All-Star Are You A Well-rounded Cheerleader?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Level5Mom

Best Parent
Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2010
One of the things that Stingrays stress is becoming a well-rounded cheerleader. They like to see kids excel at ALL areas of the scoresheet, and often times encourage kids to spend much more time and effort on bringing up the bottom end of their personal scoresheet. For instance, if a child has a nice full but not-so-great jumps yet, the coaches will ask them to spend time working their jumps before they allow them to move on to a specialty pass, or a standing to full. With try-outs just a few months away, think about how you personally (or your child) score in each category of the scoresheet. Do you spend more time on the lower-scoring areas to become more well-rounded, or do you spend more time on the things you enjoy? An athlete is very valuable to a coach when they can score in the top ranges on all categories!!

Take the following categories, and rank them for yourself (or your child) from highest score to lowest score. I've ranked my cp for you. What are you doing about the low end categories to get better?

Standing tumbling
Running tumbling
Stunts (includes pyramid)
Jumps
Baskets
Motion technique
Showmanship
Dance ability

To increase her lowest scores, she has committed to performing at practice at all times (and it has helped a ton). For motions she has practiced "snapping" her motions from one to the next at all times (doesn't always happen). For baskets she worked with her stunt coaches to get a new basket (toe touch double down). For dance, I'm lost....either you have it or you blend in lol.

What does your ranking look like? What are you doing about?

Standing Tumbling & Jumps are what I need to work on.
Barely have my standing back, can't do two to a back, or anything,
but I have a ROBHS full.? haha.

Motion technique
Dance ability
Showmanship
Baskets
Running tumbling
Standing tumbling
Jumps

That's for me. I work on my jumps and do drills for them at home a few times a week, and I've seen improvement. I have tumbling requirements for my level, it's just not something I'm great at. However, I do have good motions, I'm always point for the cheer. Stunts are in the middle,. I side base, and I'm not the best, but definitely not the worst either.

You know what has helped my cp a ton? Individual competitions. The extra time she spends working on her motions and dance and getting critiqued has really helped her find her strengths in a way you don't get in a big team or tumbling practice.

And it's easy for me to perform your exercise. :)

Running tumbling
Standing tumbling
Dance ability
Showmanship
Motion technique
Jumps
Baskets

Dance ability
showmanship
stunts
motions
jumps
standing tumbling
running tumbling

well, i just dont have any tumbling at all. so i really feel like a burden to my team! but im trying to get it back, im just having a problem with my back. so im not really sure how to fix that. is easy enough for them to say just dont twist! but its not that easy to stop it from happening haha

hmmm....

STRONG: Stunts/Baskets/Dance/Motions/Showmanship
DECENT: Jumps
MEDIOCRE: Running Tumbling
TRAGIC: Standing Tumbling

Stunts
Dance
Jumps
Baskets
Showmanship
Standing Tumbling
Running Tumbling

I reealllyyy need to work on my tumbing, but I thinking im going to woodward in summer, so hopefully that and some extra practice should help :)

strong- stunts, baskets, motions
decent- running tumbling, jumps
needs work- standing tumbling

I have a running full, but yet have a problem throwing standing 2 to a tuck. I hate standing tumbling.

Let's see:

Emileigh:

Overall Cheer IQ (She has been complimented by so many coaches on her ability to pick up a routine so quickly)
Running Tumbling
Standing Tumbling
Stunts/Pyramid
Motions
Showmanship
Dance
Baskets
Jumps

Andrea:

Stunts/Pyramid
Running Tumbling
Showmanship
Standing Tumbling
Dance
Baskets
Motions
Jumps

I leave it up to their coaches to work their weaknesses. I figure if they want them to look better, they will work it at the gym or give them a homework assignment to do it at home. That's what I do with my athletes.

Stunts/Pyramid
Motions
Baskets
Running Tumbling
Jumps
Showmanship
Dance
Standing Tumbling

Basically all i work at privates is standing tumbling. and someone either can dance or cant dance. i cant dance.

I can fly, base, and back... at the same time. Does that count???
cool.png

Running tumbling
Standing tumbling
Baskets
Dance Ability&&Jumps
Motion technique
Showmanship

1.) Showmanship
2.) Dance ability (I'm that crazy girl doing switch leaps and 4 pirouttes!)
3.) Baskets
4.) Stunts (includes pyramid)
5.) Standing tumbling (What I can do -which is minimal- is done well,)
6.) Motion technique
7.) Jumps
8.) Running tumbling (Don't. Even. Bother.)

Motion technique
Showmanship
Running tumbling
Dance ability
Baskets
Standing tumbling
Jumps

strong: stunts, pyramid and baskets
ok: motions,dance and showmanship
needs work: jumps, standing and running tumbling

Back