Arizona High School/ Allstar Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Wow, and here on the east coast, HS prefer Allstar kids. Is there a favor of HS vs allstar in Arizona because of this rule?
Almost all Michigan HS cheer teams HATE all-star kids... it's kind of ridiculous. Unless the coach of HS is/was an all-star coach, they usually don't like the all-star kids as much..

Wow, and here on the east coast, HS prefer Allstar kids. Is there a favor of HS vs allstar in Arizona because of this rule?
No it's more the other way around. After watching the first weekend of AIA competitions the rules have hurt HS cheer. It was pretty scary to watch just about every team had stunts fall and or pretty major tumbling issues (girls falling on their heads in back tucks). I personally believe that there are ways around all of their objections IE: over training, schedule conflicts etc. It just takes working together to make it happen.

I had a boy on my high school team who skipped a game to go to his all-star practice and apparently it's against mpa (Maine principles association) rules that you can't skip a high school event for another sport outside of school. I think it's dumb.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I just heard that Arizona AIA is going to allow kids to do HS an Allstars. I hope this is true I guess we'll see, but if it is it's going to make a lot of happy people in AZ

In Michigan I think it's any competitive sport. However, I am not positive. I don't see this changing anytime soon. We also had a HS squad lose a competition because they had a boy on the squad :( sad and backward.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
I know that in Michigan its the same case with baseball. My brother plays both varsity ball and club ball, but he is not allowed to participate on the varsity team untill his travel season is over. So I think it's all competitive sports! And I heard about the team with the boy! So heartbreaking for him. I'm pretty sure it's legal to have a boy as long as it's not district/regional/or state too but idk hahah

Almost all Michigan HS cheer teams HATE all-star kids... it's kind of ridiculous. Unless the coach of HS is/was an all-star coach, they usually don't like the all-star kids as much..
I cheered high school and never heard of a rivalry between MI high schools and all star! A girl on my team was thinking about doing a level 6 team and my coach supported her. Maybe it's because I'm from an area where there's no gyms nearby.

Our state doesn't have this rule, but it does for things it considers to be an actual sport. For example MS/HS basketball kids can't play AAU or other basketball leagues during their school season. Baseball kids can play fall ball or on a travel team, but it can't overlap school season. Same for volleyball, soccer, etc. There are also rules set in place that prevents a HS coach and kids from staying together to play club. That is more of a fairness and keeping a level playing field rule. Around here certain coaches would form travel baseball teams around age 8, and would grow those kids up all the way to high school, where conveniently they were the same coaches. That created huge issues of a team that was raised together for years and trained non-stop, going against a typical high school team where they get what they get and work with them each year. Cheer isn't a sport, so we don't have those restrictions, but I wonder if the reasoning behind it is the same. Allstars and HS don't work the same way that other schools do, but I wonder if the perception is the same from those who know nothing about it?

This is interesting to me because I was told that you can't cheer (or they won't be interested in you) in college if you don't have 2 years of HS cheer. I'm not sure where this particular parent got their info, but I would think college teams would want kids that had allstar experience over HS because of the level of skill, discipline, etc. Has anyone ever heard of a college requiring a certain number of years of HS cheer?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Let me clarify some of the Michigan questions. I've have a daughter that did prior all star and her schools team is competitive, they are actually at Regionals today. I also have 2 other cp's in all star. HS coaches love all star cp's! Tumbling skills are generally stronger. There is just a huge difference with HS judging and All Star judging. It's not easy to transition to HS, for ex...my cp is not used to "learning cheers" and using them on the floor @ the same time as doing other things. She's used to "counts". I never knew this until just 2 weeks ago and it came from an all star parent who is also involved with judging and training both types. The judging is much harder for HS than All Star. Yes, colleges generally like you to have at least one year of HS a cheer.

This is interesting to me because I was told that you can't cheer (or they won't be interested in you) in college if you don't have 2 years of HS cheer. I'm not sure where this particular parent got their info, but I would think college teams would want kids that had allstar experience over HS because of the level of skill, discipline, etc. Has anyone ever heard of a college requiring a certain number of years of HS cheer?

I replied to your post below. Also I'm looking at it from both sides. Actually I don't think it's a matter of more discipline, just different. Ex...tightness for HS is huge. Both types of cheer are so unique in their own way. Competitive HS cheer is definitely not what I expected and I have much respect for these teams. I just get confused because the scoring , and judging is different. But most colleges want you to have a minimum of 1 year of HS Competitive cheer in order to make their teams and or to qualify for $$$$!!!!!

Of course this can differ from place to place, however generally speaking there is no set rule on this matter. A girl cheering all 4 years in high school does not have a better chance necessarily than a girl who never cheered for a school. To clarify further on what the parent was implying: Most colleges do not want to have to teach basic sideline stuff to college cheerleaders, they expect that you know that already. They are not going to spend time to teach you proper motion placement and technique, the difference between offense/defense, how to get a crowd involved, or the appropriate timing of chants. Unless your at a college that has very basic/beginner squads, they are going to expect you to know the basics of being a "cheerleader." While this stuff is pretty easy, if you've never done it you look... well awkward. Taking a few privates from a college cheerleader, or someone with good cheer experience will get you ready for college if you don't have a good high school squad to prepare you. Also just going to college games and seeing how their cheerleaders cheer will help prepare you. College coaches are well aware that not all school squads have a good or qualified coach, they will not penalize you for never cheering in high school, but they will if you don't know how to cheer.

Latest posts

Back