All-Star Armpit Smell And Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Bumping this because this season we've been told we can only wash our uniforms MAX 2 times. Last season I used sports deodorant and it helped but I noticed that if I didn't wash my uni, it would smell anyways. Does anyone have any tips for reducing the smell since I can't wash it? Some moms said they put their kids unis in a ziploc bag so it was ready to go for next comp but I feel like I would need to air mine out or something

Bumping this because this season we've been told we can only wash our uniforms MAX 2 times. Last season I used sports deodorant and it helped but I noticed that if I didn't wash my uni, it would smell anyways. Does anyone have any tips for reducing the smell since I can't wash it? Some moms said they put their kids unis in a ziploc bag so it was ready to go for next comp but I feel like I would need to air mine out or something
The geniuses who make jeans and say you're not supposed to wash them suggest putting them in the freezer overnight. I've yet to try it, but the Baldwin Denim guy swears he only washes his jeans annually.

I use fabreeze between days for 2 day comps, and on dance costumes that have to be worn multiple times but cant be washed.

Our unis have a TON of stoning on them this year and its the first time I have dealt with more than a dozen or so stones on a uni, so I am apprehensive about washing too. I will likely be limiting the number of washes because we have to go 2 years with this uni.

I can't even imagine not being able to wash my kid's uniform. The only thing I can suggest is maybe the enzyme stuff that is used for hockey equipment?

First no bras, now no cleaning. LOL.

Sorry, to be useful: try baking soda. Make it a thick paste with water, rub into pit area. Let dry (It'll dry back in its powdered form.) Shake it out/rub off the excess. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd try the enzymes @quitthedrama mentioned.
Right?! Lol. My gym was all about the clear strapped bras last year, thankfully this year they using a lulu bra with crossed straps that'll show throw the back cut out.. should look pretty!

I'd keep your kid out of the uniform as much as possible then, especially at warm competitions. I also agree with airing out the uniform. Perhaps you could "steam" it in the bathroom with a hot shower running and a load of febreze in the air?

Also, I don't know what kind of underarm stuff your kid is wearing but I'm personally a big fan of Old Spice or another men's deodorant and anti perspirant. Make sure it's a combo. I think the men's stuff is stronger than the women's. I have an Old Spice that is just deodorant and it's a clear blue roll on. I've actually rolled that on the insides of things to erase smells. No stain and no residue.

My uniforms that are harder to wash (stoning, glitter, etc) usually get a hand wash of the underarms only. Rinse the area well and lay out to dry. The rest doesn't get touched. But I'v never noticed smell from anywhere than the armpits, so the rest doesn't seem to hold as much sweat

I swear by Sports-Wash by Atsko. Hunters use it to remove human scent from clothing. I wash anything goose-down with it and all our athletic gear. It's awesome.

Any chance you could just take it to a reputable dry cleaners and explain to them the issue? They might be able to do something for you/might know how to clean the uniform in a way that won't damage it. If you can find one that works with dance studios or theaters, places that clean intricate costumes, they might be knowledgeable in how to help.(What is it even made of that you can't wash it more than twice? Why would the gym even pick that option? What happens if you have to keep the uniform for a second or third season??? I have so many questions...)

I've recently switched to a natural deoderant after I found that the commercial stuff I was wearing started to smell awful both on my clothes and me lol. It's salt based, it's like Thai Crystal deoderant. It comes in both spray and stone form. You definitely have to make sure it dries before putting shirts on but it's worked wonders for me and it doesn't leave any gross smells on my clothes. Even during my sweatiest of workouts.

There is a bag of rocks you can buy at the sporting goods store that is to get odors out of your gym bag. Just put the uni in a bag with them and they will absorb the odor out. Doesn't tackle dirt or stains, just odor.

Any chance you could just take it to a reputable dry cleaners and explain to them the issue? They might be able to do something for you/might know how to clean the uniform in a way that won't damage it. If you can find one that works with dance studios or theaters, places that clean intricate costumes, they might be knowledgeable in how to help.(What is it even made of that you can't wash it more than twice? Why would the gym even pick that option? What happens if you have to keep the uniform for a second or third season??? I have so many questions...)

I've recently switched to a natural deoderant after I found that the commercial stuff I was wearing started to smell awful both on my clothes and me lol. It's salt based, it's like Thai Crystal deoderant. It comes in both spray and stone form. You definitely have to make sure it dries before putting shirts on but it's worked wonders for me and it doesn't leave any gross smells on my clothes. Even during my sweatiest of workouts.
Oh yeah I didn't think of places that deal with dance costumes, that could definitely help!
And I think they want to limit the number of washes because of all the stoning? I'm not sure though, it doesn't really make sense lol. For the record the uninforms are made by varsity and rebel so idk if that makes a difference?

Oh yeah I didn't think of places that deal with dance costumes, that could definitely help!
And I think they want to limit the number of washes because of all the stoning? I'm not sure though, it doesn't really make sense lol. For the record the uninforms are made by varsity and rebel so idk if that makes a difference?
Lots of dance costumes cannot be washed at all because of the sequins and trims used. CP had one we used for 3 performances that said "do not wash, do not dry clean". Fabreeze was a lifesaver.

Back