OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
has the entire 2012 olympic team come forward with allegations... i have to wonder if any one around the 2008 era, will or have come forward.

I absolutely applaud Aly's take no prison's show no mercy approach in her speech.

has the entire 2012 olympic team come forward with allegations... i have to wonder if any one around the 2008 era, will or have come forward.

Kyla Ross has not come forward from 2012. The abuse dates back 30 years so you can assume that if they were apart of any US or Olympic Team...etc, they have likely been effected. The only one that jumps out at me who probably wasn't would be Nastia because of her father. Whether or not they chose to identify themselves is another thing. Accepting that you are a victim can be devastating and for some, it's easier to push it into a box and never let it out.

I absolutely applaud Aly's take no prison's show no mercy approach in her speech.

Kyla Ross has not come forward from 2012. The abuse dates back 30 years so you can assume that if they were apart of any US or Olympic Team...etc, they have likely been effected. The only one that jumps out at me who probably wasn't would be Nastia because of her father. Whether or not they chose to identify themselves is another thing. Accepting that you are a victim can be devastating and for some, it's easier to push it into a box and never let it out.
Nastia confirmed that she was never abused by Nassar, I think her father being her coach then spared her from all the trauma.

Nastia confirmed that she was never abused by Nassar, I think her father being her coach then spared her from all the trauma.

Thanks! I never saw her confirm or deny, but this doesn't surprise me. I remember reading once that he took total control over her coaching after she got a black eye once and he's always struck me as a guy who would have a shot gun ready if someone went after his daughter. I'm thankful for her, just wish the rest of them weren't spared as well.

Question for everyone:

Do you think the abuse will change the predominant trajectory of elite gymnastics that says "train as well as you can where you live, then send your kid to a more elite coach across the country?" (For those who choose not to move with their kids, at, least.)

See also: "allow my kid to move with friend or host family to cheer on XYZ." I know it has not come out yet, but the industry is not immune.

Question for everyone:

Do you think the abuse will change the predominant trajectory of elite gymnastics that says "train as well as you can where you live, then send your kid to a more elite coach across the country?" (For those who choose not to move with their kids, at, least.)

See also: "allow my kid to move with friend or host family to cheer on XYZ." I know it has not come out yet, but the industry is not immune.
My guess is no. Susie’s Mom lives in the gymnastics world too.

Question for everyone:

No.

I mean no shade at Gina Nichols because hindsight is 20/20, but this statement tells me all I need to know about the lengths parents will go when their child's dreams are on the line. Larry Nassar sexually abused their daughter and for an entire year after it was reported, they continued to send her into the hands of not only the abuser, but also those who facilitated and enables his actions. If your own daughter coming to you and saying, "This happened," doesn't trump her Olympic dream...what would?

"According to the complaint, then–USA Gymnastics CEO Steve Penny “discouraged [Gina and John Nichols, Maggie’s parents] from reporting Nassar’s conduct to law enforcement and pressured them to keep the matter quiet.”

“I got a phone call probably the next day [from] Steve Penny,” Gina told SI. “He called me, I don’t know how many times, to talk to me about it and make sure that I understood they were taking care of it. When I have the president of USA Gymnastics telling me what to do, he’s in a position of power over me. We’ve given our whole family up to get our daughter to this point and [when] I have Steve Penny telling me this is what we’re going to do, we’re going to be quiet, I’m going to listen to him. I’m not going to jeopardize my daughter’s chance of going to the Olympics.""

Article: Maggie Nichols says Larry Nassar sexually abused her | SI.com

I've been watching. It just gets more disgusting every day. So many need to go to jail, and Nassar just needs to have the same thing done to him every day in prison that he has done to his victims.

Back