your blog would pop up with all of your posts you tagged as "lunches". If you wanted to make a link for followers that directed them to just that lunches page, you would just create a link using the url i typed out above. Does this make sense?

So if you wanted to create a page that liste all of your recipes, just tag your posts with "recipe" or something and link to "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/recipe" and they should see all of your recipe posts.

Btw, I love following your blog, you have so many cool recipes! And I love the quote you reblogged today about biting off more than you can chew. I have that on my tagged/quotes page! It's one of my favorites! :)

Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions. It took a bit to figure out at first for me too.

I think that makes sense. So I would just use the link "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/recipe" when I go to customize my page and add a page? When I add the page, do I click standard layout or redirect? and do I show link to page or keep that hidden? Those were things that had varying directions and I wonder if that's why it's not working

and I'm glad you like my blog! I'm glad I finally decided to just go for it because I've had so much positive feedback :)

I think that makes sense. So I would just use the link "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/recipe" when I go to customize my page and add a page? When I add the page, do I click standard layout or redirect? and do I show link to page or keep that hidden? Those were things that had varying directions and I wonder if that's why it's not working

and I'm glad you like my blog! I'm glad I finally decided to just go for it because I've had so much positive feedback :)

Hmmm... ok I think this is what you are trying to do:

If I am understanding correctly, you have a link in your sidebar called Recipes, and when I click it, it brings me to a page you created called "Recipes". There, I see you listed abunch of things you want to make into links (Breakfast, Lunches, Dinners, etc) that will direct you to your tagged posts. Am I correct so far?

Using the Lunch link again, your link redirects me to "https://chrissywojo.tumblr.com/Lunches" but there isn't anything there (probably because you don't have anything there yet or haven't set anything up.) If you change the link to "https://chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/lunches" all of your lunch recipe posts will come up. And when you create new posts that have the tag "lunches" they will show up too.

This way might be easier for you and less confusing for others:

1. When you go to "Edit Theme" section and it pulls up that customize side panel, scroll all the way down to the "Pages" Section and add a new page.
2. When the "new page" thing comes up, go to the top area, it should say "Standard Layout".
3. Click that and select "Redirect". The page layout stuff should change.
4. Next to the "Redirect" there should be a box that says "Show a link to this page." it should be greyed out. Click it to "un-grey" it.
5. Where it now says "My Awesome Page" type in the new name of your page. So if this is your Lunch recipes page, type "Lunch Recipes".
6. The next box down should say "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/url". get rid of "URL" and put "lunches" (This is your new page that will direct to the tagged page I should you in the previous post.)
7. The next box should say "Redirect to" - type in "tagged/lunches". (This is where you tell it to redirect aka what tagged page you want.)
IMPORTANT: Ignore everything happening on the left side of your screen. It wont preview the page correctly.
8. Click Save

Your sidebar should now have "Lunch Recipes" as a link and when you click it, it will redirect to your "lunches" tag page.

Sorry if this is confusing. I think that way might work a little better for you.

I tested it out using your theme on my tumblr if you want to see what the finished product looks like: awfullybigadventureee.tumblr.com

Instead of "Recipe" pages I have "Quotes" and "About Me" as an example. (Im working on redoing my tumblr, my theme was 3 years old and didnt work anymore.)

Hmmm... ok I think this is what you are trying to do:

If I am understanding correctly, you have a link in your sidebar called Recipes, and when I click it, it brings me to a page you created called "Recipes". There, I see you listed abunch of things you want to make into links (Breakfast, Lunches, Dinners, etc) that will direct you to your tagged posts. Am I correct so far?

Using the Lunch link again, your link redirects me to "https://chrissywojo.tumblr.com/Lunches" but there isn't anything there (probably because you don't have anything there yet or haven't set anything up.) If you change the link to "https://chrissywojo.tumblr.com/tagged/lunches" all of your lunch recipe posts will come up. And when you create new posts that have the tag "lunches" they will show up too.

This way might be easier for you and less confusing for others:

1. When you go to "Edit Theme" section and it pulls up that customize side panel, scroll all the way down to the "Pages" Section and add a new page.
2. When the "new page" thing comes up, go to the top area, it should say "Standard Layout".
3. Click that and select "Redirect". The page layout stuff should change.
4. Next to the "Redirect" there should be a box that says "Show a link to this page." it should be greyed out. Click it to "un-grey" it.
5. Where it now says "My Awesome Page" type in the new name of your page. So if this is your Lunch recipes page, type "Lunch Recipes".
6. The next box down should say "chrissywojo.tumblr.com/url". get rid of "URL" and put "lunches" (This is your new page that will direct to the tagged page I should you in the previous post.)
7. The next box should say "Redirect to" - type in "tagged/lunches". (This is where you tell it to redirect aka what tagged page you want.)
IMPORTANT: Ignore everything happening on the left side of your screen. It wont preview the page correctly.
8. Click Save

Your sidebar should now have "Lunch Recipes" as a link and when you click it, it will redirect to your "lunches" tag page.

Sorry if this is confusing. I think that way might work a little better for you.

I tested it out using your theme on my tumblr if you want to see what the finished product looks like: awfullybigadventureee.tumblr.com

Instead of "Recipe" pages I have "Quotes" and "About Me" as an example. (Im working on redoing my tumblr, my theme was 3 years old and didnt work anymore.)

yes!!! this is exactly what I wanted to do! I just didn't know how to explain it lol thank you, thank you! I just thought that might be the easiest way to corral recipes by some sort of category so people don't have to scroll all the way through my blog to find posts. Eventually, if I can figure it out, I would like to have hyperlinks to each individual recipe if possible. at that point I might progress to a different blog than tumblr. We shall see how it goes and how high the demand is. Thanks so much for all the help, you're a life saver!

yes!!! this is exactly what I wanted to do! I just didn't know how to explain it lol thank you, thank you! I just thought that might be the easiest way to corral recipes by some sort of category so people don't have to scroll all the way through my blog to find posts. Eventually, if I can figure it out, I would like to have hyperlinks to each individual recipe if possible. at that point I might progress to a different blog than tumblr. We shall see how it goes and how high the demand is. Thanks so much for all the help, you're a life saver!

Lol no problem! Your sidebar looks bangin' now and super easy to navigate! I'll def be looking forward to some more of your recipes, especially those dessert ones since it's going to start getting colder soon and all I want to eat during that time is dessert after dessert after dessert :p

Keeping track of each recipe is probably going to be a bit tricky with tumblr but it's manageable. That's probably going to be the toughest part. But tumblr is one of the best sites for getting people to see things, rather than a blog through WordPress or something, because it's much easier to share posts and people do it more frequently. And it's super simple to add tags/types of recipes (like gluten-free, vegan, paleo, etc). For every pro there is a con, right? lol.

Good luck on your blog! :)

hey ya'll!!

So as great as tumblr was, I am going to try and move domains for my blog. I have a feeling there will be alot of double posting while I figure out how to use my new one, but I'll leave the link below. This one will have alot more workouts too rather than just recipes, and my journey, tips, and tricks for training for a marathon :) Not sure how many of you follow me, so I figured I would most it just in case!

A Walk in my Wonderland

Back