College Are College Cheerleading Tryouts Political?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2013
Ok - this may be a bit controversial, but we are seeing very experienced game cheerleaders who also have level 5 tumbling skills passed over at college auditions for girls who appear a lot less qualified. Does anyone know what may be going on here? Is being from out of state make one an outsider? Are the girls who make the squad already known by the coaches? These are schools that don't compete and are primarily located in the south - don't know if that makes a difference.

Are you referring to all cheerleader positions or specifically flyers on Co Ed teams ?

A lot of times it might be actual cheerleading skills. Level 5 tumbling isn't usually all you need to make a college squad, which includes actual crowd leading and presentation.

College teams are looking for WELL-ROUNDED athletes.

Tumbling is just one component of being a well-rounded cheerleader.

Tumbling is also less of a must have when you're dealing with non-competitive programs. Ex: An arabian to whip whip double is really not a huge "omg we NEED her" thing if the school is game cheer focused.

Game day programs are looking for girls who can really lead the crowd through their skills, too. Ex: ball up 360 is not a must as it has little to do with leading the crowd. A clean full up stretch will suffice best as it allows for effective leadership of the crowd.

I've seen girls get passed over because they were BEASTS with tumbling and really impressive in the stunting department, but were not as effective in leading the crowd.

Gameday cheer programs also favor those who are CLEAN on lower-level skills over those who have difficulty but less than desirable execution. A clean 3 to a layout is more favorable than a questionable double.

Other factors: Attitude and coachability. Kids with solid level 3 skills who are coachable and more willing to learn have the edge over the "I am awesome and everyone loves me" girl with L5 tumbling.

These are definitely some things to reflect upon in relation to your daughter's tryouts.

I think you answered your own question. If these are schools that don't compete, the level 5 skills don't matter. A standing back and toss lib with killer game skills will make it every time over the girl with a whip double who has never cheered sideline and looks awkward holding a sign.

Above someone mentioned people looking awkward holding signs...Sometimes it's real easy to pick the girl on the team who only did allstar because some of them aren't used to or comfortable using signs/poms. Not a diss at allstar or anything but I think sometimes people forget that for college you not only need certain skills but it takes a different type of attitude in front of crowd. Colleges don't look for some one doing fierce facials at a football or basketball game. They are going to want that nice happy smile, tight motions and some one who can engage with the crowd.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Agreeing with everything @oncecoolcoachnowmom and @GForce said. In non-competitive schools it's all about the game day experience that a cheerleader needs to contribute to. Can you hold a smile on your face for 2 hours? Can you stunt with a sign and not look like you're uncomfortable? Do you have sharp motions? Can you project from your diaphragm and not "sing" cheers?

My school was in the north and we had both worlds. A lot of girls were chosen for tumbling/stunting skills because they were slotted to make the competition team. Some of the strictly game-day girls had come from non-competitive high schools and didn't tumble at all, but they were bubbly, charismatic cheerleaders with a great game day presence.

Ok - this may be a bit controversial, but we are seeing very experienced game cheerleaders who also have level 5 tumbling skills passed over at college auditions for girls who appear a lot less qualified. Does anyone know what may be going on here? Is being from out of state make one an outsider? Are the girls who make the squad already known by the coaches? These are schools that don't compete and are primarily located in the south - don't know if that makes a difference.
Depends on the school, but my initial answer is yes. I'm sure not all, but many are.

When it comes to tryouts, one must remember to, above all else, be flexible!! Not bendy flexible, just be flexible in what the coach asks what you can do, i.e. fly, back, base, tumble. You are trying out to be on the team and your coach will need to see that they can use you in a variety of positions. You may have always been a flyer, but now the team is oversaturated with flyers, so is she willing to try basing in some stunts because we would like to have her if she's willing to be flexible about her role on the team.
Also, keep in mind that some programs cut veterans because they haven't performed as expected for the program, so once you make the team, it's not a guarantee you will always make the team in next year's tryouts. Consider every practice and every game as a potential tryout; perform your best at all times.
Above all else, social media could potentially be a negative point at tryouts if you post all of your adventures and drama for all to see. The coaches and/or captains can have access to this info also and the last thing they want to see is how a potentially new squad member acts and posts their encounters on social media and how this could affect their spirit program.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree with all of the above, however I will add something I noticed with my daughter and other cheerleaders that have tried out and not made the team; you may come to your own conclusion....and I am speaking about multi HS National champs cheerleaders, so they do have the experience of "cheering and crowd leading"
Looks, Looks and more looks. Be it for a competitive squad or not, (and I think it is unfortunate) but looks play a very big part in your tryouts. Many college sports are televised and therefore looks play a very big roll in making the squad or not. When my daughter was trying out I thought being modest and not wear a ton of makeup would be helpful, and I was so wrong, the more makeup the better. Her skill got her to the final cut, but in the end she was missing the weave down her back and the professional cheerlearer/dancer (Dallas Cowboys) makeup.

I agree with all of the above, however I will add something I noticed with my daughter and other cheerleaders that have tried out and not made the team; you may come to your own conclusion....and I am speaking about multi HS National champs cheerleaders, so they do have the experience of "cheering and crowd leading"
Looks, Looks and more looks. Be it for a competitive squad or not, (and I think it is unfortunate) but looks play a very big part in your tryouts. Many college sports are televised and therefore looks play a very big roll in making the squad or not. When my daughter was trying out I thought being modest and not wear a ton of makeup would be helpful, and I was so wrong, the more makeup the better. Her skill got her to the final cut, but in the end she was missing the weave down her back and the professional cheerlearer/dancer (Dallas Cowboys) makeup.

Especially at some of the bigger sports schools, this is sadly true. The school wants pretty faces on the sidelines and on TV.

My oldest CP just tried out and made the squad of a nationally ranked team in the area. She is young (won't turn 18 till Sept.) and looks it. So second day of tryouts she went in looking more like college game day rather than HS game day. Did it make a difference? I don't know but she felt more confident looking like she belonged there. And BTW, I still can't beleive she is on the team-not that I had doubt on her skills, but that her dream came true.

Back