All-Star Anyone Else With Low Ambitions For Their Cp's Cheer Career?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
Given her age (already a teenager) and skill level, CP will almost certainly remain in a lower level for the duration of her career. A worlds team and a worlds gym is not in her future. #1 We can't afford it and #2, neither our family nor cp would be willing to make the financial and time sacrifices necessary for a worlds team.

We like the local comps and are happy only traveling a few times a season out of state. CP enjoys and takes pride in winning but its not the only thing that matters to her. She likes the exercise, teamwork and "showmanship" of it all.

As a parent my goal is to have cp in a gym where I feel that she is safe, treated fairly, and getting appropriate training. As long as I know that the athletes are set up for success, what they do on the floor is on them.

Who else is in the same position? Or is being/staying on a worlds team very important and the ultimate goal for most people on the board?

@alpaca
Speaking as an adult cheerleader, who started in her late teen's (19), i can dream about being on the all-girl/coed team on the other side of the country.
But reality is,that i don't, as i thoroughly enjoy my current gym, and realistically my tumbling simply isn't good enough.I'll be over the moon happy if i ever get to bhs's. Stunting comes much more easily to me. Like your daughter i enjoy the team aspect, the fact that everyone is needed and involved.
My parents are superficially supportive, meaning they enjoy me enjoying the sport and getting better, but it is and always has been MY sport. They worry over practicing safely and me being happy within the team.

That would be me. It's taken 6 years for CP to get to level 3. It isn't for lack of work or effort. She just isn't a natural tumbler. I feel that it's ok, as long as she is working and enjoying herself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me. CP has cheered for years at a rec level in a system that deemphasized tumbling. She's improving now that she's at a cheer gym, but she's not one of those kids who goes from not even having a cartwheel to having tucks and layouts in a year. She's a kid who came into a cheer gym with only a cartwheel and in a year of tumbling classes now has great cartwheels, an inconsistent back kickover and struggles to stand up from her front limber. She's at a World's gym, but fortunately, they also have a lot of Junior 1/2 level kids, so she's in good company. I figure she's the kid that Senior 4.2 was made for. I can't see her cheering in college.

Hmmm....interesting question. My cp started very young, and currently has r5 skills. She is on a r5 team this upcoming year. After this year, she'll have 3 more cheer years until college. The way things are going with her and our gym's expectations....I highly doubt she'll make a Worlds team next year (it's possible...but she isn't doubling yet & I just don't think it would be something our gym would do unless she had ALL the tumbling. They are really serious about that.) So basically...its on her. If she is willing to put in the work...I think it is possible for her last 2 years. Our family values hard work and goal setting so we will support her emotionally & finacially (privates, etc) if she determines she wants to. She is talented but slightly lazy so who knows? ;)
As for me, I truly and honestly do not care if she ever makes a Worlds team. We had a dream season last year....traveled our butts off & cp checked off 3 enormous competition goals. I enjoy the parents and watching cp no matter what team she is on. It's her sport, not mine.

I have two CP's, different goals for each. My oldest CP did it for exercise, friendship, fun, and stress relief. She did not care about going to Worlds. In fact she prefers less pressure. My youngest CP is extremely competitive, loves challenges, thrives off pressure, and loves Worlds. She hopes to Cheer in College. They couldn't be more different. I love and am very proud of both of them.

Tbh @alpaca, I disagree with you stating that you have low ambition for your daughter in cheer...After reading your post, it appears that you are allowing your daughter to dictate and set up her own goals... I must admit, I was one of those parents that wanted my daughter to only reach for a Worlds team and I was wrong for this, I bought into the idea that all AS cheerleaders must be lvl5 or bust... Wrong!!!
Matter of fact,
Majority of the cheer world falls within lvl 1-3 and should be praised for working hard, persistence and accomplishing their own goals... I now have a real appreciation for the Summit competition because this event highlights the majority instead of the minority in cheerleading...

Me. CP has cheered for years at a rec level in a system that deemphasized tumbling. She's improving now that she's at a cheer gym, but she's not one of those kids who goes from not even having a cartwheel to having tucks and layouts in a year. She's a kid who came into a cheer gym with only a cartwheel and in a year of tumbling classes now has great cartwheels, an inconsistent back kickover and struggles to stand up from her front limber. She's at a World's gym, but fortunately, they also have a lot of Junior 1/2 level kids, so she's in good company. I figure she's the kid that Senior 4.2 was made for. I can't see her cheering in college.
If she goes to a college that has a more casual team she might fit right in if she still has the desire to cheer. If she has 4.2 skills. My college cheer team has the skill level of a 4.2 team overall not too many tumblers.

