College Are College Cheerleading Tryouts Political?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My oldest CP just tried out and made the squad of a nationally ranked team in the area. She is young (won't turn 18 till Sept.) and looks it. So second day of tryouts she went in looking more like college game day rather than HS game day. Did it make a difference? I don't know but she felt more confident looking like she belonged there. And BTW, I still can't beleive she is on the team-not that I had doubt on her skills, but that her dream came true.

Congrats!! My CP was only 17 when she went away to college and to cheer and she is doing great!! No one believed(s) she is so young but she made that transition without any issues. She is fortunate (???) enough that she looks older than she is so she fits in well with her teammates and classmates well.
Good luck to her (and to you, too) in this new step and adventure in her life. And I'm sure her confidence was a remarkable boost in helping her achieve her dream.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm preparing to try for a big name that is big game day and comp squads. My skills are not below level but not as strong as other girls (a lot of AS cheerleaders). I cheered game day for four years for a football team that is traditional winless and a basketball team that is a state contender and sells out games. I hope and pray that the skill of game day and just plain skill helps me.

When it comes to tryouts, one must remember to, above all else, be flexible!! Not bendy flexible, just be flexible in what the coach asks what you can do, i.e. fly, back, base, tumble. You are trying out to be on the team and your coach will need to see that they can use you in a variety of positions. You may have always been a flyer, but now the team is oversaturated with flyers, so is she willing to try basing in some stunts because we would like to have her if she's willing to be flexible about her role on the team.

Also, keep in mind that some programs cut veterans because they haven't performed as expected for the program, so once you make the team, it's not a guarantee you will always make the team in next year's tryouts. Consider every practice and every game as a potential tryout; perform your best at all times.

Above all else, social media could potentially be a negative point at tryouts if you post all of your adventures and drama for all to see. The coaches and/or captains can have access to this info also and the last thing they want to see is how a potentially new squad member acts and posts their encounters on social media and how this could affect their spirit program.

Yes.

I always tell kids, you are trying out for your program EVERY DAY. New talent coming in is hungrier for it and has been working hard. Never give coaches a reason to say or think that they made a mistake in taking you! Your spot on a team is not permanent.

YES to social media. You may think it doesn't matter but in regards to very well-known teams, they really don't want a PR nightmare on their squad. Same for D1A programs with high-profile sports teams. Image is important. No coach wants to wake up to "Kentucky cheerleader posts topless drunken photos to Instagram." Ever. EVER. Be mindful of that.

Congrats NCCheerMama, my daughter also made her Division I college team and is thrilled. I just felt like in some places the process wasn't entirely transparent. Thanks all for your interest and advice.
Thank you! My husband was most excited about not having to pay for everything like we do in all-stars! Ha Ha! Now that Worlds is over my CP has to get going on her workout program. Talked to her Coach and he said she has got to get used to working out in the heat and getting acclimated-they get to the stadium at 2 for 5 pm games and it is HOT down here till October!

Especially at some of the bigger sports schools, this is sadly true. The school wants pretty faces on the sidelines and on TV.
That is so insulting... we're human beings, not marketing tools. Of course, they look at us and all they can see are dollars.

That is so insulting... we're human beings, not marketing tools. Of course, they look at us and all they can see are dollars.

All they see are dollar signs yet we don't ever see that money...it just goes back into football or basketball. I get they are the "premier" sports but still, it drives me absolutely crazy.

Definitely worried about the "looking older" aspect. I'm 4'11 and I still have braces (which come off in 3 months) and I look like I'm in 8th grade so I definitely don't look like a "college cheerleader" :(

Colleges look for well rounded cheerleaders. You've really got to be able to stunt, tumbling is important but stunting is what college cheerleaders mainly do at games. The primary focus of most collegiate cheerleading squads is to support the other athletic teams at the games so stunting and game are really important. I've seen many girls that were amazing all-star cheerleaders not make their college squad because they weren't as strong in stunts.

Back