OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm not going to write Laney off yet because as @njallday said, her progress has been remarkable. I don't see a U.S. Olympic roster for her, but if she is able to represent a different country it is a definite possibility. I know it was a rough day for her, but if cheerleading taught her anything, it should be how to perform. I hope she brings that to her next competition.

I'm not going to write Laney off yet because as @njallday said, her progress has been remarkable. I don't see a U.S. Olympic roster for her, but if she is able to represent a different country it is a definite possibility. I know it was a rough day for her, but if cheerleading taught her anything, it should be how to perform. I hope she brings that to her next competition.

She isnt eligible to compete at nationals this year.

I know it was a rough day for her, but if cheerleading taught her anything, it should be how to perform. I hope she brings that to her next competition.

I only saw her floor routine, but I was surprised at how almost lack-luster the performance was. She didn't look happy, and there wasn't a "performance" element to it the way most other gymnasts have--admittedly I watched a lot more NCAA gymnastics this year than I have anything else, and that could have something to do with my perception. I was just surprised that she didn't have more flair and showmanship coming from cheerleading, I guess.

I only saw her floor routine, but I was surprised at how almost lack-luster the performance was. She didn't look happy, and there wasn't a "performance" element to it the way most other gymnasts have--admittedly I watched a lot more NCAA gymnastics this year than I have anything else, and that could have something to do with my perception. I was just surprised that she didn't have more flair and showmanship coming from cheerleading, I guess.

I agree. Her face read like someone who just wanted to get through it and be done.

Technique aside, all of her routines look extremely labored and like she is not conditioned enough. Especially floor. Her landings are low and she lacks power. While bars is a weak event for her, I loved that she threw in some German elements that we don't see often. More reason she should find a way to gain citizenship in Germany ;)

I recorded it and watched on tv, plus just watched that floor again. She has the power skills, but they need to be cleaned up and she would benefit a TON from watering down and performing clean. That floor routine is doing her no favors, and honestly that to me is a coaching problem more than a Laney problem. It's boring to watch and they tried to pack too much tumbling into it, so then the execution was bad too. At this point, I wish I could see her at another gym with different coaches because I think she does have the potential to do well, especially with another couple of years under her belt. She could peak at the right time, especially to compete for another country.

Technique aside, all of her routines look extremely labored and like she is not conditioned enough. Especially floor. Her landings are low and she lacks power. While bars is a weak event for her, I loved that she threw in some German elements that we don't see often. More reason she should find a way to gain citizenship in Germany ;)
I LOVE the German giant + Pak combo she does on bars. It's so messy, but so unique. Even if she obtained German citizenship though, I doubt she would come anywhere close to making their team (at the level she is right now).

She's at the same gym that trained Kyla Ross and I'm surprised her coaches are letting her compete so much difficulty/even compete elite at all right now since they were so slow to have Kyla do any upgrades. She's improved a lot (and I think she can only improve going forward), but her technique and form are just awful lol so I think she would benefit a lot from downgrading and holding off on competing until her technique, form, and overall fitness level improve.

Ellie Downie definitely out for the World champs due to having ankle surgery. Think we will really miss her but this rehab period should mean she is better for the Commonwealth Games next year.

I LOVE the German giant + Pak combo she does on bars. It's so messy, but so unique. Even if she obtained German citizenship though, I doubt she would come anywhere close to making their team (at the level she is right now).

She's at the same gym that trained Kyla Ross and I'm surprised her coaches are letting her compete so much difficulty/even compete elite at all right now since they were so slow to have Kyla do any upgrades. She's improved a lot (and I think she can only improve going forward), but her technique and form are just awful lol so I think she would benefit a lot from downgrading and holding off on competing until her technique, form, and overall fitness level improve.

Im not into gymnastics at all,but the reactions here made me look up laney madsen's beam routine.
She fell 4 times and the entire time i was thinking why are you competing at all.
And if you feel you MUST compete, why go for the highest difficulty when you dont have the experience in execution/competing?
If you lower it,and perform clean, it would be so much better plus she might actually enjoy it.
I applaud her work ethic, discipline and the fact she has goals she wants to reach , but its going to be a long road ahead.

I thought for sure you were going to say "if cheerleading taught her anything, it should be how to hop gyms & countries to get your best chance at a medal." Oops.

Back