If she goes to a college that has a more casual team she might fit right in if she still has the desire to cheer. If she has 4.2 skills. My college cheer team has the skill level of a 4.2 team overall not too many tumblers.

I agree. Many smaller colleges/universities and private ones have that sort of skill set. More of a club type team.

I don't know how to respond to this honestly! If low ambition means I am cool with never being on a Worlds Team, then sure. But, I find if you want a successful (stable staff, stable teams, happy people, reasonable amount of wins etc) gym it is hard to be low commitment and to be so committed I think is rather ambitious! My cp's also have different abilities and will achieve different outcomes even with similar efforts....

Tbh @alpaca, I disagree with you stating that you have low ambition for your daughter in cheer...After reading your post, it appears that you are allowing your daughter to dictate and set up her own goals... I must admit, I was one of those parents that wanted my daughter to only reach for a Worlds team and I was wrong for this, I bought into the idea that all AS cheerleaders must be lvl5 or bust... Wrong!!!
Matter of fact,
Majority of the cheer world falls within lvl 1-3 and should be praised for working hard, persistence and accomplishing their own goals... I now have a real appreciation for the Summit competition because this event highlights the majority instead of the minority in cheerleading...

Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said :"who else is OK with their cp staying a level 1-4 for their entire career"

I don't know how to respond to this honestly! If low ambition means I am cool with never being on a Worlds Team, then sure. But, I find if you want a successful (stable staff, stable teams, happy people, reasonable amount of wins etc) gym it is hard to be low commitment and to be so committed I think is rather ambitious! My cp's also have different abilities and will achieve different outcomes even with similar efforts....

Poor choice of words in the title on my part. I did not mean to imply low ambition = low commitment. Sometimes I feel like people on the boards are at or striving for the Harvard, Princeton, Yale etc of cheer. And that's great for them, while we are A-OK with success at the less prestigious levels.

TBH the boards are slow and I was just trying to get some conversation started :)

I wouldn't say you have low ambitions but maybe lower expectations. It is ok to be a lower level athlete if your daughter is happy.

Many kids in our area start HS cheer if they have not progressed past level 3 b/c the stunt ability tends to be greater with less of a focus on tumbling. This decision isn't for all.

It takes much longer for most high school aged athletes to progress. It's just the nature of tumbling. When she is no longer happy, then it is time to make a change. :)

I have been in this cheer game since CP was 5 she is now 18. After year 2 of AS, I started to understand and learn how this game worked. When she started gaining tumble skills. My kids was the girl who got her tuck before she got her BHS (weird i know). Her goal was to gain what she needed to make a worlds team. She had level 5 basing like a champ. Just needed to get her tumbling together. She was on her way, privates, tumble classes, had just started working her full 4 seasons ago. Between injuries, 2 concussion, hip issues, broken wrist. years of double teaming started to catch up with her (overuse injuries) her body started to wear down. I suggested letting cheer go and find something else she could do. She wanted to continue and was OK with not going to Worlds. She loved performing, cheer-cations and being on a team with her friends, etc. I was OK too as I wouldn't have to endure the cost that goes with the expense of Worlds.:)

The opportunity came for her to tryout for a Worlds dance team. Surprise, her team earned a bid to worlds. Although, she didn't get to worlds through cheer as she had hoped but he did get to compete at Dance Worlds and she was ecstatic! Watching her excitement and happiness having that Worlds experience was priceless!

Everyone cannot/will not make a Worlds cheer team. Just letting kids enjoy what they do would save a lot of parents a lot of tears and meltdowns about worlds. Your CP is happy where she is and that is all that really matters!

Poor choice of words in the title on my part. I did not mean to imply low ambition = low commitment. Sometimes I feel like people on the boards are at or striving for the Harvard, Princeton, Yale etc of cheer. And that's great for them, while we are A-OK with success at the less prestigious levels.

TBH the boards are slow and I was just trying to get some conversation started :)
I love the conversation, that is why I am here :)

I think I understand your intention, and I think it is wonderful when parents accept the child/athlete they have. That said, I will put it out there that I concede one issue with all-star cheer is the expense and time involved. I can understand how some might feel that if their child is not progressing or reached their potential perhaps their time and money is better used elsewhere or on another pastime that can be pursued throughout adulthood. I am not saying I feel that way, but I get it.

Back